Silliness in the Senate

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
The Senate Judiciary Committee approved a bipartisan resolution Thursday making clear that Sen. John McCain is a “natural-born” U.S. citizen under the Constitution.

The resolution aims to put to rest any speculation that McCain, an Arizona Republican and his party’s presumptive presidential nominee, is not qualified to be president because he was born outside the United States. It was approved 18-0.

McCain’s two Democratic rivals, Sens. Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York and Barack Obama of Illinois, are cosponsors of the resolution.

McCain was born Aug. 29, 1936, in the Panama Canal Zone, where his father was serving as a Navy officer. The territory, now part of Panama, was under U.S. control at the time.

The Constitution requires presidents to be “natural born citizens” but does not specify what that means.

http://www.cqpolitics.com/wmspage.cfm?docID=cqmidday-000002710751

I think that is a correct interpretation of the constitutional provision.

It was a decent thing for Obama and Clinton to do. I can't imagine the bill would have GOP support if Obama had been born in Panama to American parents.

It was a decent thing for Obama and Clinton to do. I can't imagine the bill would have GOP support if Obama had been born in Panama to American parents.

Probably true. But I think the bill wasn't needed.

It was a decent thing for Obama and Clinton to do.

I can't imagine the bill would have GOP support if Obama had been born in Panama to American parents.

Can't imagine, huh? That because you're an ignorant hack....

New Topics

Forum List

Back