Six-figure construction jobs are going unfilled

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
They aren't sexy and often require travel. So, why can't companies find qualified workers?

The general population doesn’t know how rewarding and profitable [construction jobs can be],” Stephen Mulva, director of the Construction Industry Institute (CII), told FOX Business. “Six-figure salaries are not uncommon.”

Some of the positions than can lead to those lucrative salaries include welders, foremen and even some craft professionals, like instrument techs and crane operators, Mulva said.

Steve Green, vice president of the National Center for Construction Education & Research (NCCER), echoed the potential for construction workers to attain income at, or above, $100,000.

How much of that results from an education system that pushes academics instead of trades?

Story @ Six-figure construction jobs are going unfilled

My Father's HS principal found out how much form carpentry paid in 36 or 37 and started a new career in his 40s. This is an old story.

How much of that results from an education system that pushes academics instead of trades?

Education and society and parents. They all shamed blue collar workers and convinced kids to run up huge student loan debt chasing ill-informed career paths. These high paid and technical jobs are open in every company I go into.

Assuming housing and other real estate investment expenditure hits 5 trillion this year with multiplier that means 15-25 trillion before dealing with repatriation, Foreign, and previously planned investment. Something must be wrong with those numbers even though they are low ball because doubling GDP in a single year is effectively impossible.

There are many construction positions that are going unfilled due to lack of skilled workers. It is a bit misleading to say it is 'not uncommon' for these positions to pay over $100,000 a year. That is uncommon, but there is good money to be made.

Do unions who train for these jobs go to job fairs or advertise at all.....
Not really and most of the jobs are in right to work states.
seems rather short sighted.......maybe Americans are averse to hard work....had a millenial female tell me as much about people her age she knew..... employer has us trying to recruit, told a guy our starting wages and could tell by his response it was significantly more than he was making but then he comes out with...." but thats hard work isnt it"........uh yeah thats one of the reasons you get paid more.

Education and society and parents. They all shamed blue collar workers and convinced kids to run up huge student loan debt chasing ill-informed career paths. These high paid and technical jobs are open in every company I go into.
Spread the news to all those coal miners sitting on their asses waiting for their mine to open back up

They aren't sexy and often require travel. So, why can't companies find qualified workers?

The general population doesn’t know how rewarding and profitable [construction jobs can be],” Stephen Mulva, director of the Construction Industry Institute (CII), told FOX Business. “Six-figure salaries are not uncommon.”

Some of the positions than can lead to those lucrative salaries include welders, foremen and even some craft professionals, like instrument techs and crane operators, Mulva said.

Steve Green, vice president of the National Center for Construction Education & Research (NCCER), echoed the potential for construction workers to attain income at, or above, $100,000.

Story @ Six-figure construction jobs are going unfilled

Feast and starve...it's chasing the money from one state to the next ..no thanks

Unions used to play a big role in training/mentoring for these jobs. My experience is that they dont really do that much any more. Or it's not a priority. I think when unions worked (before my time) the tacit agreement was that unions would supply qualified labor in exchange for their monopoly control. They still want the control but don't seem to care much about developing younger workers. This is only my experience from maybe 10 union shops I've worked in.

A union plant I am currently running has close to 20 open $100,000+ jobs that are open from retirements of aging workers. We simply can't find trained labor and are promoting younger workers much faster than they should be, to fill the roles. This is true at high tech industrial union mills, at high-craft factories (union and non) and even plenty of simpler non-union jobs like diesel mechanics, etc. It was also happening 8 years ago when the unemployment numbers were double what they are today.

Why, I dont know. Best I can figure gets back to schools and society and parents.

A union plant I am currently running has close to 20 open $100,000+ jobs that are open from retirements of aging workers. We simply can't find trained labor and are promoting younger workers much faster than they should be, to fill the roles. .

So where's the problem? Companies have always needed good workers and management must find them or company goes bankrupt. It's always been that way. ATT is just now retraining 3/4 of its entire workforce for new tech. Sure, its nice if unions or schools train them for you but in the end either you find a way or glorious capitalism leaves you bankrupt.

Unions used to play a big role in training/mentoring for these jobs. My experience is that they dont really do that much any more. Or it's not a priority. I think when unions worked (before my time) the tacit agreement was that unions would supply qualified labor in exchange for their monopoly control. They still want the control but don't seem to care much about developing younger workers. This is only my experience from maybe 10 union shops I've worked in.

A union plant I am currently running has close to 20 open $100,000+ jobs that are open from retirements of aging workers. We simply can't find trained labor and are promoting younger workers much faster than they should be, to fill the roles. This is true at high tech industrial union mills, at high-craft factories (union and non) and even plenty of simpler non-union jobs like diesel mechanics, etc. It was also happening 8 years ago when the unemployment numbers were double what they are today.

Why, I dont know. Best I can figure gets back to schools and society and parents.

Totally agree, colleges promote white collar jobs, at my work this new pipe fitter construction guy only around 28 years old showed me one of his weekly pay check stubs $5,000 bucks he was going to Alaska from South Carolina..he got tired of it and wanted to be buy his family after work and took a steady job just paying a grand a week..

No, I mean the states where the mafia/democrats can't rob workers blind by stealing their benefits packages.

A union plant I am currently running has close to 20 open $100,000+ jobs that are open from retirements of aging workers. We simply can't find trained labor and are promoting younger workers much faster than they should be, to fill the roles. .

So where's the problem? Companies have always needed good workers and management must find them or company goes bankrupt. It's always been that way. ATT is just now retraining 3/4 of its entire workforce for new tech. Sure, its nice if unions or schools train them for you but in the end either you find a way or glorious capitalism leaves you bankrupt.

Ed you must give that tired ass speech even when a wrong number dials your house.

Not really and most of the jobs are in right to work states.

You mean the right to work for less states?

Which ones are those ?

Prove it...

quad-tracks-1024x875.jpg

Forum List

Back