Slate: Furious at Facebook Again!

Synthaholic

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2010
Furious at Facebook Again!

When a man tried to return my lost laptop, Facebook hid his messages from me. How come?

On Nov. 15 at approximately 11:45 p.m., I left my 1-month-old MacBook Air in the back of a New York City cab. Quickly realizing my error, I freaked out: Hands shaking, I dialed the city’s Taxi and Limousine Commission, reported the cab’s medallion number (I had a receipt) and jotted down the phone number of city precincts where my cargo could end up (if a good Samaritan turned it in). Then, I slumped against the side of a building and sobbed.

Of course, it was only a computer. But this superficial, expensive thing contained a completed story that I was supposed to send an editor at this magazine the following morning. And all of my notes for said story, which I had come to New York to write. No, I didn’t save my files to an external hard drive and no I did not have insurance on the computer. The next morning, I chugged coffee and rewrote the story. I tracked down the cab driver; he claimed he never found it. A week later, I reluctantly purchased a new laptop. And that was that.

Until today, when a colleague at Slate sent an email around about the messages Facebook hides in an obscure folder labeled “Other.” Haven’t heard of it? Click the Messages tab on the left side of your Facebook screen. “Other” will then appear beneath it. Click on Other and you will unearth months of messages you probably missed. (Blogger Erika Napoletano has great, annotated screengrabs to guide you through this process.) When I did just this, I inhaled sharply: A man had sent me four very important messages: two on Nov. 16, one on the 17th, and another on the 18th.

“Please let me know if you lost something and identify what you lost,” said the first one. “Did you forget something?? Please identify what you lost,” pleaded the second. “Are you the one who lost something? Please respond and identify. I saw your name in the bag I found,” said the third message. Finally, he surrendered to specifics: “Dear Elizabeth, I found your laptop in a taxi. Please call me at xxxxxxxxx.”

I dialed the number immediately. A man picked up the phone. “I’m so sorry, I just saw your Facebook message!” I breathed. “Do you still have my laptop?” He said that he did have it, but that I should call him back in a couple of hours—he was in the middle of something important. I told him I’d call him back. Then I sent a series of all-caps emails to my colleagues about the fiasco (so professional), and, of course, updated my Facebook status to reflect my wrath (so meta).

How could Facebook do this? Why would they do this? Facebook messages are the social networking site’s version of emails (or at least they were before they introduced a version of Facebook email last November). Users can send them to friends by clicking the “message” icon at the top of a profile, or by clicking the “new message” button at the top of the Messages landing page. I asked a Facebook representative how, when, and why the messaging system was changed to include this sneaky Other tab.

*snip*

Facebook is a massive catalog of a whole lot of nothing.

"I got up this morning and had coffee"
"Me too"
[liked]
"I like coffee"
[5 likes]
"I have a cool coffee mug" [photo]
[liked twice]

If I post a political message or video on FaceBook I'll rarely get responses.

If I post how delicious Starbucks Coffee is I'll get a bunch of responses.

I've been told that I should maintain a FaceBook page so that family can keep in touch with me but then I found out most people just talk about each other via private message so it doesn't really matter.

I've been told that I should maintain a FaceBook page so that family can keep in touch with me but then I found out most people just talk about each other via private message so it doesn't really matter.

You got it.
I am both afraid and ashamed each time I realize the shallow depth of the average persons thoughts.
I too have posted videos commentaries on facebook and got bubkus.
I post up some meaningless comment cause I am bored - and I see a string of responses.

You got it.
I am both afraid and ashamed each time I realize the shallow depth of the average persons thoughts.

Ramnit worm steals 45k Facebook passwords...
:mad:
Worm steals 45,000 Facebook passwords, researchers say
5 January 2012 - More malware is worming its way onto social networks.
A computer worm has stolen 45,000 login credentials from Facebook, security experts have warned. The data is believed to have been taken largely from Facebook accounts in the UK and France, according to security firm Seculert. The culprit is a well-known piece of malware - dubbed Ramnit - which has been around since April 2010 and has previously stolen banking details. Facebook told the BBC that it was looking into the issue.

The latest iteration of the worm was discovered in the labs of security firm Seculert. "We suspect that the attackers behind Ramnit are using the stolen credentials to login to victims' Facebook accounts and to transmit malicious links to their friends, thereby magnifying the malware's spread even further," said the researchers on the firm's blog. "In addition, cybercriminals are taking advantage of the fact that users tend to use the same password in various web-based services to gain remote access to corporate networks," it added.

'Viral power'

Social networks offer rich pickings for hackers because of the huge amount of personal data that is stored on them. Increasingly malware is being updated for the social networking age. "It appears that sophisticated hackers are now experimenting with replacing the old-school email worms with more up-to-date social network worms. As demonstrated by the 45,000 compromised Facebook subscribers, the viral power of social networks can be manipulated to cause considerable damage to individuals and institutions when it is in the wrong hands," said Seculert. According to Seculert, 800,000 machines were infected with Ramnit from September to the end of December 2011.

Microsoft's Malware Protection Center (MMPC) described Ramnit as "a multi-component malware family which infects Windows executable as well as HTML files... stealing sensitive information such as stored FTP credentials and browser cookies". In July 2011 a Symantec report estimated that Ramnit worm variants accounted for 17.3% of all new malicious software infections. For Facebook users concerned that they have been affected by the worm, the advice is to run anti-virus software. "It won't necessarily be obvious that you have been attacked. The worm is stealing passwords so it is not going to announce itself," said Graham Cluley, senior security consultant at Sophos.

BBC News - Worm steals 45,000 Facebook passwords, researchers say

Hate facebook, the only reason I have it is for family really, or people I just met. It's boring garbage.

Ramnit worm steals 45k Facebook passwords...
:mad:
Worm steals 45,000 Facebook passwords, researchers say
5 January 2012 - More malware is worming its way onto social networks.
A computer worm has stolen 45,000 login credentials from Facebook, security experts have warned. The data is believed to have been taken largely from Facebook accounts in the UK and France, according to security firm Seculert. The culprit is a well-known piece of malware - dubbed Ramnit - which has been around since April 2010 and has previously stolen banking details. Facebook told the BBC that it was looking into the issue.

The latest iteration of the worm was discovered in the labs of security firm Seculert. "We suspect that the attackers behind Ramnit are using the stolen credentials to login to victims' Facebook accounts and to transmit malicious links to their friends, thereby magnifying the malware's spread even further," said the researchers on the firm's blog. "In addition, cybercriminals are taking advantage of the fact that users tend to use the same password in various web-based services to gain remote access to corporate networks," it added.

'Viral power'

Social networks offer rich pickings for hackers because of the huge amount of personal data that is stored on them. Increasingly malware is being updated for the social networking age. "It appears that sophisticated hackers are now experimenting with replacing the old-school email worms with more up-to-date social network worms. As demonstrated by the 45,000 compromised Facebook subscribers, the viral power of social networks can be manipulated to cause considerable damage to individuals and institutions when it is in the wrong hands," said Seculert. According to Seculert, 800,000 machines were infected with Ramnit from September to the end of December 2011.

Microsoft's Malware Protection Center (MMPC) described Ramnit as "a multi-component malware family which infects Windows executable as well as HTML files... stealing sensitive information such as stored FTP credentials and browser cookies". In July 2011 a Symantec report estimated that Ramnit worm variants accounted for 17.3% of all new malicious software infections. For Facebook users concerned that they have been affected by the worm, the advice is to run anti-virus software. "It won't necessarily be obvious that you have been attacked. The worm is stealing passwords so it is not going to announce itself," said Graham Cluley, senior security consultant at Sophos.

BBC News - Worm steals 45,000 Facebook passwords, researchers say
There's a cure for that: http://bit.ly/6i2Ix5 http://tinyurl.com/z6ow8

possum likes usin' a password - makes him feel like he's a secret agent...

Passwords Could Soon Be Obsolete
January 13, 2012 - IBM lists 5 innovations it expects in next 5 years
Technology is constantly narrowing the gap between science fiction and reality, bringing fundamental changes into our lives. According to IBM researchers, in five years we won’t need passwords, won’t be bothered by junk mail and will be able to control many of our machines with our minds. The American technology company released its 6th annual Five-in-Five, a list of five innovations the firm expects to see within five years. One of them will enable us to generate small amounts of energy to supplement the electric power we use in our homes.

“You can do micro-electronic generation,” says Bernie Meyerson, vice president of Innovation at IBM. “For instance, you can have somebody in the third world who has access to a phone or a smart phone, but doesn’t have access to a power grid, which is a very common thing and literally in a shoe has something that recovers energy from walking and can charge the battery to enable that person to actually become connected with the rest of the world.” Another innovation will make those hard-to-remember passwords obsolete. Soon, in order to access our e-mail or bank account, we'll use a technology known as biometrics. A tiny sensor could confirm your identity by recognizing the unique patterns in the retina of your eye. “Imagine that things recognize you," Meyerson says. "You walk up to an ATM. It takes one look at you and says, ‘Yep, you’re you.’”

Within five years, it's possible we'll no longer be inundated with junk mail, because a new electronic device will delete it before we ever see it. “That device, as you act upon it, as you eliminate mail, you don’t read it, you just look at it and kill it," Meyerson says, "after a while it learns your habits and works as your assistant by eliminating stuff you never wanted anyway.” IBM also sees us controlling many of our electronic devices telepathically. “A simple ability to command a system to do something without actually doing or saying anything, literally thinking and having something happen, as a result, that’s accurate," Meyerson says. "Something with deep capability so that a person, for instance, who is paraplegic or quadriplegic, can actually utilize brain waves to make things happen and basically run their own lives independently.”

The fifth innovation on IBM’s list is the elimination of the so-called “digital divide,” between those who are and aren't connected. "We anticipate that, in five years, better than 80 percent of coverage of the world populations by cellular phones and smart phones," Meyerson says. "At this point, imagine having, for instance, the ability to speak openly with anybody anywhere, anytime and in any language, real-time translation - literally the old Star Trek idea of a universal translator coming to be.”

IBM’s track record of predictions over the past five years has been mixed. Some predictions are still not reality. In 2006, for example, IBM researchers predicted there would be a 3D Internet by now. However, in 2009, they predicted city buildings would “sense and respond” like living organisms. Three years later, that future is here. At a New York art museum, sensors are detecting subtle fluctuations in temperature, humidity, air flow and light levels, and adjusting the building’s environment to help preserve the works of art. What’s important about the Five-in-Five list, says IBM’s Meyerson, is it encourages the researchers to turn as much of their innovative imagination as possible into practical realities.

Source

See also:

Michigan girl with Huntington's Disease who was taunted on Facebook, dies
January 12, 2012 | The sick 9-year-old Michigan girl who drew media attention after her grandmother’s neighbor posted gruesome pictures of her on Facebook, died Wednesday night, her father told MyFoxDetroit.com.
Kathleen Edward was in the final stages of Huntington’s Disease, the same illness that claimed the lives of her mother and grandfather, the report said. Edward received an outpouring of support from well-wishers from around the world dismayed by morbid pictures posted by neighbor Jennifer Petkov, who later apologized for her actions.

These pictures included Edward’s face with her eyes closed and a pair of crossed bones beneath them, and a picture of her mother in the arms of the Grim Reaper. The families were reportedly in a feud with each other.

In October 2010, thousands rallied to help her family raise money and treated the girl to a shopping spree at a local toy store. Petkov, meanwhile, is on probation after allegedly trying to run over another neighbor with her car shortly after the story broke, the report said.

Source

Mad Scientist said:

Exactly........As most people on there are............................

Starbucks Coffee being delicious is not a controversial idea. Your boss or co-workers or business contacts are not going to be upset because you like Starbucks Coffee.

I'm amazed that this concept needs to be explained.

Starbucks Coffee being delicious is not a controversial idea. Your boss or co-workers or business contacts are not going to be upset because you like Starbucks Coffee.

I'm amazed that this concept needs to be explained.

There's a simple solution....... and I'd be amazed if this concept needs to be explained...... :eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back