Sit Down

Racism before 1400 was not common to most human societies. It is not mainly rooted in the human condition.

The common mix-up is between ethnocentrism and racism:

• racism – dividing humans into “races” based on physical appearance, like skin colour, with the aim of ranking them from highest to lowest according to supposedly unchangeable, inborn qualities, like intelligence, civilization, moral character or beauty.
  • ethnocentrism – judging other cultures based on one’s own. This leads to the illusion that one’s own culture is best. From this comes stuff like “American exceptionalism”, non-Greeks as “barbarians”, China as the “Middle Kingdom” and Inuits as “the Real People”.
Ethnocentrism is common if not universal in human history. Racism is not.

If US society were merely ethnocentric, not racist, there would be no perpetual foreigner stereotype. Respectability politics and Indian boarding schools would work: cultural assimilation – taking on Anglo American ways – would be enough to overcome prejudice.

The people we call Whites have been writing about the people we call Blacks for over 2,400 years. Only in the last 300 or so years have Whites consistently stereotyped Blacks as savage or violent.

Before 1400, before the rise of Western imperialism and its idea of “race”:

Ancient Egyptians: Painted people with roughly the right skin colour but rarely if ever called a person “black”, “brown” or “white”. Accepted as one of their own anyone who took on Egyptian ways. Respected the darker-skinned Nubians.

Ancient Greeks: Divided the world into Greek and barbarian based on language, not race. Greek science favoured nurture over nature. Aristotle accounted for the greatness that was Greece through Goldilocks geography: it was not too hot or too cold or too wet or too dry, but just right.

Rome: The top people came from all parts of the empire, like the Ivory Bangle Lady of York (pictured at top). Emperor Septimius Severus was Black. Having skin “like Corinthian bronze” was seen as a good thing. Barbarians looked different (Germans were tall with yellow hair, for example) but could become civilized by taking on Roman ways.

Europe, 400 to 1400: Christians divided the world by religion, not race, and duly carried out atrocities against heretics, Muslims and Jews. Jews were not racialized – there was not even the stereotype about Jewish noses till the late 1200s. Christians saw darkness, and therefore the colour black, as representing evil. This was built into English.

Arabs: There was some prejudice against Blacks, but it was personal, not backed by law, religion, science or even custom, as it later would in the West. Arabs had both White and Black slaves.

India: The holy writings of the “Veda” say nothing about caste being about skin colour. Key figures in the “Mahabharata” are dark-skinned. Unclear how much of India’s present colourism comes from British rule.

China: Seems to have had some colour consciousness. That some people who looked different lacked civilization was not seen as an accident, but neither was it seen as an unchangeable, inborn condition: they could become civilized, for example, by taking on Chinese ways.

Sources:

• Bernard Lewis, “Race and Slavery in the Middle East; An Historical Enquiry” (1990);
  • “The Oxford Companion to Classical Civilization” (1998);
  • Ali Rattansi, “Racism: A Very Short Introduction” (2007);
  • Barbara Mertz, “Red Land, Black Land” (2008);
  • Nell Irvin Painter, “The History of White People” (2010);
  • Audrey and Brian D. Smedley, “Race in North America” (2012).
Racism before 1400

Conservatives know that race is a political loser for them; so they attempt to vilify black civil rights leaders and black civil rights organizations, falsely claiming that those leaders and organizations are ‘fomenting discord’ between and among the races, ‘playing the race card,’ acting as ‘race baiters,’ are working to ‘divide America,’ and other ridiculous nonsense and lies that couldn’t be further from the truth.

name all the white male "civil rights" organizations

You are truly dumb.

thanks for your capitulation

Conservatives know that race is a political loser for them; so they attempt to vilify black civil rights leaders and black civil rights organizations, falsely claiming that those leaders and organizations are ‘fomenting discord’ between and among the races, ‘playing the race card,’ acting as ‘race baiters,’ are working to ‘divide America,’ and other ridiculous nonsense and lies that couldn’t be further from the truth.
Whites are not responsible for black crime rates or low IQ. We are not gods.

Whites are responsible for lying about these things and creating a false stereotype. Where are all these "not all" people at when this kind of bullshit is posted.

Absolutely fabulous. This is the ultimate clueless hypocrisy. Lemme answer.

Same place your bullshit loaded head is at when you just spat out a "false stereotype" of "Whites are responsible for lying about these things".

There IS abuse of black people in big urban centers. Not BECAUSE they are black, but because they are poor and badly served by their crappy governments that expect them to behave just like a rich suburb.

It's NOT the police. The police WORK for the Urban leaders. WHO --- are the urban leaders in many of these cases? The leftists and POC that the people ELECTED to end the abuse.

The expectations for government excellence and performance is just GENERALLY --- too damn high. There's not much that government does well or humanely or efficiently. We all KNOW that.
But some folks keep voting for more muscular and INTRUSIVE and POWERFUL government - when government isn't the answer to some of these problems. INNOVATION and problem solving is generally the answer. And those skills are NOT -- the strong card for most "politicians".

What? You elected black leadership and black police chiefs and THAT didn't solve the problems?

Well geebus -- call in the FEDS !!! That ought to fix everything right???

Whites are responsible for lying about these things and creating a false stereotype. Where are all these "not all" people at when this kind of bullshit is posted.

Same place your bullshit loaded head is at when you just spat out a "false stereotype" of "Whites are responsible for lying about these things".

There IS abuse of black people in big urban centers. Not BECAUSE they are black, but because they are poor and badly served by their crappy governments that expect them to behave just like a rich suburb.

It's NOT the police. The police WORK for the Urban leaders. WHO --- are the urban leaders in many of these cases? The leftists and POC that the people ELECTED to end the abuse.

The expectations for government excellence and performance is just GENERALLY --- too damn high. There's not much that government does well or humanely or efficiently. We all KNOW that.
But some folks keep voting for more muscular and INTRUSIVE and POWERFUL government. When government isn't the answer to some of these problems. INNOVATION and problem solving is generally the answer. NOT -- the strong card for most "politicians".

What? You elected black leadership and black police chiefs and THAT didn't solve the problems?

Flacaltenn, you and your opinion are really boring, You get a black mayor 1 black commissioner and 6 white ones.. You get a black police chief and a majority white force and police board. We are talking about damage created by both republican and democrats.These black communities were not utopias that were inherited by these black leaders and they let them rot. In cities there are white communities of various wealth that are represented and many times their interests are served while the black communities are not, And that's because the mayor who is black only has one vote. You talk about the left but you republicans fucked up an entire country with your policies. I live in a republican state with towns/cites ruined because of republican policies. All your side does is blame the left. Well blame the left isn't it.

Uhm.

My last experience with police was a black cop curb-slamming me after he got the 2nd cuff clicked. What was your point?

The police need some serious reform. They've been shooting unarmed people and all kinds of crazy stuff, throwing flashbangs into bassinets..

PS: I wasn't resisting and he knew he fucked up after he did it. There's no record of this.

I wasn't resisting and he knew he fucked up after he did it.

Not that this applies in your case, but I can't count the number of times some guy was shouting 'I am not resisting' while he was taking swings at me.

Bubba, I've seen what happens to people that fight the police in my town. When I was 16, I ran 2 miles full speed nonstop to keep it from happening to me. I saw the cars pull up looking for me, but I was already gone.

Guy had a heelmark on his eye and a broken arm the next day. I knew I'd be next, so while they were distracted beating his ass, I got the hell away. As a general rulle, I don't run any furhter than 100 yards, ever. That night was an exception.

I don't hate the popo, I have friends and family that are on the very same force.

Not that this applies in your case, but I can't count the number of times some guy was shouting 'I am not resisting' while he was taking swings at me.

Bubba, I've seen what happens to people that fight the police in my town. When I was 16, I ran 2 miles full speed nonstop to keep it from happening to me. I saw the cars pull up looking for me, but I was already gone.

Guy had a heelmark on his eye and a broken arm the next day. I knew I'd be next, so while they were distracted beating his ass, I got the hell away. As a general rulle, I don't run any furhter than 100 yards, ever. That night was an exception.

I don't hate the popo, I have friends and family that are on the very same force.

I was only making a point that interactions with police tend to appear much differently to the offender and the police.

I can't speak to your personal experience.

I was only making a point that interactions with police tend to appear much differently to the offender and the police.

I can't speak to your personal experience.
IME, the last LEO I dealt with acted inappropriately. I probably have permanent damage to my elbow. I could either get him fired or go free, I chose to go free.

He was a young black man. I have several friends I grew up with on the very same force.

I tend to hope to believe they act more professionally.

In fact, the closest one to me, I have witnessed in action, and yes, he does. He always was a good guy.

From the book I"m currently reading:

"Jesse Williams, when he received a Humanitarian Award from BET, addressed police misconduct, stating that “police somehow manage to deescalate, disarm and not kill white people every day.” I don’t want to hear about how far we’ve come when paid public servants can pull a drive-by on a 12 year old playing alone in the park in broad daylight, killing him on television and then going home to make a sandwich.”

He criticized white folk who criticize black social movements like BLM, saying that “if you have a critique for the resistance, for our resistance, then you better have an established record of critique of our oppression. If you have no interest in equal rights for black people, then do not make suggestions for those who do. Sit down.”

I totally agree. Too many who criticize oppressed people's efforts to stand up for themselves were silent when they should have spoken up. Too many who criticize oppressed people's efforts to stand up for themselves speak only when they disagree with the methods chosen for resistance. Too many who criticize oppressed people's efforts to stand up for themselves watched silently for years as oppression persisted and their whiteness protected them from it.
they are not oppressed.

oppress
[uh-pres]
See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
verb (used with object)
  1. to burden with cruel or unjust impositions or restraints; subject to a burdensome or harsh exercise of authority or power: a people oppressed by totalitarianism.
logic and truth dictate we stand against such utter lies and complete racist nonsense.

Racism before 1400 was not common to most human societies. It is not mainly rooted in the human condition.

• racism – dividing humans into “races” based on physical appearance, like skin colour, with the aim of ranking them from highest to lowest according to supposedly unchangeable, inborn qualities, like intelligence, civilization, moral character or beauty.
  • ethnocentrism – judging other cultures based on one’s own. This leads to the illusion that one’s own culture is best. From this comes stuff like “American exceptionalism”, non-Greeks as “barbarians”, China as the “Middle Kingdom” and Inuits as “the Real People”.

If US society were merely ethnocentric, not racist, there would be no perpetual foreigner stereotype. Respectability politics and Indian boarding schools would work: cultural assimilation – taking on Anglo American ways – would be enough to overcome prejudice.

The people we call Whites have been writing about the people we call Blacks for over 2,400 years. Only in the last 300 or so years have Whites consistently stereotyped Blacks as savage or violent.

Ancient Egyptians: Painted people with roughly the right skin colour but rarely if ever called a person “black”, “brown” or “white”. Accepted as one of their own anyone who took on Egyptian ways. Respected the darker-skinned Nubians.

Ancient Greeks: Divided the world into Greek and barbarian based on language, not race. Greek science favoured nurture over nature. Aristotle accounted for the greatness that was Greece through Goldilocks geography: it was not too hot or too cold or too wet or too dry, but just right.

Rome: The top people came from all parts of the empire, like the Ivory Bangle Lady of York (pictured at top). Emperor Septimius Severus was Black. Having skin “like Corinthian bronze” was seen as a good thing. Barbarians looked different (Germans were tall with yellow hair, for example) but could become civilized by taking on Roman ways.

Europe, 400 to 1400: Christians divided the world by religion, not race, and duly carried out atrocities against heretics, Muslims and Jews. Jews were not racialized – there was not even the stereotype about Jewish noses till the late 1200s. Christians saw darkness, and therefore the colour black, as representing evil. This was built into English.

Arabs: There was some prejudice against Blacks, but it was personal, not backed by law, religion, science or even custom, as it later would in the West. Arabs had both White and Black slaves.

India: The holy writings of the “Veda” say nothing about caste being about skin colour. Key figures in the “Mahabharata” are dark-skinned. Unclear how much of India’s present colourism comes from British rule.

China: Seems to have had some colour consciousness. That some people who looked different lacked civilization was not seen as an accident, but neither was it seen as an unchangeable, inborn condition: they could become civilized, for example, by taking on Chinese ways.

Sources:

• Bernard Lewis, “Race and Slavery in the Middle East; An Historical Enquiry” (1990);
Racism before 1400

Bravo IM2....

It brings to mind that, perhaps racism could actually exist in the superficial as the target excuse , which the real culprit that divides us hides behind

Which might be racism's close cousin classism.

Few consider how classist a society we really are , the distinctions aren't always obvious, there are no gub'mit programs and/or organizations out to combat it

~S~

Is this just me, or perhaps blacks need to look inward instead of this blame game? Blacks have been here way over 250 years, slavery ended almost 150 years ago. Any other group, say, Vietnamese, Irish or Italians got over their oppression and racial stuff years ago. But blacks have got this hedge now, it's their new found "Privilege" to claim racial oppression even though they can and should have transcended that long ago.

Bill Cosby said something similar. As a result, he is facing jail time for his wrong doings in the past.

I reckon he now wishes he has kept quiet.

This is an accurate post: "Folks need to go watch the movie Serpico to understand what the Police force is really like. It has only gotten worse."

And those who condemn the poor and those of color who are most oppressed by the police really need to look in the mirror.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
From the book I"m currently reading:

"Jesse Williams, when he received a Humanitarian Award from BET, addressed police misconduct, stating that “police somehow manage to deescalate, disarm and not kill white people every day.” I don’t want to hear about how far we’ve come when paid public servants can pull a drive-by on a 12 year old playing alone in the park in broad daylight, killing him on television and then going home to make a sandwich.”

He criticized white folk who criticize black social movements like BLM, saying that “if you have a critique for the resistance, for our resistance, then you better have an established record of critique of our oppression. If you have no interest in equal rights for black people, then do not make suggestions for those who do. Sit down.”

I totally agree. Too many who criticize oppressed people's efforts to stand up for themselves were silent when they should have spoken up. Too many who criticize oppressed people's efforts to stand up for themselves speak only when they disagree with the methods chosen for resistance. Too many who criticize oppressed people's efforts to stand up for themselves watched silently for years as oppression persisted and their whiteness protected them from it.
they are not oppressed.

oppress
[uh-pres]
See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
verb (used with object)
  1. to burden with cruel or unjust impositions or restraints; subject to a burdensome or harsh exercise of authority or power: a people oppressed by totalitarianism.
logic and truth dictate we stand against such utter lies and complete racist nonsense.
Yes, they are. That definition is non applicable to racism and classicism in America.

• Thanks
Is this just me, or perhaps blacks need to look inward instead of this blame game? Blacks have been here way over 250 years, slavery ended almost 150 years ago. Any other group, say, Vietnamese, Irish or Italians got over their oppression and racial stuff years ago. But blacks have got this hedge now, it's their new found "Privilege" to claim racial oppression even though they can and should have transcended that long ago.

Bill Cosby said something similar. As a result, he is facing jail time for his wrong doings in the past.

No causal connection connects Cosby's current prediction to his comments on slavery and racism.

• Thanks

But some folks keep voting for more muscular and INTRUSIVE and POWERFUL government. When government isn't the answer to some of these problems. INNOVATION and problem solving is generally the answer. NOT -- the strong card for most "politicians".

Flacaltenn, you and your opinion are really boring, You get a black mayor 1 black commissioner and 6 white ones.. You get a black police chief and a majority white force and police board. We are talking about damage created by both republican and democrats.These black communities were not utopias that were inherited by these black leaders and they let them rot. In cities there are white communities of various wealth that are represented and many times their interests are served while the black communities are not, And that's because the mayor who is black only has one vote. You talk about the left but you republicans fucked up an entire country with your policies. I live in a republican state with towns/cites ruined because of republican policies. All your side does is blame the left. Well blame the left isn't it.

I'm not even talking about left or right. I'm talking about the piss poor administration of justice that government usually delivers. I'm talking about EXPECTATIONS being too high for getting excellence in adjusting court appointments, checking and verifying warrants, payments of fines, etc.. All these systems AND the police that CARRY OUT the warrants are the reason a broken taillight or j-walking ticket can escalate to a life-threatening incident. Because in Ferguson there was an AVERAGE of 3 warrants per household and 1.5 arrests a year. MOST of it from bogus BAD warrants and book-keeping. That's NOT the fault of the police. It's the entire rotten bureaucracy..

Appointing people of color BECAUSE they are black isn't EXPECTED to fix anything. You need to elect innovators and problem solvers and BUSINESS people who know how to serve customers and provide services..

Sources:

Racism before 1400

Bravo IM2....

It brings to mind that, perhaps racism could actually exist in the superficial as the target excuse , which the real culprit that divides us hides behind

Which might be racism's close cousin classism.

Few consider how classist a society we really are , the distinctions aren't always obvious, there are no gub'mit programs and/or organizations out to combat it

~S~

Classism does exist but poor whites have consistently participated in the racism even as they were being oppressed by class. And still today they fall for it.

"Folks need to go watch the movie Serpico to understand what the Police force is really like. It has only gotten worse."

To get a sense of what is real, watch a work of fiction?

OK ...

star-wars-625x352.jpg

I'm not even talking about left or right. I'm talking about the piss poor administration of justice that government usually delivers. I'm talking about EXPECTATIONS being too high for getting excellence in adjusting court appointments, checking and verifying warrants, payments of fines, etc.. All these systems AND the police that CARRY OUT the warrants are the reason a broken taillight or j-walking ticket can escalate to a life-threatening incident. Because in Ferguson there was an AVERAGE of 3 warrants per household and 1.5 arrests a year. MOST of it from bogus BAD warrants and book-keeping. That's NOT the fault of the police. It's the entire rotten bureaucracy..

Appointing people of color BECAUSE they are black isn't EXPECTED to fix anything. You need to elect innovators and problem solvers and BUSINESS people who know how to serve customers and provide services..

You anti government types don't seem to understand that government is more efficient than the private sector. You really don't want to privatize the administration of justice. White control of the criminal justice system has been the problem all along. And if you think that so called "businesspeople" are going to improve something, think again.

Bill Cosby is facing jail time because he drugged and raped lots of women. Has nothing to do with his remarks about race.

• Thanks

Forum List

Back