Size Matters (but not the way you think) Pickup Trucks

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
A pickup truck, conceptually, is a vehicle that provides a space for the driver and a passenger, but its PURPOSE (as opposed to a car) is to provide space and capacity to haul large, heavy stuff, and to tow heavy stuff. The traditional bed lengths are 6-1/2 feet and 8 feet. A "full size" truck will fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood/drywall between the wheel wells with the gate closed, and with the gate open for the short bed. Even a short bed truck can be used to haul mulch (the suburbanite's main "truck" need), because the loaders that load the mulch normally have a 6' bucket, which makes everything work fine.

There used to be a class called, "compact" pickup trucks, which were basically the size of a mid-sized car (about 190"). They had either a 5 or a 6 foot bed, and could accommodate a sheet of drywall, sitting on top of the wheel wells, and extending off the end of the bed. The manufacturers sometimes made arrangements for this normal load, by putting indents in the sidewalls of the bed for 2x4 braces, so that a sheet of drywall could sit flat on those 2x4's.

"Mid-Size" pickups were, as you might imagine, somewhere between standard and compact. The classic mid-size was the Dodge Dakota.

Special mention should be given to the Honda Ridgeline here. This marvelously-designed truck, while stuck with a bed that is under 6', it still allows comfortable transport of plywood, because it is 49" BETWEEN the wheel-wells - the only mid-size truck ever to have this capacity. It had/has many other unique features as well, but they are not relevant here.

The grandfather of today's pickups, the Ford F1, remains the prototype. Coming with either a 6-1/2 foot or an 8 foot bed, the overall length was about 190 or 205, depending on bed length. Drywall would lay flat on the bed, between the wheelwells.

For comparison, today's standard family sedans (Honda Accord, Chevy Malibu, etc) are about 190" or a little more. The Europeans are more efficient with space, and they run a little shorter.

Most modern garages can accommodate a vehicle of 190" fairly comfortably. When you go over 200" it gets tight.

The gargantuan full-size pickup trucks of today - the ones that generate the most sales and profits for the manufacturers - are four-passenger, 4-door, short bed absurdities. At about 230" long, very few garages will accommodate them, even if the roof will clear the garage doors. If you order the one with an 8' bed, you are more than a foot longer, and it will either live outdoors or have a dedicated garage. Most of these monsters are traded in without ever having got their beds dirty. Fucking pretenders.

Because full-size pickups sell so well, and are so profitable, the "Big Three" dropped their mid-size pickups a few years ago. But then GM brought back a gussied-up new Colorado, and Ford will shortly follow with their new Ranger, which has been selling overseas all along. The U.S. Ranger will be a little bigger than the old one was - about 211".

But these mid-size pickups, being more than 210" long, and with a relatively short bed (less than 6' long) are near worthless as trucks. So you have an expensive truck that is almost too big to fit in a garage, but lacks any real cargo capacity.

What's the point?

Somebody should bring back the compact P/U. 190-195" long, with a full six-foot bed.

I drive a 2000 Chevy S10. It has the short cab, thus the long bed for a small size pickup truck. It’s paid for.

I see the huge truck that many people own today to be today’s status symbol vehicle.

I've had a number of Pick Ups. My first was a Ford F150 with a straight 6 and 4 on the floor 8 foot bed. I liked that truck. I got it as a used fleet deal had it for 8 or 9 years.

Next was an F350 Super Duty with the 7.3 liter diesel. That thing was a beast I used it for everything. There wasn't anything that beast could not tow.
I let it go a couple years ago for almost what I paid for it. ( bought it used)

Now I have a 2012 F150 STX with the 5 liter V8. I got the standard cab and the 6.5 foot bed.

I like the truck that V8 has some balls and is fun as hell to drive but I will say I miss the 8 foot bed

Love my full size Tundra.
But good God the mpg's SUCK after lifting it and getting bigger tires.
5.7 liter V8. 9.5 city 13 hwy. and 7.5 towing the Polaris.

upload_2018-1-15_11-4-1.png

Vintage Ford is the best. Bring back the Ranger and dump all that aluminum and go steel in a comeback of Ford Tough vintage models.

Pickup trucks.

Another thing I don’t get (along with tattoos and Facebook).

I mean why would anyone willingly drive a pickup truck (or any other gargantuan sized fuck you mobile) if they didn’t have to?

Last edited:
Pickup trucks.

Another thing I don’t get )along with tattoos and Facebook).

I mean why would anyone willingly drive a pickup truck (or any other gargantuan sized fuck you mobile) if they didn’t have to?

Same reason some guys get super fast muscle cars and sports cars. They are either (a) having a midlife crisis, (b) compensating for some inadequacy, or (c) a combination of both.

Same reason some guys get super fast muscle cars and sports cars. They are either (a) having a midlife crisis, (b) compensating for some inadequacy, or (c) a combination of both.

But at least muscle cars and sports cars are fun to drive.

A pickup truck or giant SUV looks like it would be a pain in the ass to get around in.

A pickup truck or giant SUV looks like it would be a pain in the ass to get around in.

Depends on where you live. Growing up in the mountains of Montana, my family always had at least one pickup truck that was capable of going damn near anywhere. Had to have it for hunting and getting firewood in the fall.

And, although I enjoy watching Velocity channel and seeing the various custom cars out there that are being built, I wouldn't really want to have a super car either.

My vehicle of choice would be an El Camino or a Ranchero with a reliable, fast engine, adjustable air suspension and large street racing wheels, painted either dark blue or black. Put in a wooden bed (a nice oak), and have 2 bicycle mounts up near the cab for transporting bicycles.

Yeah.....................I've thought about this a little bit.

Pickup trucks.

I use my lifted truck for its purpose.
One which doesnt require lift...
upload_2018-2-12_17-45-21.png

upload_2018-2-12_17-48-59.png

Although this acces requires a lifted 4 wheel drive.

I've had a number of Pick Ups. My first was a Ford F150 with a straight 6 and 4 on the floor 8 foot bed. I liked that truck. I got it as a used fleet deal had it for 8 or 9 years.

Next was an F350 Super Duty with the 7.3 liter diesel. That thing was a beast I used it for everything. There wasn't anything that beast could not tow.
I let it go a couple years ago for almost what I paid for it. ( bought it used)

Now I have a 2012 F150 STX with the 5 liter V8. I got the standard cab and the 6.5 foot bed.

I like the truck that V8 has some balls and is fun as hell to drive but I will say I miss the 8 foot bed
You've just made a declaration of possessing common sense.

Pickup trucks.

I have never thought having a vehicle as a status symbol was a wise move... Most vehicles are a losing proposition financially... Vehicles are tools to get from point A to point B and back to A most of the time... I guess if you need to look cool doing that, that is your business.
I have only owned one automobile in my life that I drove on a daily basis that was not a pickup... 1963 Rambler Station wagon... I gave $50.00 for it and drove it for a year... Rest of my transportation were pickups... My tally whacker is average in size, I suppose so I don't feel that I was compensating for size...Midlife crisis? I don't think so as I drove a pickup for 45+ years...
While some of you dislike pickups, I question some of these beer cans folks are driving around today... I have shit bigger turds than some of these little red wagons...

:113:It’s about time, said Kelley Blue Book senior analyst Karl Brauer.

“The old Ranger was kind of an enigma as the last compact truck on the market, after the Tacoma, the Frontier and the Canyon all got bigger,” Brauer said. “The new one is not little anymore, so it has finally caught up with the midsize trucks.”

Like its larger F-150 sibling, the Ranger will feature a high-strength steel frame paired with frame-mounted steel bumpers. It will feature some aluminum parts, also like the F-150, including the hood and tailgate.

Pickup trucks.

I have never thought having a vehicle as a status symbol was a wise move... Most vehicles are a losing proposition financially... Vehicles are tools to get from point A to point B and back to A most of the time... I guess if you need to look cool doing that, that is your business.
I have only owned one automobile in my life that I drove on a daily basis that was not a pickup... 1963 Rambler Station wagon... I gave $50.00 for it and drove it for a year... Rest of my transportation were pickups... My tally whacker is average in size, I suppose so I don't feel that I was compensating for size...Midlife crisis? I don't think so as I drove a pickup for 45+ years...
While some of you dislike pickups, I question some of these beer cans folks are driving around today... I have shit bigger turds than some of these little red wagons...

I've driven a status symbol since I've been able to afford it.
In fact I've found the only way I'll keep a truck long term is to modify it to my needs which of course is evident when you see my truck.
Add my 100 club stickers and my vanity plates that pretty much say fuck you I'm from Texas and I'm proud to drive my Truck.

upload_2018-2-12_19-1-56.png

Pickup trucks.

In fact I've found the only way I'll keep a truck long term is to modify it to my needs which of course is evident when you see my truck.
Add my 100 club stickers and my vanity plates that pretty much say fuck you I'm from Texas and I'm proud to drive my Truck.

Looks like a very practical and sensible vehicle.

Pickup trucks.

Looks like a very practical and sensible vehicle.

It tows all my toys through the roughest terrain since I lift all my trailers...as you can see the wheel clearance is 4+ inches over stock.
upload_2018-2-12_19-21-41.png

It makes loading the SxS a little more interesting.

A Truck with a 5.7 engine 399 hp and 400 lbs of torque is fun to drive trust me.
And I can tow most loads and look down at chicks with seat belt boobs.

Forum List

Back