Simple question to gun advocates

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Slade3200, Oct 5, 2017.

1. radical right

radical right Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,285
    They aren't confiscating guns from these people, but they do want to put controls on them running out and buying more guns, or more powerful guns. Because of the current law, we don't even know how many guns these people have, so confiscation is completely off the table..

2. radical right

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,285
    then why did you say:
    Using subsonic ammunition makes downrange virtually silent.

3. radical right

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,285
    NOPE, he may have to put a different barrel with a different rate of twist to maintain the accuracy. And maybe adjust for the additional bullet drop. But silencers are for close range use. .

4. westwall

westwall USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,189

No, they're not. They are for any range, and where do you get this different rate of twist nonsense? That is fantasy land movie tripe BS dude.. On a pistol they can be made extremely quiet. And stop showing your ignorance by calling them silencers, they are properly called suppressors. They suppress noise, they don't eliminate it. I have a MP5SD3 SMG with the integral suppressor and it is incredibly quiet. So quiet that it loses most of its power so that in a situation where it is used the SOP is to dump the magazine into the target to make sure the target stops. I have handguns that are likewise very quiet, but I also have them on my Steyr SSG PII which is a very long range rifle.

[​IMG]

5. radical right

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,285
    Putting a silencer on a high powered rifle is like putting mufflers on a dragster. As you said, you put a silencer on a pistol, and it's incredibly quiet.

But you can't put a silencer on a hand grenade. Well you can, but it would be equally dumb.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  6. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,951
    You've been watching too many episodes of Law and Order.

And by the way, how much practice to you need to point in the direction of a large crowd and pull the trigger?

This is nothing but window dressing that will not solve anything. But be my guest, ban away if it will make you feel better.

7. radical right

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,285

There is a certain practiced finesse to operate a bump stock. It's not just point and shoot, the weapons user has to compress the stock, but not too little, not too much, but just right. Of the three bears, only one can fire a bump stock, without practice, practice practice.

8. radical right

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,285
    Essentially, the bump stock bounced, or “bumps,” between the shooter’s trigger finger and shoulder. “The shooter holds his or her trigger finger in place, while maintaining forward pressure on the barrel and backward pressure on the pistol grip while firing,” it says ” This modification can be done legally and allows the user to fire at rates similar to those of automatic weapons.

A Wikipedia post explains further that during a shot, the firearm will recoil (“bump” back) and the trigger will reset as it normally does; then the non-trigger hand pulls the firearm away from the body and back to the original position, pressing the trigger against the stationary finger again, thereby firing another round when the trigger is pushed back.

What's a bump fire stock and how may it have helped the Vegas shooter kill so many people so quickly?

9. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,951
    I have used one many times, it's no big deal, anyone can do it.

Here's the thing, any time a tragic even like this happens, you guys immediately call for some sort of ban, some sort of restrictions on guns.
    It would be great if it would actually stop a nut like the Las Vegas murderer, but it won't.

How about looking in a different direction for a change if YOU HONESTLY want to limit these situations ?

How about for instance, restricting events that will have large crowds if the venue is out in the open, and it's situated next to high rise hotels, apts., businesses, etc. ?

10. westwall

westwall USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,189

Wrong. The suppressor on the rifle makes it so that I can shoot my rifle without having to wear my ear protection. Which makes shooting a lot more pleasant. You can trot out whatever straw man argument you wish, but I KNOW what I am talking about. And you don't. It's as simple as that.