Since D.C. Gun Ban Lifted...

Can gun control supporters please explain to me how you plan to get criminals to obey they law?

As this thread unintentionally proved, there are ways to reduce gun violence that are not connected to who can or can't own guns.
Really? Chicago would love you to show that, especially Mayor Daley. The gun control laws are draconian, yet every weekend is a blood bath.

Can gun control supporters please explain to me how you plan to get criminals to obey they law?

As this thread unintentionally proved, there are ways to reduce gun violence that are not connected to who can or can't own guns.
Really? Chicago would love you to show that, especially Mayor Daley. The gun control laws are draconian, yet every weekend is a blood bath.

Then maybe they should be doing what DC has been doing for the past 20 years in steadily reducing gun crime.

You have to use your heads here, people.

So much of the urban gun crime in a place like DC is gang related, and so much of that is bad guys shooting each other, mostly with illegal guns, that it is foolish to think that the SCOTUS ruling had any effect on these numbers.

Where did it do that?

When it led me to research the real reasons DC gun crime has been declining for 20 years.
Ummmm...I didn't see any causes listed. I saw numbers.

Well they certainly weren't caused by the SCOTUS ruling in the 20 years before the SCOTUS ruling. I suggested googling district of columbia homicides 2009. I re-suggest that.

Do you agree with the assertion of the OP or not? If you do, what is your evidence?

Welcome, new member.
Thankee right kindly. :)
Using the tortuous and often devious thought processes, the above poster will say anything to refuse to back down from an alternative premise.
Actually, we must be grateful for his ilk, for without them, this would be an empty echo chamber...and they allow the exposition of the right viewpoint.
Echo chambers are boring.
Now, back to gun laws:
"there are ways to reduce gun violence that are not connected to who can or can't own guns."

Such as?

Consider the view of the CDC:

In 2003,the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention studied whether gun control laws actually work including all sorts of gun laws, from bans on types of guns, types of ammunition, licensing and restriction mandates, waiting periods, laws to keep guns from kids, and harsh punishments for violations. Conclusion: no conclusive evidence that gun control laws contribute to decreases in violent crime or suicide. (cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5214a2.htm)

National Academy of Science, in 2004, published a review of 253 journal articles, 99 books, and 43 government publications evaluating 80 gun control attempts: they found none of the gun laws reduced violent crime, suicide, or accidents.( (Firearms and violence: a critical review - Google Books)

In 1997, the English Parliament instituted a gun ban. From 1998 through 2005, the number of deaths and injuries from handguns skyrocketed 340%.
(Ministers 'covered up' gun crime - Times Online)

In 2007, a study published in the Harvard Journal of Law considered gun ownership and murder rates in almost every European country, found that countries with more widespread gun ownership had fewer murders, and those with less gun ownership had more murders. (http://www.garymauser.net/pdf/MauserPaper-200611.pdf)
Uh oh. Facts and logic. Look out, anti-Second Amendmenters! :eek:

You have to use your heads here, people.

So much of the urban gun crime in a place like DC is gang related, and so much of that is bad guys shooting each other, mostly with illegal guns, that it is foolish to think that the SCOTUS ruling had any effect on these numbers.
Sooo...DC gangbangers never attack non-gangbangers, so the then-newly armed non-gangbangers would have no deterrent affect on the gangbangers?

Well, that's interesting.

When it led me to research the real reasons DC gun crime has been declining for 20 years.
Ummmm...I didn't see any causes listed. I saw numbers.

Well they certainly weren't caused by the SCOTUS ruling in the 20 years before the SCOTUS ruling. I suggested googling district of columbia homicides 2009. I re-suggest that.
I'm not doing your homework for you. If you make a claim, you back it up. You haven't done that yet.
Do you agree with the assertion of the OP or not? If you do, what is your evidence?
I believe we were discussing your failure to disprove the assertion in the OP.

A downward trend continues, seemingly unrelated to the new law. That is what I see from the numbers.

And before you say it, I am both a liberal and a gun owner, and have used a gun in a situation that I more than likely would not have survived had I not had the gun.

The arguement here was not gun control, but whether the SCOTUS ruling made a differance in DC. By the trend, I would have to say that the downward trend continues without a statistically significant change that can be ascribed to the ruling. Whatever is happening in DC, it is all to the good.

Then maybe they should be doing what DC has been doing for the past 20 years in steadily reducing gun crime.

What a tool. DC's crime rate/murder rate rose with bans, fell when lifted. Chicago stays as murder city, with draconian handgun laws. They've also instigated lots of attempts to hold gun manufactures and bullet manufacturers libel for their products. No luck in winning though.

Never fear though, those that prevent home invasions, armed burglaries, are prosecuted. Funny thing, judges tend to let them off. Wonder why?

You mean like Somalia, Afghanistan and Iraq?

All heavily armed societies.

You should move there to enjoy their polite society.

How many warlords are there in Israel, Switzerland and the US?

No, you cannot play moral equivalency with peaceful nations and WAR ZONES you dim bulb. Can you even say there is a functional government in those nations right now? You leftists claim all three are in full blown civil war.

Talk about intellectually bankrupt false analogies.

Japan allows virtually no private ownership of handguns and has extremely low rates of gun violence.

they dont need homicide....they just commit suicide....:lol:

You mean like Somalia, Afghanistan and Iraq?

All heavily armed societies.

You should move there to enjoy their polite society.

How many warlords are there in Israel, Switzerland and the US?

No, you cannot play moral equivalency with peaceful nations and WAR ZONES you dim bulb. Can you even say there is a functional government in those nations right now? You leftists claim all three are in full blown civil war.

Talk about intellectually bankrupt false analogies.

Japan allows virtually no private ownership of handguns and has extremely low rates of gun violence.

Japan is a police state, and police states always have low crime rates.

Forum List

Back