sin taxes vs. taxing churches

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
seems the nc state government is considering more "sin taxes" ....i propose a tax be levied on church income....i hear the bullshit that that is unfair...you are taking the people twice....first their personal taxes then what they give to the church...hello ...we are now paying taxes on taxes but as long as its called sin taxes it flies.?

so why not tax the churches...they all admit to be sinners..dont they?

i propose a tax be levied on church income...

The vast majority of churches are barely hanging on. Also consider the point that churches provide valuable community functions and some provide charity services.

Booze just takes from society, so let's tax it. It isn't like it provides any real benefit.

An extremely rare few are what are described as "super churches". And many of those churches provide huge charity and social services.

i hear the bullshit that that is unfair...

It is. Why take from the churches when they provide much good for the community at large ? Booze takes from the community.

...you are taking the people twice....first their personal taxes then what they give to the church

Those aren't "taxes". Those are tithes. That's what pays the expenditures for the churches and provides money for their charity outreach programs. They have their bills to pay and the church to maintain and to pay the preacher's bills if he is a fulltime preacher.

hello ...we are now paying taxes on taxes but as long as its called sin taxes it flies.?

Well booze and religious institutions are two entirely different worlds. Booze takes from society and religious institutions give to society.

Seriously weak logic. And do you think any politician would be stupid enough to propose that ? They'd be out of office and out on their ass asap.

**Full disclosure** I'm an Atheist and an avid drinker, but I realize and fully grasp the negative effects of booze on society and the positive effects of religious institutions on society.

we are not just talking booze....and i dont agree with you on chruches doing a lot of charity work....i see a few doing that...not the majority..unless you are counting money going overseas etc...mega churches are esp. offensive..and what about faith healers like benny hinn?

do you disagree that churches are full of sinners? perhaps a tax on adultery...the list goes on and on...fat women in spandex is a sin

Churches are not taxed because they are a nonprofit or not for profit, such as Salvation Army, the American Red Cross, The United Way, Good Will....

If there are no profits, there is no tax to be rendered....no?

Or am i misunderstanding such?

in addition to this...the FIRST AMENDMENT!!!

Congress shall make no law regarding an established church.....i'd bet that would include legislating taxes simply against them....

right now they are tax exempt because they fall under a nonprofit, not because there is a law specifically giving them this benefit alone...is my understanding.

seems the nc state government is considering more "sin taxes" ....i propose a tax be levied on church income....i hear the bullshit that that is unfair...you are taking the people twice....first their personal taxes then what they give to the church...hello ...we are now paying taxes on taxes but as long as its called sin taxes it flies.?

Just take away their tax exempt status. This would mainly benefit the cities and states they reside in...they pay NO taxes on items purchased.

Churches are not taxed because they are a nonprofit or not for profit, such as Salvation Army, the American Red Cross, The United Way, Good Will....

Congress shall make no law regarding an established church.....i'd bet that would include legislating taxes simply against them....

right now they are tax exempt because they fall under a nonprofit, not because there is a law specifically giving them this benefit alone...is my understanding.
The thing about non profits is that while they may not bring in profits to the organization, they can be extremely profitable for members and employees.

Look at Tammy Faye and What-was-his-name.

Just take away their tax exempt status. This would mainly benefit the cities and states they reside in...they pay NO taxes on items purchased.

The mega churches should definately be taxed. I don't know that there is anyway to do that and exclude the small, humble and meager churches but the mega churches with private stadiums and gymnasiums, sure. That's profit.

but churches usually do a lot for the community.

I say eliminate the tax-exempt status period.

As long as charitable / non-profit organizations do what they claim to do, they won't have any income left over to tax anyway. Right? :eusa_shhh:

The thing about non profits is that while they may not bring in profits to the organization, they can be extremely profitable for members and employees.

Look at Tammy Faye and What-was-his-name.

and he broke the law and went to jail... as i am certain there are plenty of others that should....

the laws already, need enforcing!

the vatican is one of the richest churches and all..land holdings etc...why arent they paying taxes...

manie is right...remove them all...

i live within a mile of 2 churches....neither of them have done a damn thing for me....one just laid out
14 k for stained glass windows....who did that help? in the community? but yet they dont pay taxes on it....

the vatican is one of the richest churches and all..land holdings etc...why arent they paying taxes...

manie is right...remove them all...

i live within a mile of 2 churches....neither of them have done a damn thing for me....one just laid out
14 k for stained glass windows....who did that help? in the community? but yet they dont pay taxes on it....

Too many churches act like businesses. Vatican is not under American jurisdiction. I know you know that, but just to put it into perspective.

Forum List

Back