Signs of ageing halted in the lab

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
Signs of ageing halted in the lab
BBC ^ | November 2, 2011 | James Gallagher
BBC News - Signs of ageing halted in the lab
The onset of wrinkles, muscle wasting and cataracts has been delayed and even eliminated in mice, say researchers in the US.

It was done by "flushing out" retired cells that had stopped dividing. They accumulate naturally with age.

The scientists believe their findings could eventually "really have an impact" in the care of the elderly.

Experts said the results were "fascinating", but should be taken with a bit of caution.

The study, published in Nature, focused on what are known as "senescent cells". They stop dividing into new cells and have an important role in preventing tumours from progressing.

These cells are cleared out by the immune system, but their numbers build up with time. The researchers estimated that around 10% of cells are senescent in very old people.

(Excerpt) Read more at bbc.co.uk ...

Heres to hoping in another 30-40 years that we will have the ability to not only stop aging, but reverse it. Maybe, I will live to see 2100.:eek:

That's fascinating, Matthew. I've been reading about anticarcinogenic as well as cardiac properties of nuts, in particular, Brazil nuts lately. It could be the substances of diet that are already with us could, in the correct amounts, earn us better health in old age.

Some are already benefitting by nutrients concentrated to benefit older people suffering from pain and autoimmune issues. My fibromyalgia pain is being put on hold by the product at my link. It also helps those suffering from some types of arthritis and neuritis. Just sayin'. :)

If we live to see 2030, we might live as long as we wish to, God Willing, and look like whatever age we want to also.

The movie 'In Time' plays with this scenario quite a bit and did some good work with it.

One of the problems with an indefinate life span is that we live in an already crowded world. I remember a science fiction story from the fifties where there was 'coming out' party for an individual that had lived to 90 years old. At the end of the party, he shipped out to the colonies being developed in the asteroids. You see, the Earth is the cradle of mankind, but we all have to leave the cradle at some point.

Another problem would be the need for retraining. Perhaps, instead of retiring on Social Security, we would use that fund for retraining after 20 years in industry. Retraining in our trade or profession, or even training in a new trade or profession. After 50 years in industry, primarily as a millwright, were I to continue in this trade, I would need retraining. Far too much that I don't understand in the high end hydraulics and automation. I imagine that it is the same for all trades and professions. The technology simply evolves too fast to both keep up with it and also hold a job.

Signs of aging halted in the lab
BBC ^ | November 2, 2011 | James Gallagher
BBC News - Signs of aging halted in the lab
The onset of wrinkles, muscle wasting and cataracts has been delayed and even eliminated in mice, say researchers in the US.

It was done by "flushing out" retired cells that had stopped dividing. They accumulate naturally with age.

The scientists believe their findings could eventually "really have an impact" in the care of the elderly.

Experts said the results were "fascinating", but should be taken with a bit of caution.

The study, published in Nature, focused on what are known as "senescent cells". They stop dividing into new cells and have an important role in preventing tumours from progressing.

These cells are cleared out by the immune system, but their numbers build up with time. The researchers estimated that around 10% of cells are senescent in very old people.

(Excerpt) Read more at bbc.co.uk ...

Here's to hoping in another 30-40 years that we will have the ability to not only stop aging, but reverse it. Maybe, I will live to see 2100.:eek:

Reminds me of the sci-fi movie In Time where folks stop aging at 25 but are only guaranteed one more year thereafter, and those seeking immortality do so by buying time. Amazing what folks would do to prevent nature. (A good action movie, though I do not think it holds well as sci-fi.)

Last edited:
One of the problems with an indefinate life span is that we live in an already crowded world. I remember a science fiction story from the fifties where there was 'coming out' party for an individual that had lived to 90 years old. At the end of the party, he shipped out to the colonies being developed in the asteroids. You see, the Earth is the cradle of mankind, but we all have to leave the cradle at some point.

This is a very good article on the general topic:
Would Immortality Become An Overpopulation Nightmare? | Psychology Today

In computer simulations, Gavrilov concluded that "population changes are surprisingly slow in their response to a dramatic life extension. For example, we applied the cohort-component method of population projections to 2005 Swedish population for several scenarios of life extension and a fertility schedule observed in 2005. Even for very long 50-year projection horizon, with the most radical life extension scenario (assuming no aging at all after age 50), the total population increases by 35 percent only (from 9.1 to 13.3 million)."

Paradoxically, the population might even decline "if some members of the society reject to use new anti-aging technologies for some religious or any other reasons (inconvenience, non-compliance, fear of side effects, costs, etc.)."

Immortal parents, if they had only one child per couple, would double the population over time. The population would not grow infinitely.

"In other words, a population of immortal reproducing organisms can grow indefinitely in time, but not necessarily indefinitely in size, because asymptotic growth is possible," Gavrilov said in an interview with Rejuvenation Research (Volume 12, Number 5, 2009).

"The startling conclusion is that fears of overpopulation based on lay common sense and uneducated intuition are, in fact, grossly exaggerated."

Longevity Should NOT Be Viewed as a Threat towards Overpopulation

Population growth isn’t something that should be feared with or without super-longevity. Foremost, longevity research is mainly improvement in medical advancement. It is as simply as this: if ever you would have a child enduring pneumonia, would you refuse the cure him or her because of overpopulation. Longevity is much about health care; it is what has brought life expectancy up during these recent years.

Death isn’t the Right Solution for Overpopulation

Amidst many super-longevity researchers, population growth is properly advocated. However, in no way has death been regarded as a solution to cure overpopulation. It is definitely a precarious way to address population growth. Moreover, if this perspective was taken seriously, government would reduce access to medical treatment; assuring a high death rate to control population. It is radically illogical. ..

It is visible that as countries are becoming more developed and able to accommodate aging, overpopulation is no longer a threat. Life extension research can in a best scenario, become a cheap solution making it a global possibility. This would alter the whole world and make overpopulation a forgotten threat in the eyes of longevity researchers.

Evenwith indefinite lifespans, we will all evgentually die from accidents and other circumstances. True immmortality is not possible.

Another problem would be the need for retraining. Perhaps, instead of retiring on Social Security, we would use that fund for retraining after 20 years in industry. Retraining in our trade or profession, or even training in a new trade or profession. After 50 years in industry, primarily as a millwright, were I to continue in this trade, I would need retraining. Far too much that I don't understand in the high end hydraulics and automation. I imagine that it is the same for all trades and professions. The technology simply evolves too fast to both keep up with it and also hold a job.

I think that eventually people will want to accumulate enough savings/investments that they can live the lifestyle they want in their older years, and they will be entirely capable of working as long as they want to within the next couple of decades.

Social Security could be saved simply by making it more plausible for people to not need or want it at retirement age because they want to keep working till they have enough to live the lifestyle they want from their investments and savings.

I am not sure I would want to live past 90 or so frankly.

Even if, while being 90 as measured by calendar year, you looked and felt like you were 20?

Why?

Immortality would ruin Social Security!

Life insurance companies would go bankrupt.

The Tea Party would not have hardly any members.

Cats would start having puppies!

But on the up side think of all the taxes you would pay :beer:

Even if, while being 90 as measured by calendar year, you looked and felt like you were 20?

Why?

Immortality would ruin Social Security!

Life insurance companies would go bankrupt.

Actually that is not necesarily true at all. Check out the links I gave above.

The Tea Party would not have hardly any members.

Hmm, I think TP members tend to be older than the typical OWSer.

Cats would start having puppies!

They dont...oh,yeah, that's right, lol.

But on the up side think of all the taxes you would pay :beer:

Paying taxes is an up side?

Hmm, I sense a different vocabulary is being used here.

Why?

there comes a time where in one has seen and lived enough, mankind was not made to last. I firmly believe there is such a thing as playing with cosmic fire, we are on the cusp and I don't mean the aging process per se', eugenics, dna coding/cloning, etc etc...

there is a natural order of things, it doesn't like being fucked with either, and when it hits back, it hits back hard and in ways unimaginable. time will tell.

Why?

there comes a time where in one has seen and lived enough, mankind was not made to last.

Says who? God made man to last nearly a millenia, according to the Old Testament, so where do yo get this?

I firmly believe there is such a thing as playing with cosmic fire, we are on the cusp and I don't mean the aging process per se', eugenics, dna coding/cloning, etc etc...

Some people have been having been making that complaint from the first time man made fire to Malthus to the recent days of the Unabomber.

And we are still here; go figure.

there is a natural order of things, it doesn't like being fucked with either, and when it hits back, it hits back hard and in ways unimaginable. time will tell.

Dude, if that is your choice for yourself, you have every right to do what you want with your life and refuse medical treatment when the time comes.

Just dont try to make that decision for me. I will remain on this Earth till God calls me home, and not one moment sooner. If this technology extends our lives then it is Gods Will or it would not have happened.

You might want to keep your options open though; you might change your mind later.

Forum List

Back