Silenced on the Day of Silence

Moi, if you'll reread my earlier posts I specifically said I did not believe he should've been suspended for wearing the shirt. What I did question was the wisdom of putting the Biblical passages he did on the shirt, and yes I do believe this kid is a bigot or has at least been raised to be a homophobe.

acludem

Originally posted by acludem
Moi, if you'll reread my earlier posts I specifically said I did not believe he should've been suspended for wearing the shirt. What I did question was the wisdom of putting the Biblical passages he did on the shirt, and yes I do believe this kid is a bigot or has at least been raised to be a homophobe.

acludem

yep just like anyone who expresses opinion dealing with race is a racist. Way to blanket judge people.

Originally posted by insein
yep just like anyone who expresses opinion dealing with race is a racist. Way to blanket judge people.

I'll tell you this, anyone who thinks that blacks are an inferior race IS a racist.
Let's be clear on that fact.

There are more differences within races than between the different races, arguments otherwise are not based in reason or biology.

I didn't use a "blanket statement". When someone wears a shirt stating that they believe all gay people are sinners and are going to hell, and when they then say they believe exactly what the shirt says, I think it's safe to say that person is a homophobe. If someone wears a shirt that says "I hate (insert whatever race you want)" I would probably be safe to assume that person is a racist.

acludem

Originally posted by nycflasher
I'll tell you this, anyone who thinks that blacks are an inferior race IS a racist.

There are more differences within races than between the different races, arguments otherwise are not based in reason or biology.

I wasnt refering to blacks being an inferior race. Im talking about when liberals call conservatives racists when they want to reform programs like welfare and such. When people express opinions on Affirmative Action and are called racist when they dont feel its right.

People throw words like racist and homophobe around too much.

Lets review:
rac·ism
n.
The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.

ho·mo·pho·bi·a ( P ) Pronunciation Key (hm-fb-)
n.
Fear of or contempt for lesbians and gay men.
Behavior based on such a feeling.

People that express any opinion that opposes these Hot topics are branded these terms. The boy has quotes from the Bible. They are religious beliefs. He has the freedom to express his religion without persecution. People that express opinions about Affirmative action and other topics involving race are doing just that, expressing opinions not taking part in a general contempt for these groups. Nor are they acting superior. They are simply stating their opinions that happen to oppose another persons.

Too many people are quick to label. Racist, Homophobe, Liberal, Conservative, etc. How about you listen or read what the person is saying or trying to portray before you throw out a harmful accusation. Thats a generalized offer not directed at anyone in particular.

I think the kid should be applauded for his actions - although he should have gotten a few of his friends to wear matching shirts. The school administrators are the ones who are in the wrong, however. If they are going to allow pro-gay rights students to disrupt class to state their views, they should allow anti-gay rights students to state their views - and this kid was doing it on a t-shirt!

As far as the claims of bigotry... I fail to see how standing up for one's religious beliefs is bigotry. The Bible clearly teaches that homosexuality is wrong. Should we ignore that now, because today's pop culture proclaims it to be OK? I don't think so - and neither do millions of Christians, not to mention millions of non-religious Americans who see homosexuality as wrong for their own reasons. What is really intolerant is to disallow opposing views to be heard - and that is exactly what is happening when people call others 'bigots' or 'homophobes' because they believe that homosexuality is morally wrong.

I'd have to say that this boy should have been allowed to wear this shirt on that particular day. In high school, I wore a shirt with a message on it that would undoubtedly cause controversy. I was allowed to wear the shirt that day, but asked/told not to wear it again. No suspension, etc. that was a bit ago, before all the cya regulations that schools started to implement.

Do you think whites are inferior at playing basketball, generally. Are you a racist, therefore? If blacks aren't better at basketball then the NBA is just a racist organization that obviously seeks black over whites for no logical reason.

I didn't use a "blanket statement". When someone wears a shirt stating that they believe all gay people are sinners and are going to hell, and when they then say they believe exactly what the shirt says, I think it's safe to say that person is a homophobe. If someone wears a shirt that says "I hate (insert whatever race you want)" I would probably be safe to assume that person is a racist.

acludem

If you wear a shirt PROMOTING homosexuality, would that make you a Christophobe?

Originally posted by rtwngAvngr
Do you think whites are inferior at playing basketball, generally. Are you a racist, therefore? If blacks aren't better at basketball then the NBA is just a racist organization that obviously seeks black over whites for no logical reason.

Oh, brother. What's your point? I'm 6'5" and can do a 360 dunk, so perhaps you're talking to the wrong person!

However, just to humor you, I will agree that blacks are gifted athletes. I don't really extrapolate anything else from that fact. White Men Can't Jump was a pretty funny movie, but clearly some can ;)

If you wanto to argue about basketball, bring it, it's one of my favorite sports/hobbies. Have you ever seen Andre Kirilenko play? He's "whiter than white" and one of the best and most athletic players in the NBA. It is not uncommon for him to score 20 points, block 5 shots, get 5 steals, grab 10 rebounds and get a handful of assists. Peja Stojakovic? Ever heard of him? 2nd highest scorer in the NBA, as well as the best free throw and 3-pt. shooter. Jason Kidd? One of the best point guards to ever play the game!

There's some facts for you. Run with your theories on racial inferiority...

1. Religion is the means through which we understand that which is transcendant-unseen, untouched, yet accepted as real and eternal nonetheless. Secular humanists have subtracted God from this equation, and thus find transcendance in a social and political agenda. And while they preach pretty-sounding words about tolerance, they are the most rabidly intolerant people on earth. When they say no religion in the public arena, they mean no religion but theirs.

2. Homophobia is a made-up word. Any honest attempt to make sense out of combining the prefix "homo" and the word "phobia" would yield a bizarre definition like, "neurotic, irrational fear of human beings." In other words, it's meaningless-that's why it's not really a word.

The fact that it is found in dictionaries and has made it's way into our everyday language is a prime indication of the power and scope the religion known as secular humanism possesses.

acludem
While I think it's a show of intelligence that you agree the boy should not have been suspended, your labeling of others is as prejudiced, intolerance and bigoted as you claim they are.

I don't think there's a reader on this board who doesn't understand the hypocrisy of that.

I have trouble grasping the concept that verses from the bible are offensive, but honoring homosexuals is acceptable. Times certainly do change - not necessarily for the better.

In this age of political correctness and "newspeak", some of our language has changed in some rather bizarre ways. We couch distasteful acts in euphemistic terms which allows us to deal with them or makes the act seem less objectionable. "Put the dog to sleep" is an example. When will the dog wake up? People use that phrase because it is easier than saying "it's time to have poor old Spot killed". Sometimes euphemisms help us deal with doing a correct, but unpleasant thing. Other times euphemisms are merely camouflage used to hide the truth.

For example, homosexuals have appropriated the word "gay" as a euphemism to describe themselves. Gay used to mean "happy and carefree". Now it means something entirely different. Let's call it like it is. Since this thread started on a discussion of definitions and since some here view the bible with contempt, let's look at Webster for our frame of reference. Webster defines "perversion" as "a perverting or being perverted::a deviation from usual behavior esp. from normal sexual behavior".

Homosexuals are not "gay". By definition, homosexuality is a perversion ergo those who engage in homosexual conduct are perverts.

So let's not call a spade a diamond. It's not "gay" rights, the proper term is homosexual rights. Or, if you prefer to get really basic, it's "pervert" rights. But that wouldn't sound too good on the six o'clock news, would it.

I have no intention of going on an anti-homosexual crusade, but I tire of Christianity being villified and Christian rights being eroded in deference to "gay" rights. Somehow, libs have managed to turn the equation upside down. Christians are bad, homosexuals are good. Christians who demand to express their views in public should be exorcised. Homosexuals who want to prance down main street with the ass cut out of their jeans should be celebrated.

Makes sense to me.

Man you are full of shit.
Homosexuality is by definition: sexual orientation to persons of the same sex. It is not, by definition, a perversion. Nice try.
You may not be on a anti-homosexual crusade, but you still misrepresent homosexuality.
Go on and rail away against libs, that too proves nothing and is just empty rhetoric.
Christians and homosexuals are equals. Both are people. One is a religion one is a sexual persuasion.
You make little sense.

Homosexuality is by definition: sexual orientation to persons of the same sex. It is not, by definition, a perversion. Nice try.
You may not be on a anti-homosexual crusade, but you still misrepresent homosexuality.
Go on and rail away against libs, that too proves nothing and is just empty rhetoric.
Christians and homosexuals are equals. Both are people. One is a religion one is a sexual persuasion.
You make little sense.

But you didn't address the discrepancy of how one group is to be celebrated and the other is to be driven from public view.

You make little sense.

You put words in his mouth.

He was dead on, and you refuse to accept moral standards.

Relational ethics and morals cannot govern a society properly. -Neither are they God's law. This, along with his point about how society became corrupt over time is his point.

Just because you don't like it doesn't make your view true.

"Man you are full of shit. "

Thank you for that rational and insightful observation.

I will address you this one last time. I have read your posts and find them to be ill-considered pablum spewed by a cynical, immature secularist who is apparently incapable of any degree of rational or objective thought. I have no regard for you and no respect for your "opinions".

Some others on this board may enjoy bantering with you, but I will not engage in childish pissing contests with you or anyone else.

So post anything you like, but don't waste your time and effort to elicit a response from me in the future, because it will not be successful.

Originally posted by NewGuy
You put words in his mouth.

He was dead on, and you refuse to accept moral standards.

Relational ethics and morals cannot govern a society properly. -Neither are they God's law. This, along with his point about how society became corrupt over time is his point.

Just because you don't like it doesn't make your view true.

1. I didn't put words in his mouth, try backing up your rash statements for once.

2. I don't think your logic is much better than his, so as an "interpreter" of what he said, your are not helping.

3. All you have given me is opinions an usnsupported facts.

Suspension is a punishment.
Like a detention.
Same thing would happen if a could wore a shirt to school that said "Hitler was right!"

Academia frowns upon this sort of sentiment in the academic setting.

But yeah, teaching him why it's wrong would make sense.

Comparing Hitler to a day of silence for homosexuals?

"Comparing Hitler to a day of silence for homosexuals?"

No. I believe he was comparing the wearing of biblical verse on a tee shirt to Hitler.

I also believe he favored "teaching him why that was wrong" in reference to the wearing of that tee shirt.

I can certainly see why the wearing of a tee shirt with biblical verse is oppressive. I guess it might damage the self esteem of some. We can't have that.

Forum List

Back