Slain boy's mom discusses cult life

High_Gravity

Belligerent Drunk
Nov 19, 2010
Richmond VA
This is some sick shit.:evil:

AP Exclusive: Slain boy's mom discusses cult life

28242002e425d313f70e6a7067007759.jpg

WESTMINSTER, Md. (AP) — When Ria Ramkissoon's spiritual mentor ordered her to deny food and water to her toddler son, she didn't know what to think or do. She was paralyzed by fear and confusion.

The 19-year-old mother had been living with the woman, who called herself Queen Antoinette, for several months when Ramkissoon's son did not say "amen" before a meal one morning. That word was one of the few Javon Thompson could say at 15 months old, and Antoinette told Ramkissoon not to feed him until he said it. Like always, she cited the Bible as her authority.

In Antoinette's unusual household — which police and prosecutors later described as a cult — no one questioned her orders.

Ramkissoon thought about defying her leader, grabbing Javon and leaving the house. But she didn't think Antoinette would maliciously make up her claim that the boy was possessed by an evil spirit. And she didn't want to defy God's will, guaranteeing eternal damnation.

So she did nothing.

Nobody else in the 10-person household came to Javon's aid either. Over the next week, he whimpered and grew sluggish and sallow. By the time Antoinette relented and told Ramkissoon to feed the boy, it was too late. Javon died in his mother's arms.

Investigators discovered his body more than a year later.

Antoinette is serving a 50-year sentence for second-degree murder; her adult daughter and another follower are also in prison.

Now living in a faith-based treatment center, Ramkissoon says she knows it's difficult to comprehend how any mother could watch her son starve. She freely uses the word "crazy" to describe her actions, which were set in motion by her desire to provide a better home for her son.

"It's like it's somebody else's life, but it's not," Ramkissoon told The Associated Press in her first interview since Javon's death. "That is my life, and those are the choices that I've made and those were the fears that I dealt with, no matter how ridiculous they may be to somebody else."

For years, Ramkissoon clung to the belief that Javon would be resurrected, as Antoinette said he would. When Ramkissoon pleaded guilty to child abuse resulting in death, she insisted on a provision stating that her plea would be withdrawn if Javon came back to life.

Only since her release from custody last year has she fully let go of that belief, allowing her to properly mourn the boy who would have turned 6 on Saturday.

"None of that had to happen to him. He's in a house surrounded by people who are basically doing this to him," Ramkissoon said. "I felt like if anyone had a responsibility to him there that it was me, and I basically gave that up. So yeah, that's a difficult thing. To die and to suffer in that kind of way, that's not easy to have to swallow. That's something that I'm very much responsible for, as much as anybody else."

___

For much of her life, Ramkissoon has felt isolated and confused. She believed in God but didn't understand how to practice her faith, making her vulnerable to someone who claimed to have all the answers.

When she was 7, she left her native Trinidad to join her mother and a new American stepfather in Baltimore. Her mother is Hindu but didn't practice her religion in the United States.

Ramkissoon sought solace in Christianity, but became disillusioned with traditional churches. When she tried to read the Bible on her own, she was frustrated and sometimes threw it against the wall in anger.

Shortly after Ramkissoon graduated high school, she began dating a young troublemaker named Robert Thompson. He was her first boyfriend, and even when he ended up in jail, she insisted he was a good guy. He got her pregnant around her 18th birthday.

Thompson broke off the relationship before Javon was born. The only times he saw his son were through a plastic barrier at the Baltimore jail when Ramkissoon brought Javon for visits every Friday. Thompson was ultimately acquitted of charges including attempted murder. The AP could not locate him for comment for this story.

AP Exclusive: Slain boy's mom discusses cult life - Yahoo! News

This is one face of evil.

Its scary cause this "Queen" had so much power over the people in that house, if you can convince a woman to starve her child you can convince her to do anything.

It's interesting to look at how it could happen that this "Queen" had that much influence on this woman. She actually believed that her baby was possessed by an evil spirit. Seems more likely "Queen" was possessed.

Last edited:
This is one face of evil.

Its scary cause this "Queen" had so much power over the people in that house, if you can convince a woman to starve her child you can convince her to do anything.

It's interesting to look at how it could happen that this "Queen" had that much influence on this woman. She actually believed that her baby was possessed by an evil spirit. Seems more likely "Queen" was possessed.

Usually people who organize cults like this make considerable amounts of money but it didn't seem like this one did, they were thrown out of the house they lived in and had to leave Baltimore to go to New York and were basically couch hopping until the "Queen" convinced some guy to let them all stay at their apartment, sounds more like a traveling band of gypsies more than anything, this whole thing is bizarre and very terrible.

Usually people who organize cults like this make considerable amounts of money but it didn't seem like this one did, they were thrown out of the house they lived in and had to leave Baltimore to go to New York and were basically couch hopping until the "Queen" convinced some guy to let them all stay at their apartment, sounds more like a traveling band of gypsies more than anything, this whole thing is bizarre and very terrible.

It just goes to show that cults come in all shapes and forms. This is so sad, to me. A vulnerable person, homeless, getting roped into some crazy woman's evil. And to have killed her own child by starving him to death is unimaginable horror.

Last edited:

It just goes to show that cults come in all shapes and forms. This is so sad, to me. A vulnerable person, homeless, getting roped into some crazy woman's evil. And to have killed her own child by starving him to death is unimaginable horror.

This is something she is going to have to live with for the rest of her life, if I were the childs father I would be seething with rage.

This is something she is going to have to live with for the rest of her life, if I were the childs father I would be seething with rage.

Yeah, if you were the child's father, rage would be completely understandable. It breaks my heart to hear about this. Where was Child Protective Services? The boy's body was found a year after he died. Why wasn't this reported?

TEN people lived there in that apartment. Why did no one wake up? This was Bible-based abuse.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back