Sir - Ma'am - Senator

Just A Man

Apr 10, 2009
"Could you say 'senator' instead of 'ma'am? It's just a thing. I worked so hard to get that title. I'd appreciate it."

The general's response? "Yes, Senator."

The media is trying to pull our chain on this one. It's much ado about nothing. I watched the exchange and think it's fine. Show the media we are more sophisticated than they think we are.

Sorry, I'll put myself with the people who work for a living and who are respectfully dedicated to our country then Boxer anyday.

Has she balanced any sort of checkbook in her life?

Sir, what in the world are you talking about?

Sorry, I'll put myself with the people who work for a living and who are respectfully dedicated to our country then Boxer anyday.

Has she balanced any sort of checkbook in her life?

When I saw the exchange between the senator and the brigadier general, I immediately thought of the story from a previous election, in which Senator Kerry walked into a busy restaurant, stormed to the head of the line of those waiting for a table, and, with raised eyebrows, asked "Do you know who I am?"

I hope those on the board who actually believe that nationalized healthcare will afford all of us the same care that our 'representatives' get remember this exchange.

Last edited:
to a military person, calling someone "Sir/Ma'am", is the highest level of respect
if they wanted to show a disdain, they would call a superior by their title
so, in essence, Boxer gave him permission to insult her, which i'm sure he was very thankful for ;)

pestectives change everything

Lots of people earn lots of titles. To them, I say great job on all your hard work.

But what pisses me off more than just about anything is when someone who has earned a title corrects someone for not using it or misusing it.

I am a doctor and I earned that title with hard work. But if you call me Mr. Ziglowedrufangalo instead of Dr. Ziglowedrufangalo, I will never correct you.

Lots of people earn lots of titles. To them, I say great job on all your hard work.

But what pisses me off more than just about anything is when someone who has earned a title corrects someone for not using it or misusing it.

I am a doctor and I earned that title with hard work. But if you call me Mr. Ziglowedrufangalo instead of Dr. Ziglowedrufangalo, I will never correct you.
hmmm, what field of medicine?

Last edited:

Family medicine.

I'm guessing doctor of philosophy

Family medicine.
as in Family Practice?
or OB/GYN

I'm guessing doctor of philosophy
nope, yous wrong ;)

anyone who defends Cheney and Bush in this day and age are as bad as they are--- and bad they indeed are.

And those people nitpick Obama or Boxer's word because they know they have nothing legitimate to throw at them, unlike with Bush and Cheney where everything heinous applies.

It's a kind of unintended compliment from the Right for Obama, Boxer, etc..

The neocons know this, but will never admit it.

Mr. SAXTON. Without objection. Thank you very much, Mr.
Smith.
Admiral, the floor is yours sir.

Admiral OLSON. Sir, I have submitted a statement for the record.
With your permission, I will not read that but instead make a few
separate comments regarding irregular warfare

Mr. SAXTON. Mr. Secretary thank you, very much.
General, the floor is yours sir.

General MANNON. Good afternoon, and thank you, Chairman
Saxton.

Mr. SMITH. Admiral, General, if either one of you had anything
to add to that?
Admiral OLSON. Sir, I think you have honed in very quickly on
the somewhat nebulous nature of irregular warfare. The desired
end state is an environment that is inhospitable to terrorism and
terrorist activity.

Is it positive? Is it constructive? To comment on that, General
Mannon or Admiral Olson.
General MANNON. Sir, in a general statement, I would say that
with regard to your question concerning Afghanistan
http://www.fas.org/irp/congress/2006_hr/irregular.pdf

This was taken from the House Armed Services Committee. The fact is the U.S. Military uses the words Sir and Ma'am as a respecful sign of addressing someone of higer rank or higher office. Sen. Boxer a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee knows this full well and was grandstanding for reasons that only she knows. She has say in hundreds of hearings and has been addressed as Ma'am in the past by U.S. Military personnel testifying before her I'm quite sure. This was nothing more than a show and a disrespectful one on the part of the Sen. at that. I am frankly not surprised though, from the same person who would not support the USMC and sided with the city of Berkley in their dispute with USMC recruiting issue.

Forum List

Back