Simple Minded Economic Curiosity...

AVG-JOE

American Mutt
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 23, 2008
Your Imagination
If job creation is the goal why not tax corporations at 15% with payroll as their only deduction?

Is there any reason that The People can’t show their support and encouragement in American businesses by buying and owning stock in American companies?

If providing insurance to Americans is the goal, is it such a bad thing that The People now own AIG?

-Joe

If job creation is the goal

Stop right there...who says that job creation is a goal?

Certainly it's not one of the goals of congress.

Were that a REAL goal, they wouldn't have created the trade policies which encourage and reward corporations to ship jobs offshore.

why not tax corporations at 15% with payroll as their only deduction?

Doesn't make sense. there are plenty of other legitimate tax deductions, because it takes more than just labor to create goods and services.

Is there any reason that The People can’t show their support and encouragement in American businesses by buying and owning stock in American companies?

What is an American company?

If providing insurance to Americans is the goal, is it such a bad thing that The People now own AIG?

Not so long as the American people paid a fair price for AIG, no.

Stop right there...who says that job creation is a goal?

Certainly it's not one of the goals of congress.

Were that a REAL goal, they wouldn't have created the trade policies which encourage and reward corporations to ship jobs offshore.

I am not asking about current reality - I can see what that is... I am asking if it is time that we demand something new from our congress, something that makes common sense.

Doesn't make sense. there are plenty of other legitimate tax deductions, because it takes more than just labor to create goods and services.

It doesn't make sense assuming that we are going to stick with the basic tax code we already have. Why can't we think outside the bureaucratic box we find ourselves in and simplify things? I would much rather a CEO base a hiring decision on the tax impact than whether or not to lease or buy the damned copier.

What is an American company?

You know... that little start-up solar energy company that shows a lot of promise... what better way for The People to take stock in America and encourage some businesses to grow when we need economic engine changes? Not to mention the position our treasury would be in today if We, The People had dropped a few million into Microsoft, Adobe and Google between 1980 and 1995.

If We, The People had owned a 20% stake in Washington Mutual, is it possible that the shareholders meetings may have resulted in more conservative policies from that one? How about Enron? What better way for a capitalist public to influence medium and big business? What more capitalistic way is there for the public to share in the extreme profits of an Exxon / Mobile?

Not so long as the American people paid a fair price for AIG, no.

I am asking if we should keep it and use the profit potential to help offset insurance costs for everyone. Basically, is a nationalized choice in the insurance industry an evil thing? How about banking? Is a true national credit union inherently bad?

-Joe

Forum List

Back