Since 1990, Corporate Profits Up 200%, Household Income Up 2% - BCA

The purpose of government is to see to it that the quality of life of its citizens is good.

CLEARLY in the last generations they government has forgotten that THAT is its mission.

See, right here we have the issue in a nutshell. Liberals think this way, it's the gov'ts job to constantly improve the quality of life. IOW, control the outcomes. I totally disagree, each individual citizen should be responsible for their quality of life not the gov't. It's gov'ts role to ensure the process is fair, nobody's rights get trampled. It is not gov'ts purpose to ensure the results (outcomes) are fair or equal.

ensuring the outcomes are fair is a result of ensuring the process is fair, wise "one"....at least in my opinion, they are totally connected.

I mean, how could the process be ensured to be fair, if none of the results of the process are fair results? Know what i mean?

ensuring the outcomes are fair is a result of ensuring the process is fair, wise "one"....at least in my opinion, they are totally connected.

I mean, how could the process be ensured to be fair, if none of the results of the process are fair results? Know what i mean?

"Fair" results or outcomes comes down to redistributing the wealth. It's one thing to work on the justice system, our rules and regs, to make sure everyone gets a "fair" chance. It's another to look at the outcomes and decide, well this or that isn't "fair" cuz some people got more than others. You don't change the laws or rules to benefit one group over another to rig it so that a different group of people come out on top, or equalize the outcomes. That is I think the main focus of the liberals, I believe the entire system suffers when that happens.

"Fair" results or outcomes comes down to redistributing the wealth. It's one thing to work on the justice system, our rules and regs, to make sure everyone gets a "fair" chance. It's another to look at the outcomes and decide, well this or that isn't "fair" cuz some people got more than others. You don't change the laws or rules to benefit one group over another to rig it so that a different group of people come out on top, or equalize the outcomes. That is I think the main focus of the liberals, I believe the entire system suffers when that happens.

You keep telling us what liberals believe. I am a liberal and I don't believe anything you portray. Care4all has it right.

Do you recognize that there is always a built in dynamic where big, wealthy and well funded will always come out on 'top' unless there is some intervention?

You keep telling us what liberals believe. I am a liberal and I don't believe anything you portray. Care4all has it right.

Do you recognize that there is always a built in dynamic where big, wealthy and well funded will always come out on 'top' unless there is some intervention?

I base my tinking about liberals on what I hear them say and do. Does it mean every single one is the same? Course not, any more than conservatives are.

Yes, the wealthy and well funded will always come out on top when there is economic expansion. Why? Cuz they got the most money to invest and profit from. That's not evil or wrong, it just is.

I base my tinking about liberals on what I hear them say and do. Does it mean every single one is the same? Course not, any more than conservatives are.

Yes, the wealthy and well funded will always come out on top when there is economic expansion. Why? Cuz they got the most money to invest and profit from. That's not evil or wrong, it just is.

I am not talking about economic expansion, I was talking about the marketplace and the justice system. Do you support strong consumer protection? Do you support tort reform?

Depends on what you mean by "reform".

I am well aware of what can happen without adequate regulation of commerce and protection of employees and consumers. Seems like we swing too far one way and then the other as far as deregulation is concerned, without really doing what makes the most sense for everybody. Same deal with tort reform, people should have the option of legal action to redress wrongdoing, but we're overdoing it IMHO.

People are different. Some like to work four hours per day and others want to work 16. Some go to college some don't. Some are strong and smart and some are weak and stupid. Differences in people are good, and the only way to be 'fair' is seeing that these differences make different outcomes.

Depends on what you mean by "reform".

I am well aware of what can happen without adequate regulation of commerce and protection of employees and consumers. Seems like we swing too far one way and then the other as far as deregulation is concerned, without really doing what makes the most sense for everybody. Same deal with tort reform, people should have the option of legal action to redress wrongdoing, but we're overdoing it IMHO.

IMO, if anything is underdone, it is consumer protection and if anything is overdone it is tort reform.

This stuff should not be difficult or cause anxiety. We were all taught right from wrong at an early age. If someone does another person wrong, then their status or wealth should have no bearing.

Our founding fathers heavily regulated and controlled corporations. They viewed taking money from the American people as a privilege, not a right. They had no qualms about pulling a corporation's charter and holding owners and stockholders personally liable for any damage they caused.

Forum List

Back