Siding and new windows

Big Black Dog

Platinum Member
May 20, 2009
OK. I could use a little advice from folks that have had this experience. I live in a large two story farm house out in the middle of the country. I am getting ready to have siding and new windows put on the house. Never been involved with this before. I don't have a clue as to what I should expect in this process. Right now, I am only at the beginning stage and will start having five different companies come out and give me a quote for the job. This process will take me through next week when all the written estimates should be in hand. As I said, I live in a large two story wooden farm house that at the present time needs to be painted. Most likely I will have them put some additional insulation outside before the siding goes up. I will need 25 windows. What's a rough estimate as to what this project should cost me? Anything in specific I should be on guard of? Would appreciate any recommendations from folks that have had this experience. :confused:

OK. I could use a little advice from folks that have had this experience. I live in a large two story farm house out in the middle of the country. I am getting ready to have siding and new windows put on the house. Never been involved with this before. I don't have a clue as to what I should expect in this process. Right now, I am only at the beginning stage and will start having five different companies come out and give me a quote for the job. This process will take me through next week when all the written estimates should be in hand. As I said, I live in a large two story wooden farm house that at the present time needs to be painted. Most likely I will have them put some additional insulation outside before the siding goes up. I will need 25 windows. What's a rough estimate as to what this project should cost me? Anything in specific I should be on guard of? Would appreciate any recommendations from folks that have had this experience. :confused:

If you're having 5 people bid the job, you can nix the lowest, and the highest bid right off the bat.

9 times out of 10 the low bidder is just trying to lowball everyone else out of a job, and will undercut things that *could* be critical down the road.

The high bidder usually charges you for the higher end materials while actually purchasing mid-grade, or lower grade materials.

Take the remaining 3 and go through them with a fine tooth comb. Look for any differences that would indicate a better deal, or more attention to detail. Run all three through the BBB, ask for a list of previous customers, and contact 3 from each company. Are they satisfied? Was the work completed in a timely manner? What was their overall attitude? How were any problems handled? Did they leave behind messes every day, or make an attempt to keep their items contained and out of the way? What kind of warranty is there?

Lastly, take the one that you seem to like the best, and go with it. If you do your homework, your gut reaction usually isn't wrong.

If you're having 5 people bid the job, you can nix the lowest, and the highest bid right off the bat.

9 times out of 10 the low bidder is just trying to lowball everyone else out of a job, and will undercut things that *could* be critical down the road.

The high bidder usually charges you for the higher end materials while actually purchasing mid-grade, or lower grade materials.

Take the remaining 3 and go through them with a fine tooth comb. Look for any differences that would indicate a better deal, or more attention to detail. Run all three through the BBB, ask for a list of previous customers, and contact 3 from each company. Are they satisfied? Was the work completed in a timely manner? What was their overall attitude? How were any problems handled? Did they leave behind messes every day, or make an attempt to keep their items contained and out of the way? What kind of warranty is there?

Lastly, take the one that you seem to like the best, and go with it. If you do your homework, your gut reaction usually isn't wrong.

Your whole post is full of great advice; I particularly like the bolded bit. Spot on.

BBD - I haven't been through this process but our windows are 10 years old builder's grade crap and we will be looking into this at some point, so I'm curious to see advice given here too. We did replace our patio door and went with a Pella and have zero regrets. We never had a (sliding) patio door that didn't ice up on the inside during the winter. Who knew? The Pella is aces. The guy who installed it (from Lowe's) advice on windows was not to go with Pella because he thought you could get just as good a window with a lesser brand name. Ok, that's all I have . . . . not much. :)

I haven't been through it either, but I used to manage the offices of a local overhead crane company about 18 years ago. For some reason, I still retain an awful lot of that knowledge...:redface:

hubby says there is a lot to it..taking out windows and replacing them before it rains..trim on outside and inside....dont use someone who hasnt done it before...someone who has never done is and is out of work my underbid it big time then not be able to do it...buy the best quality windows you can afford ....see if they have people or subs they prefer....you may pay more in the short run but it beats having poorly installed windows...rough rule of thumb the labor should be about equal to the cost of the materials..try to avoid letting the contractor buy the windows..that cost plus shit adds up...and do not under any circumstances change contractors in the middle of the job...then you have no one to fall back on...the first one wont come back period..the 2nd one will blame it all on the first one...ask for references and go look at them and talk to the current owner....i assure you they will tell you the good...the bad and the ugly... hubby says ask for references from clients who had similar work done..

hubby says you mostly likely have a window on a weight and the weight pocket needs to be filled in or you need to put in wider windows...it is an excellent time to add insulations...celleloste (sp) can be blown in from the outside then covered with siding....says to do that...thats about it...windows most likely the older ones will be tall and need to be replaced with dble hung windows....

anymore questions and hubby will help you...you may want to see the tread on his installing board under dishwasher....lol....so kitten couldnt get under there....well the dishwasher door wouldnt open either....he didnt bother to try it before he left to go to wv....

o there is more....windows and siding on a new house can be 6 to 10% the cost of the new house....so if you are looking at a house that cost 300k to replace you should not be afraid of spending 30 k on the outside...depends on cost preplacement could be as much as 10% of that...

okay hes gone...i would learn to do the windows myself....and the spray shit aint hard you just trim it down to where you need it to me...and you need a special saw for siding...get out there and be a man and do it yourself...hubby says be a man and be an idiot lol....hire it out to someone who knows how to do it right ....

ask local home inspectors....

As far as cost goes, it depends

How big are your windows? Do you have to order them or can they be bought off the rack, so to speak, at your local Home Depot or Lowe's?

Expect to pay $150-$200 per window. i suggest you install them yourself. It's a lot easier than you think.

look at your current windows. Are they the old type with weights and pulleys? If so it takes a little more time but if not, it's a cinch.

[youtube]wt5w2Aoel0k[/youtube]

As far as siding goes, you need to know the area being sided to get an estimate. Siding is priced out by "squares". A is 100 square feet or a 10 foot by 10 foot section.

how-to-install-vinyl-siding for beginners and do it yourselfers

design of trim...you got a lot more to do than just get estimates.....do you want miter cuts or butted trim etc..what kinda trim...i like hardwoods...what kinda patio doors....women always want french doors....but you need to keep with the style of the house too

Federal Tax Credits for Energy Efficiency includes:
Tax Credits for Consumers

Tax credits are available at 30% of the cost, up to $1,500, in 2009 & 2010 (for existing homes only) for:
Windows and Doors
Insulation
Roofs (Metal and Asphalt)
HVAC
Water Heaters (non-solar)
Biomass Stoves

Federal Tax Credits for Energy Efficiency : ENERGY STAR

New siding can be considered improved insulation.

Last edited:
hubby says there is a lot to it..taking out windows and replacing them before it rains..trim on outside and inside....dont use someone who hasnt done it before...someone who has never done is and is out of work my underbid it big time then not be able to do it...buy the best quality windows you can afford ....see if they have people or subs they prefer....you may pay more in the short run but it beats having poorly installed windows...rough rule of thumb the labor should be about equal to the cost of the materials..try to avoid letting the contractor buy the windows..that cost plus shit adds up...and do not under any circumstances change contractors in the middle of the job...then you have no one to fall back on...the first one wont come back period..the 2nd one will blame it all on the first one...ask for references and go look at them and talk to the current owner....i assure you they will tell you the good...the bad and the ugly... hubby says ask for references from clients who had similar work done..

hubby says you mostly likely have a window on a weight and the weight pocket needs to be filled in or you need to put in wider windows...it is an excellent time to add insulations...celleloste (sp) can be blown in from the outside then covered with siding....says to do that...thats about it...windows most likely the older ones will be tall and need to be replaced with dble hung windows....

anymore questions and hubby will help you...you may want to see the tread on his installing board under dishwasher....lol....so kitten couldnt get under there....well the dishwasher door wouldnt open either....he didnt bother to try it before he left to go to wv....

o there is more....windows and siding on a new house can be 6 to 10% the cost of the new house....so if you are looking at a house that cost 300k to replace you should not be afraid of spending 30 k on the outside...depends on cost preplacement could be as much as 10% of that...

okay hes gone...i would learn to do the windows myself....and the spray shit aint hard you just trim it down to where you need it to me...and you need a special saw for siding...get out there and be a man and do it yourself...hubby says be a man and be an idiot lol....hire it out to someone who knows how to do it right ....

ask local home inspectors....

Thanks for all the good advice everybody - especially bones. I appreciate all of the input. As far as doing the work myself, I have the mental ability to learn how to do it, and the desire to do it all myself but for health reasons and physical limitations I would be unable to do it. I'm only working with about 24% cardiac injection fracture so I tire out pretty easily and quickly. Being on total disability is a bitch sometimes... especially when there is something that needs to be done and you know you could normally do it but... Actually I have two houses that need this done. Both are beside each other. The north house that my wife and I live in is the larger house. South house is still a two story affair but it's smaller and has less window. Just a guess but I'm thinking I should be able to get both houses sided and new windows in each for under $75,000. Think that's reasonable? Who ever I decide on I think I will insist on a contract. Nothing verbal or implied. Everything gets written down so there will be no misunderstanding during the process. I will also insist that if the bid is accepted, anything over the cost of the bid, the contractor will be responsible for. Don't want to have the job started and then hear, oh, by the way, this is going to cost extra, etc., etc., etc. I want everything laid out on the table right from the start. It's easier for me to make decisions that way. Is this too demanding of me to ask?

i re-sided my house and re-did all the windows and insulated.....

windows can be expensive.....double pane wood clad are the best.....i used marvin double hung true divided lite....

be prepared that when they remove the existing siding it may mess up the interior finish and pop the nails.....so you will get to refinish / repaint all the walls inside....and re trim the interior ....

oh ya...when the sidding is off you may want to look and see if the wall / floor diaphram is bolted to the foundation.....if you are in a high wind or seismic zone.....

Last edited:

windows can be expensive.....double pane wood clad are the best.....i used marvin double hung true divided lite....

be prepared that when they remove the existing siding it may mess up the interior finish and pop the nails.....so you will get to refinish / repaint all the walls inside....and re trim the interior ....

oh ya...when the sidding is off you may want to look and see if the wall / floor diaphram is bolted to the foundation.....if you are in a high wind or seismic zone.....

Thanks for the advice. The two houses are both wooden farm houses with no exsisting siding on them. They were both last painted in 1995. The inside of both houses have just recently been rewired and remodeled. Outside of both houses looks like the city dump. Inside of both houses looks like Better Homes and Garden!!! Time to doll up the outside a bit. There is nothing to tear off the outside of the house except maybe the gutters and downspouts. Plan to put new ones up after the siding goes up. Again, thanks for the info.

Thanks for the advice. The two houses are both wooden farm houses with no exsisting siding on them. They were both last painted in 1995. The inside of both houses have just recently been rewired and remodeled. Outside of both houses looks like the city dump. Inside of both houses looks like Better Homes and Garden!!! Time to doll up the outside a bit. There is nothing to tear off the outside of the house except maybe the gutters and downspouts. Plan to put new ones up after the siding goes up. Again, thanks for the info.

so you are putting new siding over the existing siding?

hmmm hes up north isnt he? he might be able to get away with it....just going over orginial...

okay you have to sub out the work...now here is where you are lucky...construction business is down....mostly remodeling like yours...now you dont wanna be out there getting the spot and steal club...so dont go with the lowest bids etc...they will make it up in stealing...either your stuff or time...
now it might be hard to get a solid estimate from a good contractor...here is what they know.....once you open this shit up....you got to bring anything you open up to code...and put a damn completition date with a penalty..each day they go over....costs x amount...or you will find yourself being put behind the guy who does that ...after they have gotten the bid....now with the competetive nature of the market...i would take bids from pella, etc..t.he high end windows...and make sure the contractor has a license, ask for copies of it and his workman's comp shit....cause if you hire one w/o workman's comp it can come back on you....and have copies of workmans comp papers...plus they need to have oe insurance...that is why a reliable contractor is higher priced...all these little extras that homeowners dont think of...o and if they are late for the first appointment send them down the road...it will not get any better...a good contractor will keep his appointments...if they dont give you any respect at the beginning they wont at the end....and do not pay anything upfront that you do not have to...materials only ..and only at delivery of them..labor costs are paid once...at the end of the job

You may won't to ask your contractor what tools he has. A local siding contractor/friend here has his own break, gutter machine, etc... Since he has his own specialty equipment already paid for and he can make gutters on site his cost are generally very low compared to someone still paying for their equipment or someone who does not have the proper equipment to work with.

Some great advice here for ya, and I'll just add a couple things.

Make sure when comparing quotes that you go through them thoroughly and they are quoting the same work and materials. Watch out for low-ballers that will through "extras" at you, at every turn.

An old farmhouse(or any old home), I would strongly advise you to have them wrap the house in Tyvek(or something similar) before you put on the new siding. It's a little pricey but well worth it, imo, if done correctly.

Good luck!!

Thanks everybody for the great advice - even Al Gunn who was showing us how big of a smart ass he is... All of the advice was useful even the praying to Jesus for guidance, Al. I appreciate your time and the use of your experience.

Forum List

Back