Silencing Dissent the Environmentalists' Way

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Adam's Apple, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    Silencing Dissent
    By Walter E. Williams
    August 8, 2007

Global warming has become a big-ticket item in the eyes of its supporters. At stake are research funds, jobs and the ability to control lives all over the globe. Most climatologists agree that over the last century, the Earth's average temperature has risen about one degree Celsius.

The controversy centers around the source of the temperature change -- man-made or natural causes. Global warming alarmists hold the view that it's man-made emissions of CO2 that's driving climate change, and they seek to suppress any dissent suggesting other causes.

According to the July 16 Washington Times, Michael T. Eckhart, president of the American Council on Renewable Energy (ACORE), sent a threatening missive to Marlo Lewis, senior fellow at the Washington, D.C.-based Competitive Enterprise Institute, which read: "Take this warning from me, Marlo. It is my intention to destroy your career as a liar. If you produce one more editorial against climate change, I will launch a campaign against your professional integrity. I will call you a liar and charlatan to the Harvard community of which you and I are members. I will call you out as a man who has been bought by Corporate America. Go ahead, guy. Take me on."

For full article:
    http://www.townhall.com/columnists/WilliamEWilliams/2007/08/08/silencing_dissent

2. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,995
    That is exactly how they oppose anyone. They never address the science, it is always attacking the person.

3. Larkinn

Larkinn Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Any evidence that Marlo Lewis isn't a liar, a charlatan, and one who has been bought by Corporate America?

So in response, you oh so unbiased man, decide to do what...do you attack his argument and say how Marlo Lewis is not a fraud, charlatan, and global warming is incorrect? No, you attack "them" and their tactics, not their message. You sir are hilarious.

4. Adam's Apple

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    Any clear-cut evidence that the global warming crowd aren't a bunch of liars, charlatans, and anti-corporate Americans? Just because they cry that the sky is falling does not make it so. There is substantial evidence to the contrary, as you no doubt know.

5. Angel Heart

Angel Heart Conservative Hippie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +341
    All while using corporate products. They all have cell phones, computers, cars, clothing, food, etc etc....

6. MysticPhD

MysticPhD Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Apparently I am not allowed to post url's until I have more than 15 posts. But here is an excerpt that might help answer your question:

7. Adam's Apple

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    Thanks for your input. The intention of my post was to look at how global warming advocates respond/react to those who challenge their case, not whether global warming is fact or fiction.

8. ReillyT

ReillyT Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +164
    It is kind of hard to separate one from the other. If it is a widely accepted scientific fact with a sound scientific basis, then the dissenters may well look to the establishment as being willfully deceitful, in which case the reaction makes sense.

9. Larkinn

Larkinn Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Yes, actually, quite a bit. However that has nothing to do with the original statement.

Thats nice. Whether the substantial evidence is true or false has nothing to do with Marlo Lewis as an individual.

Food is a corporate product?

10. Adam's Apple

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    Your viewpoint, not mine. The environmentalists have not presented an open-and-shut case. The verdict is still outstanding. No definitive answer has been arrived at that I am aware of. Regarding the point made by Williams' article, threatening your opponents with personal destruction is no way to make believers out of them.