Sirius Satellite Install Help

G.T.

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2009
Two questions:

#1: In an '04 Accord with Factory CD/Stereo, I have an AUX button, but no AUX input (at least not without gutting it and checking behind). How would I hard-wire my Sirius unit? Is there adapters, or do I HAVE an AUX input I'm not finding>?

#2: Radio Shack guy told me the Home Base Unit I wanted for my desktop didn't have a headphone input, I was like WTF? He said if you input headphones with will be stuck with one volume......etc...and the jack is basically to connect to a stereo. I need to use headphones, because I'm in the office.,,,,,,,,,,are there homebases like this somewhere? Imma go to Best Buy on lunch.

Two questions:

#1: In an '04 Accord with Factory CD/Stereo, I have an AUX button, but no AUX input (at least not without gutting it and checking behind). How would I hard-wire my Sirius unit? Is there adapters, or do I HAVE an AUX input I'm not finding>?
They sell adapters to hook your radio directly to the antenae input in your car steroea, but you do have to take the radio out to do it.
#2: Radio Shack guy told me the Home Base Unit I wanted for my desktop didn't have a headphone input, I was like WTF? He said if you input headphones with will be stuck with one volume......etc...and the jack is basically to connect to a stereo. I need to use headphones, because I'm in the office.,,,,,,,,,,are there homebases like this somewhere? Imma go to Best Buy on lunch.
My home base kit has a headphone jack. If yours does not, get some headphones with a volume control. My home base dealy bob looks like a little 'boombox".

Additionally, all the sirius/xm radio car kits have the ability to transmit on an fm frequency, but the signal is low, and the sound quality is poor.

Yea, it came with a seperate antenna for that but I wanted to hard-wire if it's possible.

The adapter, actenuator, or what ever they call it, hooks between the car antenae and the radio, then you plug your sirius/xm into that. They cost about 30 bucks.

I highly recomend the stiletto radio, it records, hooks up to your car or home box, and can be used as a handheld.....I love mine.

I already have the unit itself and the car kit, it's just the car kit came with the AUX cable to either hard-wire, or else pick up the FM feed, and since my stereo has an AUX button, I want to believe there's an AUX input somewhere I'm not finding, somewhere without gutting my car.

I highly doubt there's an input on the back of the factory head unit.

This being said though, what is the brand of the unit and the model number?

link to a used honda factory radio;
2003-2004 Honda Element Factory Stereo AM/FM CD Player

link to an adapter that hooks into the rear input to hook ipod or sirius or anything else to it;

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/USA-SPEC-PA11-HON2y-2003-2006-Interface/dp/B000ILLI7U]Amazon.com: USA SPEC PA11-HON2y - iPod to 2003-2006 Honda Factory Radio Interface w/ Auxiliary Audio input: Electronics[/ame]

link to direct fm input(modulator);

SIRIUS - FM Direct Audio Relay - FMDA25

As you can see from the link to the radio, the factory unit does indeed have a rear input, it is a usb type input.

As you can see from the link to the adapter, that is 160 bucks

as you can see from the link to the fm adapter, that adapter is about 30 bucks

sorry paulie, if you don't know, don't offer advice. "highly doubt" will just cause someone to buy something expensive they don't need, or to break something.......

link to a used honda factory radio;
2003-2004 Honda Element Factory Stereo AM/FM CD Player

link to an adapter that hooks into the rear input to hook ipod or sirius or anything else to it;

Amazon.com: USA SPEC PA11-HON2y - iPod to 2003-2006 Honda Factory Radio Interface w/ Auxiliary Audio input: Electronics

link to direct fm input(modulator);

SIRIUS - FM Direct Audio Relay - FMDA25

As you can see from the link to the radio, the factory unit does indeed have a rear input, it is a usb type input.

As you can see from the link to the adapter, that is 160 bucks

as you can see from the link to the fm adapter, that adapter is about 30 bucks

sorry paulie, if you don't know, don't offer advice. "highly doubt" will just cause someone to buy something expensive they don't need, or to break something.......
Uhh, yeah dude, that's why I THEN went on to ask what the brand and model number was, because I wasn't completely sure.

You can highly doubt something, while still not being completely sure about it.

Congratulations on making the big rescue though, you'll probably get laid now or something :rolleyes:

We have both XM and Sirius, we just bought the mount even though our car stereo had an aux button for Sirius. The reception was spotty, great in the city but it would cut out and lose signal going through a wooded area.

Our car we bought last year has XM pre-installed, and that thing never loses a signal. I would just pay the 50 to 80 bucks to have it installed professionally in your car. One guy told me I should get a FM booster to add. Something like that.

Yeah the boom-box unit you will need to listen to it in your office. It is worth the price, very great sound on that box too. It isn't too big either.

the fm modulator doesn't allow local fm stations to bleed in and disprupt the signal from the sirius/xm or even an ipod. It's about 30 bucks at bestbuy and simple to install yourself. If you can get to the part of yuour car stereo where the antennae plugs in, you can install it. Then you have an 1/8" input for anything, and local radio stations don't interfere.
In 2003, the fcc forced both sirious and xm to reduce the fm output from their radios. Since then, even with the 'booster' fm transmitter antennae included with the car kit, local fm stations do interfere and bleed into the signal from the sirous/xm radio in the car.
Poor reception in wooded areas is a blockage to the north, thats where the satelittes reside, actually over wisconson. The newer radios have a bigger buffer memory to deal with that. The factory installed radios and antennaes do proivide better sound.

i have both sirius and xm as well, 2 of each. My favorite radio is my stilletto, i use it everywhere.
I threw the headphones that came with it away(except for the plug), and made an antennae from the plug from the headphones, and just use earbuds when i carry it out on the lake or something.

Incidently, if one has directtv or dish network, and wants to install a home sirius/xm radio, one of the best places to mount the sirius/xm antennae is on the back of the dish. If you get a l bracket, and screw it on to the part of the dish where the azmith adjustment is, the sirius/xm antennae picks up really well stuck to the top of that 'new bracket'.

I have a buddy that has a car stereo shop and help him out on a regular basis. That's where I learned about installing sirius/xm radios
I would cancel the xm, as the merger really has put most everything i like on sirius with the 'best of xm' package, but i bought lifetime subscriptions for both xm and sirius a long time ago.

the fm modulator doesn't allow local fm stations to bleed in and disprupt the signal from the sirius/xm or even an ipod. It's about 30 bucks at bestbuy and simple to install yourself. If you can get to the part of yuour car stereo where the antennae plugs in, you can install it. Then you have an 1/8" input for anything, and local radio stations don't interfere.
In 2003, the fcc forced both sirious and xm to reduce the fm output from their radios. Since then, even with the 'booster' fm transmitter antennae included with the car kit, local fm stations do interfere and bleed into the signal from the sirous/xm radio in the car.
Poor reception in wooded areas is a blockage to the north, thats where the satelittes reside, actually over wisconson. The newer radios have a bigger buffer memory to deal with that. The factory installed radios and antennaes do proivide better sound.

i have both sirius and xm as well, 2 of each. My favorite radio is my stilletto, i use it everywhere.
I threw the headphones that came with it away(except for the plug), and made an antennae from the plug from the headphones, and just use earbuds when i carry it out on the lake or something.

Incidently, if one has directtv or dish network, and wants to install a home sirius/xm radio, one of the best places to mount the sirius/xm antennae is on the back of the dish. If you get a l bracket, and screw it on to the part of the dish where the azmith adjustment is, the sirius/xm antennae picks up really well stuck to the top of that 'new bracket'.

I have a buddy that has a car stereo shop and help him out on a regular basis. That's where I learned about installing sirius/xm radios
I would cancel the xm, as the merger really has put most everything i like on sirius with the 'best of xm' package, but i bought lifetime subscriptions for both xm and sirius a long time ago.
Oh I get it now, thanks for explaining it. I'm pissed off that XM/Sirius has NOT brought my price down. For example. If I had Sirius only and then got a second radio with sirius I would only be charged 6.99 extra a month for the second radio right? However that is only if it is two Sirius radios, why not 1 sirius and 1 xm, should be the same right but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I am going to cancel my Sirius when it runs out even though I like Sirius better then XM but XM is pre-installed on my caddy.

Oh I get it now, thanks for explaining it. I'm pissed off that XM/Sirius has NOT brought my price down. For example. If I had Sirius only and then got a second radio with sirius I would only be charged 6.99 extra a month for the second radio right? However that is only if it is two Sirius radios, why not 1 sirius and 1 xm, should be the same right but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I am going to cancel my Sirius when it runs out even though I like Sirius better then XM but XM is pre-installed on my caddy.

You can get 'best of sirius' on an xm radio if you cancel sirius.
The long term plan is to combine the signal and make both totally avaiable on either type of radio. That's the 10 year plan announced last year by mel karmazin (sp).
The factory installed xm is kind of misleading as the xm is NOT inside your car stereo, but is a 'box' mounted behind it that picks up the signal for xm. You can get a different 'box' and have it installed to get sirius instead of xm. If you know someone into electronics in your area, you can also have them convert the xm box to sirius. It's pretty simple to change out 2 diodes and on capacitor to change the frequency from xm to sirius.

part of the deal for sirius to buy xm was the price could not come down, that was a mandate from the federal governemnt. The congress held up the application from sirius to buy xm for 10 months.
Federal law, in the form of the permit that let sirius buy xm, prevents the price from coming down
Thank your senator......

The long term plan is to combine the signal and make both totally avaiable on either type of radio. That's the 10 year plan announced last year by mel karmazin (sp).
The factory installed xm is kind of misleading as the xm is NOT inside your car stereo, but is a 'box' mounted behind it that picks up the signal for xm. You can get a different 'box' and have it installed to get sirius instead of xm. If you know someone into electronics in your area, you can also have them convert the xm box to sirius. It's pretty simple to change out 2 diodes and on capacitor to change the frequency from xm to sirius.
I have Sirius mounted in my other car and I don't like it. Love how the Caddy has XM pre-installed. I'll just stick with XM. I really only listen to 4 stations anyway. LOL

I have Sirius mounted in my other car and I don't like it. Love how the Caddy has XM pre-installed. I'll just stick with XM. I really only listen to 4 stations anyway. LOL

That sound like what I hear from most people. I myself listen to 9 stations on a regular basis. Only 1 is on xm, and is included on the 'best of xm' package for sirius.
Like I said, I would cancel xm, but I bought lifetime subsciptions for both back when they offered that. It was 139 for two xm radios, and 189 for two sirius radios back in 2003. The lifetime subscription can be transferred to a new radio. I transferred my lifetime sirius subscription from one of the first starmate radios to my stilletto for 6.99.

Forum List

Back