Single Sexed Schools: An Old Idea Reborn

Discussion in 'Education' started by Annie, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I must admit, if my classes were all boy or all girl, my lesson plans would change, dramatically. This article nails the boy issues, while the girls need more 'empathy' than 'action'.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070930/ap_on_re_us/single_gender_classes

2. CorpMediaSux

CorpMediaSux Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I think SOME of the parts of that article are pure ridiculousness, particularly about the girls and the cosmetic ads, I have a feeling thats a MINOR part of why this gender divide works, but they have to sell papers. What IS true is that girls and guys learn differently and that girls and guys benefit from being seperated whilst their hormones are raging so they can concentrate on their school work. It's just the truth. What needs to happen though is there has ot be some kind of re-integration in highschool so that boys can not develop the kind of stupid sexism that seems to come later, rather than earlier in life.

3. doniston

doniston Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I am going to have to think about this issue. there are many pros and cons here.

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Not 'cosmetic ads' but rather using cosmetics for chemistry lessons, a very good idea. In social studies the boys overwhelming are drawn to war, weapons, technology; the girls to individuals, styles of clothes, hair, and 'homefront'. Not saying it to be cute, but it's recurring throughout any era we discuss in their reports.

5. Doug

Doug Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52
    The research on this which I have seen -- although this was 20 years ago -- came up with mixed results on the question of whether single-sex schools are better for kids. (As such research often does on almost any question about society.)

My own prejudices are that single sex schools will be better for girls, and worse for boys, since boys need more socializing and civilizing than girls do.

On the other hand, I have had bright women who went to single-sex schools tell me that they later realized that they had not been really challenged with cutting-edge thinking there, they way they were later in the mixed environment of university. I think they meant peer-interaction, not teaching.

Where I live in the UK, the public (government-run) schools are mixed, and many of the private schools are single-sex (although this is changing, for market reasons).

I tutor kids from both kinds of school, but I couldn't draw any conclusions from the different experiences of my tutees, because the state schools are so awful in their own right. I did once teach part-time in an all-boys state school, and the atmosphere there reminded me of the brief time I spent in prison, except there was less discipline and more of an ambience of just-below-the-surface violence since the authorities in the school, thanks to various wonderful reforms over the last few decades, had little recourse against the thugs.

My solution: school vouchers for all, and let parents and teacher-entrepreneurs arrive at the best equilibrium mix that they can.

6. RightWingSpirit

RightWingSpirit BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Its been said that girls and boys learn differently, so if that is true, it is wise to have separation in schools.
    Think of the sexual tension in high school. How can anyone learn while hormones are at their zenith?

7. doniston

doniston Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28
    It's called "self-control"

8. eots

eots no fly list

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,606
    and what about transgender children and children with gender identity issues
    where do you suggest we place them ?

9. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    There are how many total transgender children in the world today. Five? Six?

And children with gender identity issues are made, not born. Those kids have bigger problems than bias at school. Look very close to home.

Personally, I've always said that the UK's penchant for same-sex boarding schools results in the little-known fact that most British men have had at least one homosexual experience in their lives. And may account for the low birth rate over there as well.

Just MHO.

10. eots

eots no fly list

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,606
    probable has more to do with priest than private schools