"Signs and Wonders"....

I've had many chances to see speaking in tongues up close and personal. An uncle would visit us, and pray with us, and while he was praying, he would start speaking in a "language" I'd never heard before. I put language in quotes, because truth to tell, it sounded like no language I'd ever heard. It was more like gibberish. His face would turn all reddish, and he would look ecstatic afterwards. I mean really over-the-top ecstatic.

I really cannot say whether this was a gift of the Spirit, or something much more temporal, but I can say that it seemed weird and unsettling to me, and I always felt like getting further away from him when he got into it. I also never could understand how a man so filled with the Spirit could leave his faithful wife and three kids to marry a third time, and move 2,000 miles away so they could fend for themselves.

I am not saying that these types of gifts are phony; I just don't know. But it seems to me the fruits of the sprirt in Ephesians are much more telling signs that someone is Spirit-filled. :confused:

Abbey Normal said:
I really cannot say whether this was a gift of the Spirit, or something much more temporal, but I can say that it seemed weird and unsettling to me, and I always felt like getting further away from him when he got into it. I also never could understand how a man so filled with the Spirit could leave his faithful wife and three kids to marry a third time, and move 2,000 miles away so they could fend for themselves.

side-note:
To be fair, lots of things could have been going on; only the pretence of 'faithfullness'. These days, society doesn't seem to hold people to ANY of the 'other' wedding vows...those promising to 'love, honour, and cherrish'; thus, even though one spouse may not have had sex outside the marriage (which violates 'forsaking all others'), they may have not been faithful in the OTHER 5? 10? vows.

Still..very sad to see a marriage go bottom-up...I hope (but doubt) mine lasts.

-=d=- said:
side-note:
To be fair, lots of things could have been going on; only the pretence of 'faithfullness'. These days, society doesn't seem to hold people to ANY of the 'other' wedding vows...those promising to 'love, honour, and cherrish'; thus, even though one spouse may not have had sex outside the marriage (which violates 'forsaking all others'), they may have not been faithful in the OTHER 5? 10? vows.

Still..very sad to see a marriage go bottom-up...I hope (but doubt) mine lasts.

True, d, true. She was clearly in love with him, but we never know what goes on behind closed doors. Regardless, he should have visited his children. They grew up without seeing him or having his support.

I'll leave it at that. I dont want to hijack the thread with a marriage discussion.

Abbey Normal said:
True, d, true. She was clearly in love with him, but we never know what goes on behind closed doors. Regardless, he should have visited his children. They grew up without seeing him or having his support.

I'll leave it at that. I dont want to hijack the thread with a marriage discussion.

Indeed...I'd be helpless w/o my kids. :(

:-/

:beer:

One who is filled with the Spirit, will not create a spirit of confusion or fear among others.

"Being filled with the Spirit" is very bantered about in Charismatic and Pentacostal circles. It is totally misused.

You were most likely just hearing gibberish. If your Uncle was truly filled with the Spirit, he would not have done this act in front of you, but would have done it in private, between he and his Maker.

Gifts are not signs of Christian maturity. There just gifts, and remember that many Christians are duped into thinking they have tongues, when in fact its just an emotional outpouring.

Many Charismatic churches encourage and even have classes on how to obtain the "tongues" gift. They will encourage their members to just open their mouths and make any sound that comes to them. Gifts aren't primed like gasoline engines. Either you received it, and it stands the test of scripture, or its phony. This is all so unbiblical, and must grieve God immensely.

Eightball said:
One who is filled with the Spirit, will not create a spirit of confusion or fear among others.

"Being filled with the Spirit" is very bantered about in Charismatic and Pentacostal circles. It is totally misused.

You were most likely just hearing gibberish. If your Uncle was truly filled with the Spirit, he would not have done this act in front of you, but would have done it in private, between he and his Maker.

Gifts are not signs of Christian maturity. There just gifts, and remember that many Christians are duped into thinking they have tongues, when in fact its just an emotional outpouring.

Many Charismatic churches encourage and even have classes on how to obtain the "tongues" gift. They will encourage their members to just open their mouths and make any sound that comes to them. Gifts aren't primed like gasoline engines. Either you received it, and it stands the test of scripture, or its phony. This is all so unbiblical, and must grieve God immensely.

A local pastor has effectively fixed the problem of outbursts...he said "we have a microphone up here beside me...if ANYONE is feeling lead by the spirit to share with us, be that tongues AND interpretation, or otherwise, feel free to approach the podium and share with us..."

Prevents a LOT of 'bs' ppl can do from the safety of their chair I suppose, while keeping the door open to the distinct possibility of the occurance.

In response to Eightball's post, I'm fully aware of the discretion required with tongues. Many people at my church openly pray in tongue without interpretation, but in many Sunday school classes, this is shown as being in bad form. If there's no interpretation, then what you say is supposed to be between you and God. Praying in tongues is only supposed to be done outside the presence of people who don't believe in it. It is also taught that this is supposed to be a lesser gift. It cannot help others and only helps your own personal relationship with God. Evangelical gifts, such as discernment and healing, are held in higher regard among the more mature members of the church. Those who can speak in tongues are also highly disouraged from doing so while praying with those from another denomination, as it may offend them and drive them away, a much greater wrong than whatever right is accomplished by praying in tongues.

-Cp said:
I think "praying in tongues" is a load of:

:poop: :bsflag:

Now, I get onto powerman, gabby, and nucular for this all the time. If you think that way, fine, but can we please have a little civility? You're talking about some of my dearly held religious beliefs here, and if I can't get agreement, I'd at least like a little respect.

Hobbit said:
Now, I get onto powerman, gabby, and nucular for this all the time. If you think that way, fine, but can we please have a little civility? You're talking about some of my dearly held religious beliefs here, and if I can't get agreement, I'd at least like a little respect.

Just expressing an opinion from someone who used to be blinded by the Pentacostal belief system.... (Assembly of God upbringing)...

How is it "uncivil" to call something unbiblical?

-Cp said:
Just expressing an opinion from someone who used to be blinded by the Pentacostal belief system.... (Assembly of God upbringing)...

be a f'ing man, duane. Just apologize and agree to disagree. I know you can do that...can't you?

Don't try to justify yourself/comments; realize you just may be hurting a brother-in-christ, and be humble for two seconds.

-Cp said:

Whether it's biblical is the subject of debate. That, I wouldn't be offended by. It's the 'BS' comment that I'm not too fond of.

Also, I'm not 'blinded' by Pentecostalism. My campus pastor encouraged me to critically assess my beliefs and convince myself that I really did believe what I thought I did. I did some research, checked my Bible, and talked with people. In the end, I found that, in my opinion, my beliefs were mostly sound as they stood, so I stuck with most of them, though I changed them a little in accordance with a few minor points I didn't really believe.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
-=d=- said:
be a f'ing man, duane. Just apologize and agree to disagree. I know you can do that...can't you?

Don't try to justify yourself/comments; realize you just may be hurting a brother-in-christ, and be humble for two seconds.

This has nothing to do w/ justification, being a man or anything of the sorts..

If someone thinks what I believe is B.S. - why would I take personal offense to that? It's not like I wrote the Bible....

-Cp said:
This has nothing to do w/ justification, being a man or anything of the sorts..

If someone thinks what I believe is B.S. - why would I take personal offense to that? It's not like I wrote the Bible....

because you don't 'get' people. (shrug). If I can't explain it like I have, you'll NEVER get it.

or 'won't...' because I think it's a choice.

Forum List

Back