Since 2001, The U.S. Has Lost 42,400 Factories, 90,000 More Set to Close

Neubarth

At the Ballpark July 30th
Nov 8, 2008
South Pacific
Something has gone radically wrong with the American economy. A once-robust system of "traditional engineering" -- the invention, design, and manufacture of products -- has been replaced by financial engineering. Without a vibrant manufacturing sector, Wall Street created money it did not have and Americans spent money they did not have.

Americans stopped making the products they continued to buy: clothing, computers, consumer electronics, flat-screen TVs, household items, and millions of automobiles.

America's economic elite has long argued that the country does not need an industrial base. The economies in states such as California and Michigan that have lost their industrial base, however, belie that claim. Without an industrial base, an increase in consumer spending, which pulled the country out of past recessions, will not put Americans back to work. Without an industrial base, the nation's trade deficit will continue to grow. Without an industrial base, there will be no economic ladder for a generation of immigrants, stranded in low-paying service-sector jobs. Without an industrial base, the United States will be increasingly dependent on foreign manufacturers even for its key military technology.

For American manufacturers, the bad years didn't begin with the banking crisis of 2008. Indeed, the U.S. manufacturing sector never emerged from the 2001 recession, which coincided with China's entry into the World Trade Organization. Since 2001, the country has lost 42,400 factories, including 36 percent of factories that employ more than 1,000 workers (which declined from 1,479 to 947), and 38 percent of factories that employ between 500 and 999 employees (from 3,198 to 1,972). An additional 90,000 manufacturing companies are now at risk of going out of business.
The Plight of American Manufacturing | The American Prospect

There are nascent signs that the administration is awaking to the need for new economic policies aimed at private-sector industrial investment and the creation of good jobs. President Barack Obama has appointed Ron Bloom, a financial whiz, to be his "senior counselor for manufacturing policy." Bloom, a graduate of Harvard Business School, worked for years in the investment-banking industry before taking a job with the United Steelworkers, using his experience to help restructure companies to assure their survival and their ability to employ American workers. He also worked on the Obama administration's Task Force on the Automotive Industry, which (at least for now) saved General Motors and Chrysler from extinction. Bloom is piecing together a strategy that will build upon investments being made in the $787 billion economic stimulus package aimed at helping the U.S. clean-energy sector.

When it hits the fan sometimes government IS the answer.

There are nascent signs that the administration is awaking to the need for new economic policies aimed at private-sector industrial investment and the creation of good jobs. President Barack Obama has appointed Ron Bloom, a financial whiz, to be his "senior counselor for manufacturing policy." Bloom, a graduate of Harvard Business School, worked for years in the investment-banking industry before taking a job with the United Steelworkers, using his experience to help restructure companies to assure their survival and their ability to employ American workers. He also worked on the Obama administration's Task Force on the Automotive Industry, which (at least for now) saved General Motors and Chrysler from extinction. Bloom is piecing together a strategy that will build upon investments being made in the $787 billion economic stimulus package aimed at helping the U.S. clean-energy sector.

When it hits the fan sometimes government IS the answer.
Anything that works to put people back to work in lasting jobs.

We have the market, it is all we need.
Everyone just needs to play the market, No one really needs to actually produce anything, that is for poor countries to do.

Last edited:
FREE TRADE is anything but free, folks.

We're in the depression becuase for decades we deluded ourselves (well some of us did, I mean) into thinking that the factory workers didn't matter.

Well guess what?

They did.

We're in the depression becuase for decades we deluded ourselves (well some of us did, I mean) into thinking that the factory workers didn't matter.

Well guess what?

They did.

Good programming.
And by which side? Lets see ...which side likes factory workers and which side likes free trade?

And of course media pundits had nothing to do with this?

How many more posts until someone steps up to blame American workers for making too much money?

Well guess what?

They did.

Good programming.
And by which side? Lets see ...which side likes factory workers and which side likes free trade?

Which side did this, you ask?

The INside did it.

The INsides are the only people capable of making policies.

You and me?

Well I'm not sure about you, but I strongly suspect, no matter what your political persuasion is, you and I are both OUTSIDERS.

Well guess what?

They did.

Good programming.

Which side did this, you ask?

The INside did it.

The INsides are the only people capable of making policies.

You and me?

Well I'm not sure about you, but I strongly suspect, no matter what your political persuasion is, you and I are both OUTSIDERS.

Ohh I am an outsider in many ways.

Don't we all feel so much better now about the stimulus funds Obama sent to Brazil and China?

Don't we all feel so much better now about the stimulus funds Obama sent to Brazil and China?

Obama sent or corporations sent?

Most of the public utilities in my red state seems to be owned by Germany. KU- electric. American Water, etc all german owned.

Last edited:
I don't mean to rain on your populist parade, but the American working class will not recover from this recession precisely because their standard of living is still above that of the average world laborer.

I don't mean to rain on your populist parade, but the American working class will not recover from this recession precisely because their standard of living is still above that of the average world laborer.

what I have been telling everyone for 10 years. This is the inevitable result of free global trade and a global economy.
And the righties have ragged/ridiculed me about it all the time.

The poor get richer and the not so poor get poorer.
The rich still get richer though.

Actually more like 30 years since I realized that Ross was right and voted for him.

Last edited:
Obama sent or corporations sent?

Most of the public utilities in my red state seems to be owned by Germany. KU- electric. American Water, etc all german owned.

Do you think it makes it better if the funds are laundered through some corporate cronies?

Something has gone radically wrong with the American economy. A once-robust system of "traditional engineering" -- the invention, design, and manufacture of products -- has been replaced by financial engineering. Without a vibrant manufacturing sector, Wall Street created money it did not have and Americans spent money they did not have.

Americans stopped making the products they continued to buy: clothing, computers, consumer electronics, flat-screen TVs, household items, and millions of automobiles.

America's economic elite has long argued that the country does not need an industrial base. The economies in states such as California and Michigan that have lost their industrial base, however, belie that claim. Without an industrial base, an increase in consumer spending, which pulled the country out of past recessions, will not put Americans back to work. Without an industrial base, the nation's trade deficit will continue to grow. Without an industrial base, there will be no economic ladder for a generation of immigrants, stranded in low-paying service-sector jobs. Without an industrial base, the United States will be increasingly dependent on foreign manufacturers even for its key military technology.

For American manufacturers, the bad years didn't begin with the banking crisis of 2008. Indeed, the U.S. manufacturing sector never emerged from the 2001 recession, which coincided with China's entry into the World Trade Organization. Since 2001, the country has lost 42,400 factories, including 36 percent of factories that employ more than 1,000 workers (which declined from 1,479 to 947), and 38 percent of factories that employ between 500 and 999 employees (from 3,198 to 1,972). An additional 90,000 manufacturing companies are now at risk of going out of business.
The Plight of American Manufacturing | The American Prospect

The problem really started back in the late 70's and 80's.

Which is why the average world labourer has to have their standard of living lifted.

Which is why the average world labourer has to have their standard of living lifted.

The tried and true method to do that is via free markets.

Just sayin'.

Forum List

Back