Sister Wives

Second season premiere on TLC tonight. Looks like they're in a bit of trouble. Anyone plan on watching?

I've seen just bits and pieces of a couple shows. It took a few minutes to figure out what was going on. When I lived in Arizona, I would occasionally see polygamist families.

They seem like decent people with well adjusted kids. But it's still pretty creepy. And illegal of course.

I'm anxious to see if he's been charged.

I saw their interview with one of the major news anchors. (Can't remember which one)

Anyways it seems like he is a whipped little puppy. Also his first/legal wife has hooked up her husband with some of the other wives if I remember right.

Nice family with a strange custom. Definitely not my cup of tea but what ever floats your boat I guess.

charged with what......as long as he doesnt legally marry a 2nd wife ..he is fine

I'm not sure what the legal issue is, but they live pretty large. Huge home, many cars, etc. I have a feeling they may be using some creative accounting to avoid taxes or are getting some govt. cheese. That's the issue with many of these polygamous families. Wife #3 doesn't work so she gets welfare for her "illegitimate children". I may look into it later. I haven't seen the show yet. I taped it.

charged with what......as long as he doesnt legally marry a 2nd wife ..he is fine

I'm not sure what the legal issue is, but they live pretty large. Huge home, many cars, etc. I have a feeling they may be using some creative accounting to avoid taxes or are getting some govt. cheese. That's the issue with many of these polygamous families. Wife #3 doesn't work so she gets welfare for her "illegitimate children". I may look into it later. I haven't seen the show yet. I taped it.

From what I understand from that interview is they have to be pretty frugal with their money. All of them work except one of the wives so she can stay home and take care of the children.

Who knows. They may be collecting some sort of welfare......

I was surfing along one night a few months ago and came upon this "Reality" show. My curiosty is still sustaining an interest in it. The women seem to truly care for one another and the husband seems very sensitive to the needs of the "sister wives" and has an innate ability to tolerate with understanding, their many moods as they fluctuate daily to make demands upon him. For some reason though..lol..I have a feeling he is very happy when he has to leave for work every morning. :)

From what I understand from that interview is they have to be pretty frugal with their money. All of them work except one of the wives so she can stay home and take care of the children.

Nobody can live large on welfare.

Nobody can live large on welfare.

It is likely the proceeds from doing the show, would end any welfare assistance.

In this age where many men have multiple children with multiple women this is an acceptable situation. Big deal he can't legally marry twice in the eyes of Uncle Sam. Legal marriage largely has to do with tax deductions and benefits.

Utah's bigamy statute is unique. It reads: "A person is guilty of bigamy when, knowing he has a husband or wife or knowing the other person has a husband or wife, the person purports to marry another person or cohabits with another person."

The law applies not just to people who have obtained multiple marriage licenses, but also to those who are legally married to only one person, while engaging in other marriage-like relationships.

Bigamy prosecutions of polygamists rare in Utah | Deseret News

They've only prosecuted two men in ten years. But there may be some pressure to go after this guy. They can try to have the law changed, but right now it seems pretty clear that he is guilty.

According to the promo, they are moving to Las Vegas. NV's law may be quite different.

why in the hell would anyone relocate to vegas ? their economy sucks...

so utah law goes further into this than expected....how odd....we have it here...as long as it works for the people involved......no one cares...people should just mind their own business

Well I'm on the fence about this bones. On the show last night Robin said "It's important that people know we are not all about child brides and insurance fraud". But that stuff does go on, and turning a blind eye is wrong.

And this could be stepping stone to changing the law. That's an argument many have against gay marriage (although I don't see the connection.) Legalizing polygamy could have many unintended consequences.

Forum List

Back