Silly question

Powerman

Jul 23, 2005
Sometimes if you ask a stupid question you'll get a fairly interesting answer so I'll give this one a try.

What artist or person of importance decided that Jesus had a beard? As far as I know there aren't any passages in the gospel that refer to his beard but almost every depiction of Jesus is him with a beard of some sort. Was it just assumed that he had a beard because everyone at the time had beards or what?

I remember when I was a kid somehow we were in a black Church and Jesus was black. I thought that was pretty funny because I had always had the one image of him. I guess truth is none of us know what Jesus looked like but it might help us to visualize what he might have looked like.

I believe Jesus was a religous leader of the Jewish faith. I also believe those guys all grew their beards, look at orthodox Jews even today.

LuvRPgrl said:
I believe Jesus was a religous leader of the Jewish faith. I also believe those guys all grew their beards, look at orthodox Jews even today.

That's a pretty good theory. Does anyone know why they do that?

powerman said:
Sometimes if you ask a stupid question you'll get a fairly interesting answer so I'll give this one a try.

Even if he had a beard, why would it be worthy of mention in the bible? Some people think he is a she. Beards are very unattractive on females.

Powerman said:

What artist or person of importance decided that Jesus had a beard? As far as I know there aren't any passages in the gospel that refer to his beard but almost every depiction of Jesus is him with a beard of some sort. Was it just assumed that he had a beard because everyone at the time had beards or what?

I remember when I was a kid somehow we were in a black Church and Jesus was black. I thought that was pretty funny because I had always had the one image of him. I guess truth is none of us know what Jesus looked like but it might help us to visualize what he might have looked like.

The artists were probably wrong.

http://www.tbaptist.com/aab/jesuslonghair.htm

GotZoom said:

Now this was an interesting article. My religion teacher in college always spouted on about Jewish men of the time wearing beards, therefore it could be logically assumed that Christ wore a beard. It is fascinating to see that archeological evidence doesn't support that, however anecdotal the archeological evidence may be.

Kevin Smith couln't be wrong.
j2k3-15.jpg

Forum List

Back