Simple question to gun advocates

There will always be wingnuts on both sides of the spectrum calling for more or less. You can never satisfy everybody. But it also is not fair to say that an entire ideology or side is in agreement with the extremists. I don't hear many on the Left calling for the abolishment of the second amendment, so until that is the reality, lets stick with what is actually happening.

why would you "hear them"...when you are trying to abolish an amendment to the constitution your best course of action is stealth...one step at a time...nibble, nibble, nibble.

I'm curious. Why did you support the ban of automatic weapons in 1986?

I figured gun crime would go away...how can ya have mass shootings if the automatics are banned?...I do believe that the 86 ban was due in large part to sudden rise of the UZI...I read an article about drive-by shootings in L.A. where "uzi-spray" was all the rage...I could be wrong about that but I think that was the case.
Do you think the ban may have saved lives by diminishing the firepower from crazy shooters? Putting single shot weapons into their hands instead of bullet spraying uzi's...
Almost NO one uses automatic weapons for shooting people, it is not that hard to get a fully automatic weapon if one wants one, they are inefficient and not designed for shooting up people. the purpose of full auto on a rifle is suppression fire and almost NO military actually uses that any more they depend on dedicated automatic weapons.

I'm fine with automatic weapons being banned. But if we give the gun control freaks and inch they take a mile, look lets be honest the gun control lobby their goal is to ban guns, period. It doesn't matter how much we compromise with those assholes they will just keep coming back until there is a full ban on private gun ownership.
If you support banning automatic weapons then wouldn't it make sense to ban the bump stocks that turn semi's into autos? also anything else that gives the mass destruction capabilities which is at the heart of why the Autos were banned?

I said multiple times yesterday bump stocks should 100% absolutely be banned!! I have a BIG problem with a device intended to do an end run around current law and getting away with it on a technicality. Second, bump stocks only make it that much easier for the gun control lobby to attack us its freaking stupid.

How about we trade bump stocks for national CCW reciprocity?
Sounds like you like the political pork trading games that stall up just about every bill trying to get pushed through Washington. How about we just deal with one issue at a time? If you think bump stocks are a hazard then lets ban them. If you think the CCW laws in NYC are too strict the make your case and rally votes to change them.

Did you support the provision that banned automatic weapons in 1986? Do you support it now? Why or why not?

Automatic weapons were not banned in 1986.
It was a provision the Firearm Owners' Protection Act... I'm not interested in the semantics or gotchya games. The purpose of this thread is to discuss the right to own automatic weapons or not.

There will always be wingnuts on both sides of the spectrum calling for more or less. You can never satisfy everybody. But it also is not fair to say that an entire ideology or side is in agreement with the extremists. I don't hear many on the Left calling for the abolishment of the second amendment, so until that is the reality, lets stick with what is actually happening.

why would you "hear them"...when you are trying to abolish an amendment to the constitution your best course of action is stealth...one step at a time...nibble, nibble, nibble.

I figured gun crime would go away...how can ya have mass shootings if the automatics are banned?...I do believe that the 86 ban was due in large part to sudden rise of the UZI...I read an article about drive-by shootings in L.A. where "uzi-spray" was all the rage...I could be wrong about that but I think that was the case.
Do you think the ban may have saved lives by diminishing the firepower from crazy shooters? Putting single shot weapons into their hands instead of bullet spraying uzi's...
Almost NO one uses automatic weapons for shooting people, it is not that hard to get a fully automatic weapon if one wants one, they are inefficient and not designed for shooting up people. the purpose of full auto on a rifle is suppression fire and almost NO military actually uses that any more they depend on dedicated automatic weapons.
So do you support legalizing them?

Did you support the provision that banned automatic weapons in 1986? Do you support it now? Why or why not?

It was a provision the Firearm Owners' Protection Act... I'm not interested in the semantics or gotchya games. The purpose of this thread is to discuss the right to own automatic weapons or not.
It is LEGAL to own automatic weapons in 37 States.

It is already legal in 37 States.

Latest Crime Statistics Released

15,696 murders in 2016.

"Firearms were used in 71.5 percent of the nation’s murders". So that works out to 11,223 gun homicides in one year.

Assault weapons are used in only about 2 percent of gun homicides.

So you can ban fully automatic guns, and you can ban bump stocks, and you can ban assault weapons. And then you can glow in the self-aggrandizing warmth of believing you have done something.

But you won't save 98 percent of the people murdered each year by firearms.

Shootings like the one in Las Vegas are dramatic and grab a lot of eyeballs. But they are a tiny drop in the overflowing bucket of homicides in America.

Which is why the ultimate aim of the gun control lobby is to ban ALL guns.

We need to find something more effective at preventing gun homicides besides symbolic AWBs or banning all guns.

Anyone have any bright ideas?

Fire away.

What part of "the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" in unclear?

The part about "Well-Regulated Militias...."

This guy on Sunday is not a well-regulated militia...
the well regulated militia isn't where the "right to bear arms" is aimed,it is the reason for allowing "people" the right to bear arms [heck, every tyrant on the planet or that ever lived has given their militias that right to bear arms, they do not need a constitutional amendment just a nod from uncle joe]

There is no ban on automatic weapons. That is not nit picking nor is it semantics

THAT IS A FACT.

So the entire premise of your thread is based on nonfactual statements

I'm fine with automatic weapons being banned. But if we give the gun control freaks and inch they take a mile, look lets be honest the gun control lobby their goal is to ban guns, period. It doesn't matter how much we compromise with those assholes they will just keep coming back until there is a full ban on private gun ownership.
If you support banning automatic weapons then wouldn't it make sense to ban the bump stocks that turn semi's into autos? also anything else that gives the mass destruction capabilities which is at the heart of why the Autos were banned?

I said multiple times yesterday bump stocks should 100% absolutely be banned!! I have a BIG problem with a device intended to do an end run around current law and getting away with it on a technicality. Second, bump stocks only make it that much easier for the gun control lobby to attack us its freaking stupid.

Sounds like you like the political pork trading games that stall up just about every bill trying to get pushed through Washington. How about we just deal with one issue at a time? If you think bump stocks are a hazard then lets ban them. If you think the CCW laws in NYC are too strict the make your case and rally votes to change them.

Nah, if you reealllly think banning bump stocks is that important, you would be willing to trade something as obviously infringing as NYC's handgun laws.

It is already legal in 37 States.
Are they still being produced and sold to consumers in those 37 states? Youre going off subject, reel it back in

There is no ban on automatic weapons. That is not nit picking nor is it semantics

THAT IS A FACT.

Can you go to your local gun store and buy an automatic machine gun?

Nah, if you reealllly think banning bump stocks is that important, you would be willing to trade something as obviously infringing as NYC's handgun laws.
Sorry, I don't play those games

THAT IS A FACT.

You can order them they are NOT banned. There is NO Federal law banning the ownership purchase or transfer of automatic weapons.

THAT IS A FACT.

Irrelevant. I can own an automatic weapon with the proper federal permits and I can buy one from a dealer with the proper federal permits therefore there is no ban on automatic weapons

Sorry, I don't play those games

Then you really don't care then do you?

Forum List

Back