Sinus Headache :(

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
Oh man, I have a KILLER sinus headache, so bad I called into work. I took a pill and am killing time on here, waiting for it to kick in so I can go lay down. It hurts to have my head on the pillow right now.

Any advice or tips to make the pain go away?

Oh man, I have a KILLER sinus headache, so bad I called into work. I took a pill and am killing time on here, waiting for it to kick in so I can go lay down. It hurts to have my head on the pillow right now.

But of course... I like natural remedies.

The best expert and reader remedies from Earth Clinic for HEADACHE Cures.

And a caution about otc remedies.

The link between sinus infections and allergy medications.

Boil a big pot of water and breath in the steam. Then put a heating pad over your sinuses.

Boil a big pot of water and breath in the steam. Then put a heating pad over your sinuses.

I have the water, but not a heating pad. :(

I'll try that, thanks!

But of course... I like natural remedies.

The best expert and reader remedies from Earth Clinic for HEADACHE Cures.

And a caution about otc remedies.

The link between sinus infections and allergy medications.

Thanks, there are some good hints on that site!

three advil...

and suck warm salt water through your nose. (I know, it sounds gross... but i know people who swear by it).

In all serious, it may actually be a migraine as migraines can make your nose run and give you a full sensation in the sinuses. So if it becomes a pattern or does not improve with simple treatments, you may want to see your doctor.

Otherwise rest, warm or cool compresses, saline irrigation.

STay the hell away from OTC sinuu remedies and ESPECIALLY stay away from those sprays that clear up sinuses briefly.

All they really do is dry out the mucus membranes and when they kick back in they do so with a vengence.

My sister started using that crap obsessively, and ended up with chronic sinusitus.

wasabi....let it hit the roof of your mouth...will clear out sinus...take a spoon ..let it work then get into a shower ...let the moisture help....i got to get to work....

I get those sinus headaches too. I usually take one sinus motrin (it's just a decongestant and ibuprofen) and an additional ibuprofen. I also massage my sinuses and my neck and especially my shoulders. I think the sinuses drain down the back. Better yet, get someone else to massage your shoulders!

Jillian's remedy helps too. You can get a 'neti pot' at a drug store. Neti pot for sinus health It does sound gross but I know it helps. Helps with allergies too as it washes away the allergens. A really hot shower helps too. Hope you feel better.

STay the hell away from OTC sinuu remedies and ESPECIALLY stay away from those sprays that clear up sinuses briefly.

All they really do is dry out the mucus membranes and when they kick back in they do so with a vengence.

My sister started using that crap obsessively, and ended up with chronic sinusitus.

I agree...like Afrin. I will only recommend the use of those for three days max...but I generally encourage saline first.

three advil...

and suck warm salt water through your nose. (I know, it sounds gross... but i know people who swear by it).

I use what is called a netty pot (Neddy? I'm not sure) to clean our my sinuses occassionally.

They cost a couple bucks at pretty much any decent drug store..

Basically ,what you do is put the right amount of salt into warm water (making it the right ph for your body) and tip the pot such that water drains into your nostril.

It's a little diconcerning at first because it feels like you sinuuses are getting worse, but stick with it.

Repeat one pot per nostril.

At first the water all runs out.

But eventually the water starts flowing between the membrain between your nostrils such that the whole sinus system begins to unjam.

Its works, it's cheap and it is actually GOOD for you, too.

This whole process takes about ten or twenty minutes. It's kind of gross, because your sinuses are going to clean everything out eventually.

I'm sorry I didn't think of this process immediately.

It will work.

I'm a smoker so my sinuses are always in trouble.

When they get truly bad, I use this technique and my sinuses are clearer than they ever are otherwise.

I actually think this technique is one of the reasons I never get a cold anymore.

Last edited:

NO! A cold pack is needed to shrink the swollen sinuses which are causing the headache. Actually, the best remedy for seasonal allergies (I have a lot of trouble with burning, itching eyes and blocked nose) is the stuff you now have to get behind the Pharmacist's counter, containing pseudophedrine. Even though Sudafed and generic brands still look the same on the shelf, they do NOT contain that ingredient which is the one the folks cooking meth were buying by the truckload.

Hope this helps. (I feel your pain--literally).

Why not partake of our Lord's plant garden? Nothing like the blessed Tree of Life! :D

Jesus%20on%20Weed.JPG

I take an Allegra-D and hold an ice cube aganst the roof of my mouth. The ice cube brings the swelling down faster than anything.

Hope the headache is gone by now, Echo.

Thank you dear! It lasted 48 hours, now it's gone for the time being. I don't know what caused it, but if it comes back and continues that long I may have to break down and see a doctor. (Not xoxoxoxoxoxoxtoxi tho! :eek: )

I get worried and paranoid when I get these bad headaches like that. A teacher I work with died a few months ago very sudden. She had been complaining about headaches for a few months, never got them checked out, it turned out she had a brain tumor all along. :( So sad, she was a loving mother and a sweet lady, and my age too.

I do want to thank you all for the advice and help, it really was nice!

Forum List

Back