Sidney, NY: GOP - Let's Desecrate Muslim Graves

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by rdean, Sep 27, 2010.

1. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,037
    Leaders of Sidney, tiny upstate town, demand Muslims dig up bodies at cemetery on land they own

Town supervisor Bob McCarthy raised objections to their cemetery right around the time protests erupted in downtown Manhattan over plans to build an Islamic Center near Ground Zero, Hass said.

"I don't think it's a coincidence," he told The Daily News.

McCarthy, a Republican, said his objections have nothing to do with whether or not they are Muslim. "People just can't go bury a body in a field," he told The News.

Confronted with a December 2005 letter to the group from the town's code enforcement officer stating that "a cemetery at this location would be an allowed use," McCarthy said, "I'm not a lawyer."

Leaders of Sidney, tiny upstate town, demand Muslims dig up bodies at cemetery on land they own

-------------------------------------------------

This cemetery incident is just the latest in the "summer of hate" that reached its zenith with the shrill cries against the Park 51 Muslim community center in Manhattan. A center built by liberal Muslims to promote an Islam of peace and brotherhood became re-imagined in the delusional eyes of bigots as a "victory mosque" built by Muslim extremists in honor of Al-Qaeda.

What is fascinating and telling about both incidents is that those who have been targeted by the fear mongers are Sufi Muslims, mystics who celebrate God as the spirit of Love. The Sufis are the polar opposites of Al-Qaeda and its band of murderers, promoting a progressive Islam that embraces other religions warmly and seeks human reconciliation rather than conflict. Muslim fundamentalists have been attacking Sufis for centuries, as their brand of progressive Islam outshines the ugly corruption of religion that the fundamentalists want to promote. And now the Muslim fundamentalists' war against Sufism has been joined by fanatics of other religions and communities.

Kamran Pasha: Digging Up Muslim Graves

------------------------------------------

Political Parties in the US can't keep targeting minorities. It only damages the party doing the targeting.

2. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,037
    I thought Republicans would be proud of this.

3. Charles_Main

Charles_Main AR15 Owner

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,251
    You thought wrong.

4. bhuntftl

bhuntftl Bill

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is NOT a matter of disrespect or even mild disregard toward Muslims. I know Bob Mccarthy to be a decent man who's only concern is the town coffers. His concern has nothing to do with religion. His concern is that where a cemetery exists, if the originators run out of money, the town can and often is held responsible for upkeep on the cemetery. It seems like a really romantic notion to bury grandma on the "back forty" of the family farm. Sadly, twenty, thirty or fifty years later the town can be held responsible for the upkeep because there is no formal cemetery organization that is perpetuated to continue the upkeep.

As for the commune, well, Delaware County has a long history of communal groups coming up from the city with grand plans and expectations, then folding up and going broke. Who will pay for the cemetery when this one folds its tent and goes home? The answer is that the residents of Sidney will. Bob McCarthy is just looking out for the fiscal interests of his town. To assign the title of bigot or religously intolerant to a man you know nothing about is just plain wrong. I happen to know the man.... the only thing he is intolerant about is money being drawn from the public trust.

As for the information regarding an existing permit, there is no such permit issued. What this commune has is a letter from a code enforcement officer saying that there is nothing in the zoning ordinance to prohibit a cemetery. They went the first step toward creating a cemetery and stopped. They never applied to the Town Board of Sidney for a permit to operate a cemetery.

Frankly, as far as I am concerend, we ought to let the burials take place, even if the Town ultimately gets stuck with the bill, and no doubt it will, the cost is likely to be minimal. McCarthy, though, feels otherwise... he guards every cent of public money jealously. Then again, that is probably why the good people of Sidney elected him Town Supervisor.

5. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,037
    It could be as you say, but every article I could find say the Muslims were 'maintaining" a cemetary on land they boutght.

Confronted with a December 2005 letter to the group from the town's code enforcement officer stating that "a cemetery at this location would be an allowed use," McCarthy said, "I'm not a lawyer."

6. del

del BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,885
    link to eeg?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,016
    Provide evidence they have the RIGHT to even have a cemetery there. Or shut up.

8. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    That's a lie. You don't think.

9. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    I smell bullshit, bhuntftl. Funny how I have never seen you on USMB before tonight and that you know this McCarthy man so well.

The burials were legal. People can with their own property as they like, unless the town has a zoning ordinance in place to prevent it. The time for this McCarthy dude to raise objections was before the burials, not after.

This was a vile expression of ignorant bigotry, and I am ashamed it happened in New York.

10. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    Jesus H. Christ RGS, you know better than this. A man has the right to do whatever he likes with his land, unless a constitutional law or zoning ordinance prohibits it.