sin taxes vs. taxing churches

WTF is he talking about?

There's no tobacco industry because your liberal friends chased it out of the country, strolling.

And as far as the nut who is whining about the church putting in $14000 windows...#1, how do you know how much they spent on the project? and #2, you do realize that some entrepreneur was able to pocket that money.

Oh, wait. I forgot. It's bad to stimulate the economy, and bad to have beautiful things around us. We should all dress in homespun and ride bicycles and huddle together 30 to a 2-room apartment. And ration health care and energy. And not eat meat. And anyone who dares to whisper about religion or freedom of speech should be taken into the woods and shot...it's better than they deserve.

allie ...pay attention...the government of nc...is talking about more sin taxes...the tobacco industry is dead here...no one grows it...now...most have lost their allotments...moved overseas long ago...cheaper to grow..

its all the liberals...its all the liberals....do you have that written on your hand....so you can remember it?

In this case it is the liberals, Bones.

They are on the anti-smoking, anti-soda, no trans fats, we'll control your healthcare so we'll control what you eat kick.

You should be able to smoke in anywhere the owner of a property allows it.

If people don't want second hand smoke from the bar whose owner allows smoking...DON'T GO THERE.

"Well that's not fair to non-smokers!"

Tough...open your own bar and you get to make the rules.

And don't think it's because I'm a smoker...I kicked the habit 7 years ago.

i am not debating who did this...just why churches have this special status....and is there any true accountablity in churches....

This is great. Villify the churches, and punish people for belonging to them.

The US is crumbling before our eyes. Freedom of religion and the protection of those who want to practice that religion, and a complete governmental hands-off policy is what keeps Americans free, you fucking idiots.

And it's LIBERALS who go for the fucking sin taxes. You don't see the baptist tobacco farmers of the carolinas or the methodist distillery workers voting to tax fucking cigarettes and liquor. It's the LIBERALS who are doing their best to shut down all industry in this country, and place it in the hands of the government...while at the same time getting rid of anyone who dissents. Which are, incidentally, Christians...the same people who have always complained at the removal of freedom and individuality, or state mandated religion (or state-mandated removal of religion).

BTW, they're removing guns from households in Houston now.

since you have no link for that statement i will assume you are talking about ...the removal of guns from suspected gun dealers near the mexican boarder....that is what i like..do something about illegals and crime....then bitch about it when its done...goes to show that only idiots belong to the nra and register their guns....the nra mailing list could simply become the targets of gun control....go underground and buy underground.....if you are really that concerned....

links would be nice allie....or is it hard to link to the voices in your head?

i am not debating who did this...just why churches have this special status....and is there any true accountablity in churches....
Is there true accountability with anything?

Really if you checked into all the not for profit and non profit shit in this country much of it is a sham. Churches would better serve the people of God if they just paid their taxes like anyone and everyone should equally... I mean all if we are going to get down to the nitty gritty on all of it then everyone needs to pay their fair share. Many of the churches now are state churches as they cow tow to those tax exempt statutes/regulations set by the IRS. You can't say this and you can't say that as you may offend someone is crap. The churches that have pillaged funds in the name of God are corrupt and the businesses that operate as non profits only to line someones pocket are not non profits.

The rich create tax shelters with their libraries, associations, foundations and such.....Corporates buy in to communities with so called donations to their pet projects and most generally they stole the money from someone whether it be the middle class and the poor with their fees, excessive cost, grants from public funds and perks from taxpayer dollars. It's all bullshit.

The people should demand that all non profit rules be revamped to halt the abuse of peoples goodwill and the abuse of the system as it now is.

In the United States two of the wealthiest Non-Profit Organizations are the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, which has an endowment of $38 billion and the Howard Hughes Medical Institute, which has an endowment of approximately $14.8 billion.

A nonprofit organization (abbreviated NPO, also not-for-profit) is an organization that does not distribute its surplus funds to owners or shareholders, but instead uses them to help pursue its goals. Examples of NPOs include charities (i.e. charitable organizations) , trade unions, and public arts organizations. Most governments and government agencies meet this definition, but in most countries they are considered a separate type of organization and not counted as NPOs.

Whereas for-profit corporations exist to earn and distribute taxable business earnings to shareholders, the nonprofit corporation exists solely to provide programs and services that are of public benefit. Often these programs and services are not otherwise provided by local, state, or federal entities. While they are able to earn a profit, more accurately called a surplus, such earnings must be retained by the organization for its future provision of programs and services. Earnings may not benefit individuals or stake-holders.[1] Nonprofit organizations may put substantial funds into hiring leadership and management personnel. In the past many nonprofits considered this to be unreasonably businesslike and money-focused, but since the late 1980s there has been a growing consensus that nonprofits can achieve their missions more effectively by using some of the same methods developed in for-profit enterprises. These include effective internal management, ensuring accountability for results, and monitoring the performance of different divisions or projects in order to make the best use of their funds and people. Those require management and that, in turn, begins with the organization's mission.[2]

Non-profit organization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't think it is a special status just for churches. Any organization can file as a non-profit.

We started a non-profit to raise money to buy new bulletproof vests for our county sheriff's office...it was a 501c I believe.

As long as we adhered to the regulations governing NPO's we were tax exempt and donations were tax deductible.

The same for churches.

As for accountability, there is the same accountability as for any other corporation. You keep detailed accounting, and submit an in depth statement to the IRS each year.

Your donations at church are used to pay lawyers and child rape victims. Think about that next time you throw money into the collection plate.

Forum List

Back