Sirius vs. XM: Which satellite radio is best?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rtwngAvngr, Jan 1, 2006.

1. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    And why? I'm thinking of getting one or the other.

"Input!"

[​IMG]

2. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Music-wise, I've heard both are almost identical (IE, both have almost the same exact types of music channels). Sirius has more MLB coverage whereas XM has more NFL coverage.

But, I'm pretty sure the biggest drawing point would be whether you want to hear Howard Stern or not. Sirius has 2 Howard channels. XM has Opie and Anthony, though, who I actually like a lot better than Howard, or at least I used to when they were on regular radio, I've never heard them on XM.

3. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    <i>**has Sirius, and loves it**</i>

4. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    Sirius, because I own stock....

:D

5. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    :teeth:

6. pegwinn

pegwinn Top of the Food Chain

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +329
    Well for what it is worth I have used both. I picked Sirius about a year ago for three reasons.

First: The music choices and news choices were similar but Sirius has NFL and XM has Nascar as the big draws. AS an OTR truck driver I obviously wasn't gonna be watching games.

Second: At that time Sirius was cheaper both hardware and subscription.

Finally: Sirius (again at that time) could be easily moved from vehicle to vehicle without extra expense. XM required either hardwired or an expensive extra docking station.

Obviously stuff has changed a bit over a year. Hope this helps.

7. KarlMarx

KarlMarx Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +491
    I'm not a satellite radio subscriber, I listen to online radio stations at work and at home....

I see that XM and Sirius both have the same feature i.e. you go to their respective website, type in your username and password and listen in over the Internet.

Of course, I'm probably hogging bandwidth on my company's network and it will probably get filtered out at their firewall eventually....

Still... the nice thing about streaming audio is that all you need are a pair of headphones, no CDs to change and carry to and from work, plus the selection is very diverse. Many stations have a free channel (with commercials and lower quality) and premium channels (without commercials and higher quality)

I like www.radioio.com but I've listened to www.live365.com and www.di.fm, too

There are devices that will stream the audio from your PC to your home stereo system (over a home network), too.

The drawback is, that you can't listen to them in your car or truck.

But for us that have desk jobs it's another alternative.

8. fuzzykitten99

fuzzykitten99 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
    Ratings:
    +199

really? how's it doing? i heard that both were on the way down because not many people are wanting to pay for listening to radio, esp if they like their local stations.
    I don't listen to enough all-music stations to make the purchase worth it. Personally, I would rather endure a few commercials than pay another monthly bill for radio broadcasting where I can't even get my favorite local stations. Kind of like dish tv. I won't get it because they make you pay extra for local channels, and i watch more local stuff than cable, if i watch tv at all. Basic (very basic) cable here is cheaper than any dish package that is offered.

9. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +157
    I'm sure Sirius' stock is about to skyrocket because of Howard.

10. fuzzykitten99

fuzzykitten99 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
    Ratings:
    +199
    not necessarily. i heard he lost a lot of his blue-collar listeners (a big listener base) because he sold out to the yogurt-sprout-eating crowd because he wanted to move to satellite broadcast to allow him to do what he wanted without the threat of being fined.

he actually used to be more on the conservative/right side, but then all of a sudden changed his mind and went total opposite. he was funny when he would just talk about stuff and bash both the right and left equally for their faults, but then just went postal on the right only, because they told him he was breaking rules that had been there all along, but just not enforced.

My husband liked to listen to him when he was broadcast here in MN, but says Stern alone isn't worth buying expensive equipment and paying a monthly bill just to listen to the show. This plus Stern's appeal of walking close to the line (and sometimes way over) of breaking FCC rules is what made the show great-he always pushed the envelope. Now he won't have that line, so where does the appeal come from?

personally, i don't think his show will last that long on satellite. There are just not enough people who have it yet (i doubt i will ever own one), let alone those who actually want to listen to Stern, and even less who will pay just to hear him on a daily basis.