Since the Liberals Suddenly Embrace "Competition & Choice"...

How do you MAKE parents more involved? Put them in jail for neglect,

Put a parent in jail for not making their child do their homework?

Put a parent in jail for not providing notebooks, pens, pencils, backpacks?

Put a parent in jail for not coming to parent/teacher conferences?

What exactly will you charge these parents with in your nanny state?

Exactly

The Bigotry of Low Expectations has Manifest this since BEFORE LBJ...

It was all Based in Good Intentions, but that's Exactly what the Road to Hell is Paved with.

:)

peace...

Because then they would actually be answerable to the customers, and wouldn't be free to indoctrinate instead of educate!

Silly wabbit!

are health insurance companies answerable to the customers? Or do they just do what they please, in order to be profitable?

You are free to not have insurance and deprive them of your premium money.

My point precisely....

And, this is why I would like to see another FRICKING OPTION out there for us to CHOOSE from, like a nonprofit coop or, God forbid, the Public OPTION that I could buy health insurance coverage from....

Taking those options away, takes away ALL OF OUR CHOICES and limits competition to nil and the mega health insurance companies will price fix, even though that is supposed to be illegal, they are doing it, and it will continue to be even worse, because our stupid gvt is making it mandatory that 20-50 million more people are REQUIRED to buy insurance from them, and from them ONLY if YOU don't allow the coop or public option!

As said, it is GOVERNMENT GIFT HORSE and payback to the Insurance companies WITHOUT it....

WHY people that actually are smart, can not see what is happening here and who and what, they are truly supporting by fighting off the competition. :(

We are being BAMBOOZLED!

Care

How do you MAKE parents more involved? Put them in jail for neglect,

That sounds simple but first you have to define what you mean by "neglect" and then, you are allowing the government to intrude on family affairs to an unprecedented degree.

What do you do if you have a single mother working a series of low wage jobs where missing work might mean losing your job? You going to put her in jail because she can't attend PTA meetings?

I see your point - but no way it can be done forcefully.

The only way it is done at all is in private schools by making it a REQUIREMENT of acceptance. In other words, the school has choice as to who they will accept.

I do believe in school choice in the public school sector...the schools should be able to choose what students they will accept, just like private schools already do.

I jest about jail, although the THREAT or the SHAME of going to jail esp. in cases of truancy, might add a little incentive to get Johnny on the bus in the morning.

I don't know about other states, but NJ has outlawed expulsion. We are required by law to educate every child until the age of 19; 21 if they are classified. Rapists, drug dealers, arsonists, etc. are entitled to a free and appropriate education. The kids know this. The parents know this. So hands are tied. The charter schools (and private schools) can dump every troublemaker they have on the public school and the public school has no where to dump them except maybe jail. They need the parents help. And if that requires a kick in the ass, so be it. But it would be best to start when they are young.

At my kids school, parents must pick up the report card at conferences. No mailing. Not a bad idea in my opinion.

That sounds simple but first you have to define what you mean by "neglect" and then, you are allowing the government to intrude on family affairs to an unprecedented degree.

What do you do if you have a single mother working a series of low wage jobs where missing work might mean losing your job? You going to put her in jail because she can't attend PTA meetings?

The only way it is done at all is in private schools by making it a REQUIREMENT of acceptance. In other words, the school has choice as to who they will accept.

I do believe in school choice in the public school sector...the schools should be able to choose what students they will accept, just like private schools already do.

What happens to those no one wants to accept then?

Either the market will produce someone willing to make a profit off of teaching them, or....there's always those jobs that Americans supposedly don't want.....:eusa_whistle:

they become politicians

I jest about jail, although the THREAT or the SHAME of going to jail esp. in cases of truancy, might add a little incentive to get Johnny on the bus in the morning.

I don't know about other states, but NJ has outlawed expulsion. We are required by law to educate every child until the age of 19; 21 if they are classified. Rapists, drug dealers, arsonists, etc. are entitled to a free and appropriate education. The kids know this. The parents know this. So hands are tied. The charter schools (and private schools) can dump every troublemaker they have on the public school and the public school has no where to dump them except maybe jail. They need the parents help. And if that requires a kick in the ass, so be it. But it would be best to start when they are young.

At my kids school, parents must pick up the report card at conferences. No mailing. Not a bad idea in my opinion.
Parents?
my sister teaches the Learning Disabled, Special ed, in a high school....when i was visiting down there in florida, i volunteered at her school and spent time there during a week in which my sister had parent/ teacher conferences scheduled for a midterm update on all of her kids...

she had 27 students, various ages...but NOT ONE child had both of their birth parents still together or ever together as a married couple for several of them. She had some kids that lived w/their mom, their dad's lived with another woman, who was also the parent of another 2 kids in her class.....The only child that had somewhat of a stable homelife was a boy who was adopted at birth by his parents, they were still together and his parents were a gay couple. She teaches in a very, very poor...all white, neighborhood school.

many of the moms had a live in boyfriend, but most her kids never considered them their dad....

But I will say this, these moms that i met that week, may not have been too smart, but they were smart enough to truly want the best for their kids...and to have them graduate from high school, unlike many of them...overall, my sister was pleased in her children's mother's interest...but could not count on them to be of any help with their children's homework....

I don't know about other states, but NJ has outlawed expulsion. We are required by law to educate every child until the age of 19; 21 if they are classified. Rapists, drug dealers, arsonists, etc. are entitled to a free and appropriate education.
I don't believe you. Please provide evidence.

Either the market will produce someone willing to make a profit off of teaching them, or....there's always those jobs that Americans supposedly don't want.....:eusa_whistle:

That's certainly one way to stratify society.

they become politicians

:clap2:

• Thanks
Reactions: del

Society is already stratified....but I will tell you this, that group that does not get accepted will get smaller when the behavior problems find out that ditch digging isn't so fun.

Society is already stratified....but I will tell you this, that group that does not get accepted will get smaller when the behavior problems find out that ditch digging isn't so fun.

I doubt it's that simple - the implication is that students aren't accepted due to willful behavior problems. There are a variety of reasons for students not to be accepted - many of which have little to do with "choice".

It's my understanding NJ can expel kids, but they have to follow certain procedures before they can do so. Although, given how district-centric education is in NJ, it may vary, from area to area, I suppose.

This one took place in Milburn in March, 2009.

District expels student linked to Millburn High School bat attack
by Pat Kelley/Independent Press
Friday March 13, 2009, 3:30 PM
MILLBURN -- The 15-year-old Millburn High School student who along with his father and older brother has been accused of taking part in a baseball bat attack on a fellow high school student has been expelled from school.

Board of Education officials last Monday voted to expel the student effective immediately. The resolution, which was adopted on March 9, follows a closed-door disciplinary hearing that was held on Wednesday, Feb. 11, and carries the superintendent of schools' recommendation.

District expels student linked to Millburn High School bat attack

Forum List

Back