Single Malt

asaratis

Uppity Senior Citizen
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 20, 2009
Stockbridge
Being a user of single malt scotches, I have need to experiment now and then in the realm of exploration into previously unknown samples of the 1200 or so single malts available today.

If you have a favorite single malt or know of some that are really "top shelf" quality, please post here.

I discovered a phenomenal sample recently when I purchased it on impulse, having been browsing a well-stocked package store on the way to a regularly scheduled, all night "sharing of a big bottle of scotch" with my closest friend. Over the years, we have introduced ourselves to many heretofore untried single malts, all coming from one of three mutually exclusive categories...something that I have had but he has not, something he has had but I have not or something neither of us has experienced. This particular hit was chosen solely for its packaging...a short, clear bottle housed in a double-layered corrugated box with no front and no back, with a jute cord carrying strap attached at the top of the box. Glenrothes by name...turned out to be the best either of us has sampled in years.

If you consider yourself a fair or better judge of single malt scotches, please list here your favorites...or those you think might impress me. There's no penalty for mistakes. We will try any available single malt once. (I have chosen some that did not warrant consumption of the entire contents in one sitting...we saved them to offer to those who'll drink anything put before them.)

i have tried:
Balvenie
Glenkinchie
Glenmorangie and all its variants
Green Spot
Laphroaig
Lagavulin
Macallan
Oban
Talisker

My current fav is green spot......my other top three are Glenkinchie Oban and Talisker

one day i hope to hit the whiskey trail .....

i have tried:
Balvenie
Glenkinchie
Glenmorangie and all its variants
Green Spot
Laphroaig
Lagavulin
Macallan
Oban
Talisker

My current fav is green spot......my other top three are Glenkinchie Oban and Talisker

one day i hope to hit the whiskey trail .....
Of those, the only one I have not sampled is Green Spot. I'll try it soon. Lagavulin was not mentioned by name in the OP, but it is among those left unfinished behind the bar, awaiting the appearance of someone who knows no better than to drink it. It was so bad we started drinking Ballentine's, a blended but decent scotch that my dad used often.

Laphroaig is the richest I've had...and the most pleasant to drink straight from the bottle. Talisker is top notch. Oban, too.

Try Benriach.

None better than:

Dallas Dhu
Dun Bheagan
27 year old cask strength

Speyside distillery

Brora
30 year old, Cask Strength

Highland distillery

I used to be a huge fan of Scotch, and then I discovered that Irish Whiskey is both better and cheaper.

For around $45 you can pick up a bottle of this:

redbreast.jpg

A single malt, twelve year old Irish Whiskey. To buy a bottle of Scotch that compares, it would need to be at least 18 years old and will run you at least twice as much.

Bottom line is this: Bourbon is distilled once, Scotch twice and Irish Whiskey three times. And with each distillation the alcohol gets smoother. That's why most bourbon sucks balls. That is also why a mere 6 year old Irish Whiskey has the smoothness of a 12 year old Scotch.

And one more thing, if you have any doubts just ask yourself: Which ethnicity would expect to REALLY know something about whipping up a batch of the devil's brew? :D

Forum List

Back