Situation That May Arise

Cain

Air Force DEP
Nov 14, 2010
Tennessee
So, as many of you know I am in the US Air Force DEP (Very Proud), but their is one issue, that could change that.

As you know, they assign you a job (MOS/AFSC) before you get to BMT (Basic Military Training) in the DEP (Delayed Entry Program), but some don't. Some do not get the job they want, so they go in under General, which means you could be practically anything.

The Job I am wanting is a very common job, and has a lot of openings, Security Forces, but let's say I do not get the job (always possible) and I am about to ship off to basic in 2 weeks under the "General" category.

What would you do, if you could do the same job you wanted, in a different branch with a guaranteed contract before their Basic? What would you do? I know for a fact that the same job I am wanting in the Air Force I could get in the US Army or Marines, but I do not WANT to have to do this, but I am asking a 'what if' situation, cause it could very well happen.

I would think if you've already signed a contract with the AF you will have to go where they send you and do what they tell you to do. Paperwork flows slowly and I imagine at this point your paperwork is already set. Keep your chin up - you'll probably get into the MOS that you want if there are openings and you qualified for the position.

I would think if you've already signed a contract with the AF you will have to go where they send you and do what they tell you to do. Paperwork flows slowly and I imagine at this point your paperwork is already set. Keep your chin up - you'll probably get into the MOS that you want if there are openings and you qualified for the position.

In the DEP you are allowed to back out, before Basic, and a certain amount of time after Basic you can too, I forgot the exact time period.

I really do NOT want to ever back out, I just don't want to be put in a job where I am going to do terribly. I am trying to keep my chin-up, and I am not going to back down unless they try to 'vocal promise' me my AFSC while going to Basic. So many people have had that done and end up getting a completely different job. I have met many online, and know several in real life. Not just AF, but a few AF either way.

I cannot believe I am even worrying about this, but it has happened to others in the DEP before (before we had our DEP they all went to 1 city, so it has technically never happened in our new DEP, the old sergeant died and the DEP didn't have a leader), but I just couldn't imagine being a mechanic or something I really suck at, cause 1. I'd be terrified I'll screw up and get someone hurt or killed. 2. I'd hate the job I do.

So, as many of you know I am in the US Air Force DEP (Very Proud), but their is one issue, that could change that.

As you know, they assign you a job (MOS/AFSC) before you get to BMT (Basic Military Training) in the DEP (Delayed Entry Program), but some don't. Some do not get the job they want, so they go in under General, which means you could be practically anything.

The Job I am wanting is a very common job, and has a lot of openings, Security Forces, but let's say I do not get the job (always possible) and I am about to ship off to basic in 2 weeks under the "General" category.

What would you do, if you could do the same job you wanted, in a different branch with a guaranteed contract before their Basic? What would you do? I know for a fact that the same job I am wanting in the Air Force I could get in the US Army or Marines, but I do not WANT to have to do this, but I am asking a 'what if' situation, cause it could very well happen.
2 words. If you can qualify ?
Coast Guard.

Coast Guard.

I am pretty sure I could? I do not think I'd want to go Coast Guard, the Job I would go to, if I ever went to a different service would be Infantry or Special Forces.

Coast Guard.

I am pretty sure I could? I do not think I'd want to go Coast Guard, the Job I would go to, if I ever went to a different service would be Infantry or Special Forces.

You're in TN. Just put on a deer skin and run through the woods.:cuckoo:

wow!

You won't exactly be the first person to get screwed by a recruiter, amigo.

If you can get out of this contract that's screwing you DO SO.

That means you'll be a cook. Guaranteed. Is that what you want? Tell that lying ass fuckin' recruiter either the job is guaranteed or you'll take your skills elsewhere. Play hardball now or you'll regret it later.

I worked Security Police in the AF. Believe me, you do not want to do the same job in the Army or the Marines.

Only two weeks away and you haven't already been told what you'll be doing?

No, I was using that as a example, because that happens in the DEP sometimes. Sadly.

Coast Guard.

You're in TN. Just put on a deer skin and run through the woods.:cuckoo:

Lack of Benefits.

That means you'll be a cook. Guaranteed. Is that what you want? Tell that lying ass fuckin' recruiter either the job is guaranteed or you'll take your skills elsewhere. Play hardball now or you'll regret it later.

I worked Security Police in the AF. Believe me, you do not want to do the same job in the Army or the Marines.

Yea, well, I will go there before leaving. I really take the Oath we took seriously, I just, don't want to end up being something completely random.

I am not meaning Police though, in the Air Force, the closest they have now for Infantry, aside from Special Forces, is Security Forces, and their getting to where they are making it more and more like the infantry which is what I want in the USAF. I am saying if it ends up not ever coming to me in the USAF, I could go to the Army and get the job guaranteed before I even go to MEPS for them, or the Marines and have a good chance of getting that position. I just pray that never happens.

Yea, well, I will go there before leaving. I really take the Oath we took seriously, I just, don't want to end up being something completely random.
Listen to me boy. You haven't taken an oath yet. You will actually be sworn in at Lackland AFB. Has the AF sent you a check? No. Just because they bought you a few sammiches doesn't mean you're an Airman now.

If some slimy fuckin' recruiter is trying to fuck you over with the job you chose, tell him or her "Oh, well no thanks then" and walk away, tell him you're gonna' check out the other services. Then watch how quickly he changes his tune.

He has a monthly quota. It's the end of the month and some other recruit probably backed out for whatever reason. Now he want's to put you in that slot. Don't go for it. Don't let him fuck you.
The AF has an infantry division?
Not an Infantry Division per se, they're called Security Forces and they perform Air Base Ground defense which is a lot like playing Army. I did it for almost 10 years. Even went through a shorter version of AIT at Fort Dix N.J. in 1988 and in the Philippines.

Listen to me boy. You haven't taken an oath yet. You will actually be sworn in at Lackland AFB. Has the AF sent you a check? No. Just because they bought you a few sammiches doesn't mean you're an Airman now.

If some slimy fuckin' recruiter is trying to fuck you over with the job you chose, tell him or her "Oh, well no thanks then" and walk away, tell him you're gonna' check out the other services. Then watch how quickly he changes his tune.

He has a monthly quota. It's the end of the month and some other recruit probably backed out for whatever reason. Now he want's to put you in that slot. Don't go for it. Don't let him fuck you.
Not an Infantry Division per se, they're called Security Forces and they perform Air Base Ground defense which is a lot like playing Army. I did it for almost 10 years. Even went through a shorter version of AIT at Fort Dix N.J. in 1988 and in the Philippines.

Thanks for that info, MS. And I didn't realize you had served either - thank you for your service.

That was the main determining factors with finally joining with the Navy.
They do guarantee your job title.

Coast Guard.
:lol:
:cuckoo:
:lol:
If he qualifies for the AF, I am certain he qualifies for the bathtub Navy

boy?...I know I am not a Airman now. I understand not to let him screw me over, and I do not want, and I am about to start talking to other DEP'ers about it, I cannot end up being a cook for 6 years, or however long your stuck with your AFSC, especially when I told him I knew what I want the first day I walked in.

Also, my DEP tract expires, I believe they moved it from a year, to a year and 3 months, and I signed up on July 11th. So, I have a good while to kill, but...Their have been a lot of people that came in after me that already have their AFSC, and their's is considered 'rarer' then the one I want.

They offered me a job about 2 months ago, and the job was very random, it was something, the US Army I remember called "Quartermaster" I think it was Traffic something, but I cannot remember specifically. I looked it up, and I was honest, I told them No, cause it wasn't even related to any of my jobs I picked.

I am willing to settle with Fire Protection, Security Forces, or go take the Special Forces Exam, but I am not about to become something like a Mechanic just so I can say I didn't back out, I'd rather back out and join a branch that guarantees then go to Basic with a 'spoken promise' job.

Forum List

Back