Silent majority fed up with Washington

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
There isn't a whole lot I need to add to this. I think it sums up the situation quite well.

The debate is dominated by the political extremes. Those on the far right would rather have the federal government default on its financial obligations than give ground on what is anathema to most conservatives: raising taxes. Those on the far left would rather risk default than give ground on what is anathema to most liberals: reducing entitlements.

Caught between these two extremes are those Americans who want their leaders to set aside ideology and do what's best for the country. This is America's silent majority. These are the Americans who watch ESPN and HGTV at night instead of MSNBC and Fox. They vote in most elections, although they've been known to miss a primary or two. If they contribute to a campaign, it's usually to a local candidate or a friend who's running for the school board.

They supported the Democrats in 2008 and the Republicans in 2010. They're sympathetic to the tea party, but only to a point. More than anything, what turns them off about politics is the pettiness and partisanship coming out of Washington.

Silent majority fed up with Washington - CNN.com

Something about your siggy gives my computer fits.

Aside from that, I'm glad the repubs are putting their foot down. Fuck this shit. Compromise with insanity is what got us to where we are.

"The debate is dominated by the political extremes. Those on the far right would rather have the federal government default on its financial obligations than give ground on what is anathema to most conservatives: raising taxes. Those on the far left would rather risk default than give ground on what is anathema to most liberals: reducing entitlements."

The problem with this statement is.... The "far right" :rolleyes: knows that there is PLENTY of revenues to not default on our financial obligations. The only way that will happen is if Obama chooses to do so.

And the silent majority is not staying silent any longer.
I know more folks who, a very short time ago, NEVER talked politics, but they are engaged now.

The Repubix had better not cave in.... they hold all the cards!

The coming election in 2012 should be a referendum over the direction this country should move in. A tax and spend big gov't with a strong social contract or a tax less, spend less smaller gov't with fewer social responsibilities. It'll probably be more of a referendum over Obama's record, which maybe it should be at least in part. But we shouldn't overlook the big picture.

Personally, I favor a much smaller federal gov't with far fewer functions to perform and a corresponding reduction in spending and taxes. I think most if not all of the social issues should be managed at the state and local level. Health care, housing, pensions, unemployment insurance, education, all these things do not belong at the federal level. Each state can and should decide for themselves what needs to be done and how to pay for it. If a citizen doesn't like it, they can leave for another state asap.

Anyone willing to set aside their philosophy, worldview, and ideology never really believed in anything to begin with. Until we remove the "grey" from society and realize the only battle that actually matters is RIGHT vs WRONG, we're doomed to continue this cycle.

Forum List

Back