Simple Poll on Israel

Does israel have the right to exist?

• Total voters
Wow Ang could you find a more biased source! :cuckoo: Sir, what you presented was disingenious and misleading. In Israel Jews, Muslim and Druze authorities all rule over Jewish, Muslim and Druze marriage like each party wants. Its hardest on secular Jews, since they need rabbical authorities to grant it. Just like in America many Priest will refuse to grant the marriage. However, its misleading to believe secular Jews can't marry. All my relatives in Israel are secular non-religious Jews and they are legally married. Muslim authorities reside over Muslim marriage. So if a Jew wants to marry a Muslim they would have to get approval from the Muslim authorities. Ditto for Christians. Ditto for Druze. May time the religious leaders of each sec don't want interfaith marriages. However, they can still marry overseas such as in Cyrus!

Marriage in Israel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
What makes you think that Religious Tolerance.Org is biased?

From your wiki article:
"Views on civil marriage

Since the establishment of the rabbinical courts, the status quo agreement has been subject to criticism, but also to the strong support from the religious community. The main argument of the supporters of the system is that a change of the status quo will divide the Jewish people in Israel between those who marry according to Jewish religious standards and those who marry in a civil marriage. These would not be registered or scrutinized by the rabbinate, and thus their child may be considered illegitimate, or a mamzer, if they wished to marry a child of a couple married in accordance with halakha. Opponents of the status quo consider the system to be contrary to people's civil rights.
Although most of the debate relating to civil marriage in Israel is conducted in the Jewish community, the issue has the same implications for all other religious communities in Israel.

[edit] Support for religious marriages

Supporters of the status quo argue that:

• The marriages in the rabbinical court preserve the holiness of the state of Israel, and supposedly add a spiritual and religious dimension of family purity according to Jewish religious laws.
  • Civil marriage will lead to the assimilation and intermarriage. Marriage in the rabbinical court, it is argued, is a guarantee to the continuation of the existence of the Jewish population in the state of Israel.
  • A secular legislator is incapable of understanding the importance of religious halakha standards to the religious community.
  • From a religious standpoint, a religious ceremony causes no harm even though it imposes halakhic standards on non-religious Israelis - it is even considered by the religious community to be a mitzvah, a noble deed.

[edit] Support for civil marriages

Supporters of civil marriage in Israel argue that the status quo violates the rights of Israeli citizens by:

• imposing religious standards on those who do not desire it.
  • creating difficulty for the marriage of people who belong to different religious community, or people who do not observe any religion.
  • not permitting marriages of those who are prohibited by halakha, such as marriage between a person considered to be a mamzer, or a Cohen wishing to marry a divorcee. It also prohibits widows who did not have any children from a previous husband from getting re-married without passing halizah.
  • abridging religious equality by refusing to delegating authority to Reform and Conservative communities.
  • discriminating against women, by the inclusion of institutions as Aginot and "recalcitrant wives", and by refusing to permit women to officiate as a rabbi in the rabbinical court.
Supporters of civil marriage also argue that the status quo is in breach of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 16 of which states that "men and women of full age, without any limitation due to race, nationality or religion, have the right to marry and to found a family."

[edit] Arrangement attempts of the legal situation

[edit] The verdict

At the times when people petitioned the Supreme Court of Israel, trying to convince the Supreme Court to form an authority of civil marriages, the Supreme Court refused to do so, declaring that this was the responsibility of the Knesset. In cases when people requested to proclaim themselves as being "non-religious", in order that the court would be able to recognize his or her marriage according to an acceptable civil judgment, the court rejected their assertion. The only time in which the Court determined that the Ministry had to recognize a marriage between a Cohen and a divorcee was when it was based on the religious law that determines that those are forbidden marriages from the start but allowable post factum.[citation needed]

[edit] Alternative methods

Over time a number of alternative methods have been used by couples who wished to marry but did not want to marry in a religious ceremony, or who were unable to marry in Israel.
One method is to have a wedding outside Israel. Cyprus became the most convenient venue for many Israelis. Also, Paraguay became another jurisdiction where marriage would be conducted, because these could be effected by mail, without the couple being in Paraguay.
Another approach is to resort to a common-law marriage. A common-law marriage entitles the partners to most of the rights of a formally married couple in relation to inheritance, pensions and the landlord and tenant matters. However, the status of common-law marriage is not equal to the formal marriage in many fields. For example, the exemption from military service for a married woman only applies to a formally married woman.
The jurist, Frances Radi, supports these attempts to "bypass the law in legal ways", but points out that the necessity of an Israeli to resort to the use of a foreign state in order to get married diminishes value to the alternative ways to get married. In her view, "the existence of those minor alternatives only points out the lack of the respect to the secular values that the Israeli judiciary demonstrates".

[edit] Political attempts to resolve the situation

In the late 1960s the Independent Liberal party attempted to enable civil marriages for couples who could not marry in rabbinical courts; however, this attempt caused a governmental crisis.
The Meretz party, and its historical component parties Mapam, Ratz and Shinui have been leading a struggle for civil marriages in Israel for a long time, but without success. At the start of the 21st century several rabbis claimed (including the chief Sephardi rabbi of Israel, Shlomo Amar) that the great alienation which this situation creates does not serve the religious interest. As part of the coalition agreement for Ariel Sharon's second government, the Shinui party demanded that a legal solution be found for those who could not get married within Israel. A committee which was formed to find a solution for this problem came up with the "coupling arrangement" solution (ברית הזוגיות). This committee, which was led by Israeli parliament members Roni Bar-On, Yuri Stern, Nisan Slomianski and Roni Brizon, and represented parties from the wide political religious spectrum, from the Shinui party to the Mafdal party, eventually submitted a bill by which there would be a separate status recognised for people who came in the pact of duality which would not be considered as "marriage" but will be similar to the marriage institution as much as possible. The bill never reached further legislation procedures.
In July 2007, Israel's Justice Minister, Daniel Friedmann, and the chief rabbi of Israel Shlomo Amar reached an agreement on a limited bill for civil marriages in Israel, which would only apply to the marriage of Israelis who do not belong to any recognized religious community. This agreement has to date only been discussed in the media, and has not yet been presented in legislative form.[16]"

Why should Israeli citizens have to leave the country to get married if they don't want to be married in a religious ceremony?

Your a chicken shit! Haven't seen your vote ya bigot!
I haven't voted either. The question is too vague. There isn't even a don't know or other option. RGS rigged the poll to reflect what he wants it to reflect.

Shocker, huh?

Ambigious!

Are you saying you believe in a one state solution in which the Jews are ruled by Palestinians? Or do you mean a 2 state solution?
A democratic single state without an ethnocentric government. A pipe dream at this point, of course, so I'll settle for two states.

If you are referring to Israel today, they are are ignorant of their current government. Yes they call themselves the Jewish State, but they are ruled by secular laws and secular courts. All citizens of Israel have the same rights and the government has a separation of Church and State.
Not exactly. Israel gives a hefty bunch of benefits to veterans of the IDF (Jews) that aren't extended to those who don't serve (Arab Muslims.)

Visit Israel Kalam you will be pleasantly surprised that its nothing that your mosque protrays it as being.
Israel isn't discussed in any of the local mosques I've been too. I did recently talk to a guy who lived there for a few years; he described Gaza as a "concentration camp." I don't have any desire to go there myself at the moment. An Israeli stamp on my passport will prevent me from going to Lebanon, Syria, Qatar, Yemen, Iran, Libya, Kuwait, and Sudan, as well as Saudi Arabia, which may be difficult enough anyway.

I think a Jewish state definitely has a right to exist somewhere, but also that it was a mistake for the Allies in WWII to carve out a slice of the Middle East to put one there.
Now, of course, that's a moot point, so the rest of the world, especially the Palestinians and other Arabs, need to come to grips with the reality.

Lol people seriously, if some of you on this post just admited your only beef is that you feel Arabs are all less then human, and regardless of however many arab civilians are shot or blown up, or have limbs blown off, that you would really careless, as long as it's in the name of the Jewish people.

How many African American are butchering other African Americans right in the US? Why don't you start taking responsibility for your own kind.

How many Africans in African are brutally raping and killing their own people! Rape and genocide is an accepted thing in Africa. Why don't you worry about that! See as a black man you an inferiority complex, so you pick on your "******" aka the Jews!

Why should Israeli citizens have to leave the country to get married if they don't want to be married in a religious ceremony?

My friend, a Catholic American, wants to get married in a Church, but since he was divorce and does not qualify for a religious annulment, no Catholic Priest will marry him. Religious people have crazy rules about marriage. But as I told you all my relatives in Israel are secular non-religious Jews and they have had no problem getting married. I take that back they had problems, but they eventually were able to get married. Israel allows religious council to dictate grounds for them to get married. Muslims have theirs, Druze have theirs and Christians have theirs.

I think a Jewish state definitely has a right to exist somewhere, but also that it was a mistake for the Allies in WWII to carve out a slice of the Middle East to put one there.
Now, of course, that's a moot point, so the rest of the world, especially the Palestinians and other Arabs, need to come to grips with the reality.

Israel was not carved out of the ME by the allies after WWII. The League of Nations Mandate for Palestine instructed the British to help establish a Jewish homeland there back in 1921, but the Brits delayed and delayed and delayed until the Jews finally drove them out. The UN General Assembly, unable to find other member states willing to take responsibility for the protectorate and understanding that war would break out once the British finally left, passed GA 181 after much study and debate in the hope of reaching an accomodation between the Jews and Arabs that would prevent the war.

It is naive to imagine that if the Partition resolution had not been passed the Jews would not have fought to establish their state or that they would not have defeated the Arab armies and successfully established that state. Neither the UN nor the US nor any other country or combination of countries created the state of Israel. Israel was created by the Jews who were living there and it would have taken coordinated overt actions by the rest of the world to have prevented it.

But as I told you all my relatives in Israel are secular non-religious Jews and they have had no problem getting married. I take that back they had problems, but they eventually were able to get married.
Why should they have had any problems at all just because they are secular Jews and did not wish to be married in a religious ceremony?

A democratic single state without an ethnocentric government. A pipe dream at this point, of course, so I'll settle for two states.
Bull shit! There are many muslim Knesset (Parliament). Hell even MK that are so fervently anti-semitic and anti-Israel that they are close to treason, but they are elected officials so they remain in government. Hell tiny Israel has more Muslims in their Parliament than the entire Arab, Turkish and Persian world (excluding Lebanon) has Christian, Jews, Hindus and Buddhist combine. There have been 2 Arab Supreme Court! There are countless Arab Mayors in Israel. There have been Muslims Generals. There are Muslims in lower level government positions. Kalam you are truly full of shit!

Not exactly. Israel gives a hefty bunch of benefits to veterans of the IDF (Jews) that aren't extended to those who don't serve (Arab Muslims.)
And why shouldn't they? Druze get that benefit? Why because they serve in the Army. Any Muslim can get it, they just have to serve in the army. Unlike Jews they get a choose of whether or not to put their lives on the line for their country. Many Bedinums do it every year.

You in American, we give benefits to our soldiers, like free college tuition, that we don't give to people that don't serve. So do mostly every country. Yet as a bigoted Muslim you are of course going to just single out Israel.

Israel isn't discussed in any of the local mosques I've been too.
Sure its not! :eusa_liar: Just like the magnificent nineteen aren't discussed either with envy! :eusa_whistle:

I did recently talk to a guy who lived there for a few years; he described Gaza as a "concentration camp."
A product of their own doing. They got what they justifiably wanted, the settlers and soldiers out of Gaza. How did they use this new freedom, as a base of operations to attack Israel. Israel had to defend herself and in the process Gaza justifiably got cut off!

I don't have any desire to go there myself at the moment.
Of course you don't because your a bigot!

An Israeli stamp on my passport will prevent me from going to Lebanon, Syria, Qatar, Yemen, Iran, Libya, Kuwait, and Sudan, as well as Saudi Arabia, which may be difficult enough anyway.
Not to hard to get a new one smokey! Funny how you left off Egypt and Jordan. I guess you don't want to go there because they made peace with those Jewish Pigs and monkeys!

But as I told you all my relatives in Israel are secular non-religious Jews and they have had no problem getting married. I take that back they had problems, but they eventually were able to get married.
Why should they have had any problems at all just because they are secular Jews and did not wish to be married in a religious ceremony?

Religious Jews hold the key to all Jews marrying legally in Israel. Not the courts. I admit its backwards, but that is the law. Its much easier for Muslims, Druze and Christians to marry in Israel than non-religious Jews.

But Israel does have common law marriage!

Bull shit! There are many muslim Knesset (Parliament). Hell even MK that are so fervently anti-semitic and anti-Israel that they are close to treason, but they are elected officials so they remain in government. Hell tiny Israel has more Muslims in their Parliament than the entire Arab, Turkish and Persian world (excluding Lebanon) has Christian, Jews, Hindus and Buddhist combine. There have been 2 Arab Supreme Court! There are countless Arab Mayors in Israel. There have been Muslims Generals. There are Muslims in lower level government positions. Kalam you are truly full of shit!
Frankly, I don't know what you're going on about. I never claimed that there weren't Israeli Arabs in political positions. I said that an egalitarian state in Palestine with no favored religion or ethnicity is unrealistic at this point.

And why shouldn't they? Druze get that benefit? Why because they serve in the Army. Any Muslim can get it, they just have to serve in the army. Unlike Jews they get a choose of whether or not to put their lives on the line for their country. Many Bedinums do it every year.
Why would you want to participate in a military force that has probably killed your friends or members of your family?

You in American, we give benefits to our soldiers, like free college tuition, that we don't give to people that don't serve. So do mostly every country. Yet as a bigoted Muslim you are of course going to just single out Israel.
I believe Israel is the subject of the discussion. Moreover, most developed nations don't seem to have enlistment policies that are based on ethnicity.

Sure its not! :eusa_liar: Just like the magnificent nineteen aren't discussed either with envy! :eusa_whistle:
Uh... no. If I wanted to listen to political ramblings during prayer times, I'd skip the mosque and read posts here.

A product of their own doing. They got what they justifiably wanted, the settlers and soldiers out of Gaza. How did they use this new freedom, as a base of operations to attack Israel. Israel had to defend herself and in the process Gaza justifiably got cut off!
Collective punishment is justifiable?

Of course you don't because your a bigot!
Yeah, that's why I live in a country where about 99% of the population doesn't share my religious beliefs.

Not to hard to get a new one smokey!
I don't consider it worth the trouble.

Funny how you left off Egypt and Jordan.
I was only mentioning states that don't accept passports with Israeli stamps. :eusa_eh:

I guess you don't want to go there because they made peace with those Jewish Pigs and monkeys!
I'm sorry that you feel that way about Jews.

Of course Israel has the right to exist. Everyone has a right to their own self-government.

. Everyone has a right to their own self-government.
Sounds like anarchy to me.

Anarchism gets a bad rap, but it's not necessarily chaos. However, anarchy isn't really what I meant. What I meant was that any people that want a common government have the right to come together and form one. Now in the case of Israel there's more to the debate to be certain, but they certainly do have the right to exist.

. Everyone has a right to their own self-government.
Sounds like anarchy to me.

Anarchism gets a bad rap, but it's not necessarily chaos. However, anarchy isn't really what I meant. What I meant was that any people that want a common government have the right to come together and form one. Now in the case of Israel there's more to the debate to be certain, but they certainly do have the right to exist.
Anarchy is a Utopian ideal.

Forum List

Back