SILVER STAR: G. Powers

Americans quickly forget their heroes? Do we? And your evidence for that would be?

I agree...Americans always remember their heroes (the Kardashian retards, that Beiber kid, Snoopy Doggy style, and of course the always heroic Britney Spears). Go out and take a survey of how many people know who Audie Murphy is (or any other MoH awardee) and compare that to any celebrity and see who they remember.

Americans quickly forget their heroes? Do we? And your evidence for that would be?

I agree...Americans always remember their heroes (the Kardashian retards, that Beiber kid, Snoopy Doggy style, and of course the always heroic Britney Spears). Go out and take a survey of how many people know who Audie Murphy is (or any other MoH awardee) and compare that to any celebrity and see who they remember.

Yes, Audie Murphy even got to star in movies, but still would not be remembered. Henry 'Lighthorse' Lee would be confused with his son, Robert E., and Bradley's first name would be given as Milton.

Robert H. Jenkins, Jr. was trapped with 11 other Americans as the Vietcong, with rifle fire, hand grenades, and air support tried to kill them. A grenade tossed near him landed. Without hesitation, he threw his buddy, closet to the grenade on the ground, and lay on top of him, to shield him, from the blast . The other men darted for safety; given time by Jenkins' actions. His buddy, and the other men survived. He died soon after from his wounds, the explosion of the grenade so close to the Americans, and perhaps the blood, must have led the Vietcong to believe they had killed several, the fire eased up.

He died at age 21.
Today there is a small park in Interlachen Florida, and a middle school, named for him. His family received the Medal of Honor at the White House. Jenkins was drafted.

Robert Henry Jenkins, Jr (1948 - 1969) - Find A Grave Memorial

Rest in Peace Marine

You can't make this stuff up folks. Lee Harvey Oswald worked in the radar system affiliated with the U-2 spy planes and defected to Russia in 1959. Powers was shot down in a U-2 spy plane in 1960. Oswald returned to the US in 1962 with his new bride who was the daughter of a KGB agent and was interviewed by the FBI for a couple of hours and sent on his way.

You can't make this stuff up folks. Lee Harvey Oswald worked in the radar system affiliated with the U-2 spy planes and defected to Russia in 1959. Powers was shot down in a U-2 spy plane in 1960. Oswald returned to the US in 1962 with his new bride who was the daughter of a KGB agent and was interviewed by the FBI for a couple of hours and sent on his way.

I don't know why that matters. Several moron twoofers have assured us all that Kennedy's driver (or Kenendy's driver) killed Kennedy (or Kenendy).

Personally, of course, I maintain it was the Orbs!

I am happy that the OP got posted. It is a good thing to recall brave men like these.

If anyone vilified Powers, they were as low as a snake's belly. I do wonder why Jenkins' sacrifice is not more widely known; I do not blame it on his race, but the story is inspiring. A brave,brave American, gone too soon. The men whose lives he saved remember, that is certain. They worked to get the tiny park in Putnam county, Florida built.

Without using Google tell us the names of all the men in the last 60 years that were awarded medals for bravery. Your premise is retarded to say the least.

I bet you can not even name all the men from Viet Nam that got the medal of Honor, but you berate us cause we don't know one you do know. How many men have gotten the Silver Star in the last 30 years? You berate us because we don't start a bunch of threads on one.

No mention here of Powers being awarded the Silver Star(.)

So that automatically means we've 'forgotten'? How odd. I read about it... I'm not really sure how starting a thread about it means you're better than your fellow Americans. It's not adding up to me.

I found it strange there were no posts about such a well known American. I saw several stories elsewhere. I do not expect anyone posting here to know about Jenkins, except for one poster, or previous poster, who I believe is from Jax. Jenkins has not been honored, to speak of, outside Putnam, and a few surrounding counties. VP Agnew gave his family the Medal of Honor at the White House in 1969.

You'll have to forgive Peach, CG.

She's pathological.

You see, there is someone whose picture hangs on my wall, only a phone call away (called me today, in fact) and is completely and totally anonymous.

You'll never know his name or what he did.
You'll never know which unit he was with or even which theater he was engaged.

Thing is he has the distinction of being awarded the Navy Cross

That doesn't mean that he has been forgotten or neglected in any way.
:eusa_hand:

I am happy that the OP got posted. It is a good thing to recall brave men like these.

If anyone vilified Powers, they were as low as a snake's belly. I do wonder why Jenkins' sacrifice is not more widely known; I do not blame it on his race, but the story is inspiring. A brave,brave American, gone too soon. The men whose lives he saved remember, that is certain. They worked to get the tiny park in Putnam county, Florida built.

Without using Google tell us the names of all the men in the last 60 years that were awarded medals for bravery. Your premise is retarded to say the least.

I bet you can not even name all the men from Viet Nam that got the medal of Honor, but you berate us cause we don't know one you do know. How many men have gotten the Silver Star in the last 30 years? You berate us because we don't start a bunch of threads on one.

I know I don't know all the men who fought and got those medals. I don't know all the guys who fought and died.

I don't know lots of guys who fought and lived without injury.

I just feel very grateful for all of them: the men and the women who wore the uniform with honor.

I don't know why that matters. Several moron twoofers have assured us all that Kennedy's driver (or Kenendy's driver) killed Kennedy (or Kenendy).

It matters freaking big time and it is an indication of the intentional dumbing down of Americans during the Cronkite years when the liberal media was the only information source.

It matters freaking big time and it is an indication of the intentional dumbing down of Americans during the Cronkite years when the liberal media was the only information source.

I'm sure the Peach will diligently keep us informed of everything that Fox forgets. It makes me rest easier.

I'm not getting why everybody is jumping on Peach. Newbie. :rolleyes:

I think she's raising a valid point. I'm not a veteran, but I do a lot of active work on memorials for American veterans and assistance for them. I think no American veteran should ever die and be forgotten.

I think she's raising a valid point. I'm not a veteran, but I do a lot of active work on memorials for American veterans and assistance for them. I think no American veteran should ever die and be forgotten.

It is not a valid point. One can remember Veterans and heroes without knowing their names. She claims that since she knows ONE Medal of Honor winners name she is better then everyone else. She claims cause we don't know his name we have forgotten his sacrifice.

I repeat, can she or you name every military person that got the Silver star in the last 52 years? can you remember the name of every person that got the Medal of Honor? I never learned them all. I have read numerous stories on medal of Honor winners but I don't remember their names. Doesn't mean I have forgotten their sacrifice. Doesn't mean in general the Country has forgotten either.

But if she is upset some HAVE forgotten she should be upset with Liberals as a group they show continuous contempt for the military as a GROUP. Hell under Clinton there was a move by his staffers to have military personnel at the White House not be allowed to wear their Uniforms.

Sure you do.

And Obama - AKA John Wayne - wouldn't know which end of the chamber the round comes out of, killed Osama Bin Laden

Sure you do.

And Obama - AKA John Wayne - wouldn't know which end of the chamber the round comes out of, killed Osama Bin Laden

You might be right about Obama, but I've done a lot of work over the years on cemetery cleanups and restorations of graves and grave markers, spent countless hours cleaning and setting grave markers and flagging veterans' graves on Memorial Day and Veterans Day, helped raise money and manpower to build monuments for veterans, collected clothing and personal items to donate to the VA for homeless vets, etc. Without giving away too much personal info, I'm a published military historian and a frequent guest speaker to veterans and historical organizations, and for memorial ceremonies.

I've put my money where my mouth is more times than I can count.

Sure you do.

You might be right about Obama, but I've done a lot of work over the years on cemetery cleanups and restorations of graves and grave markers, spent countless hours cleaning and setting grave markers and flagging veterans' graves on Memorial Day and Veterans Day, helped raise money and manpower to build monuments for veterans, collected clothing and personal items to donate to the VA for homeless vets, etc. Without giving away too much personal info, I'm a published military historian and a frequent guest speaker to veterans and historical organizations, and for memorial ceremonies.

One would assume a writer would know how to read for content. Yet you see no problem with Peach attacking everyone while she has the exact same problem. Unless she comes on here and recited from memory every silver star and Medal of Honor winner since 1962 that is.

Sure you do.

One would assume a writer would know how to read for content. Yet you see no problem with Peach attacking everyone while she has the exact same problem. Unless she comes on here and recited from memory every silver star and Medal of Honor winner since 1962 that is.

Oh, I don't agree with attacking anyone over it. I do think it's a good idea to be able to name the veterans. As long as you do, they're not forgotten. One thing that I often do in public events is ask everyone to name a relative or ancestor who served in the military. I can name relatives and ancestors who have served in every American conflict all the way back to my great-great-great-great grandfather who served in the Virginia Militia during the American Revolution.

Forum List

Back