Side Effect of Stimulus Package or Recession or Both?

:lol: :lol:

I hear you about them targeting these kids but . . . . ultimately the responsibility falls upon whoever is accepting the credit card. Maybe they should keep them from sending applications to college kids, I don't know. But sooner or later these kids will be faced with credit card offers and no one is going to be riding in on a horse to save their indebted butts.

I know many colleges teach 'Personal Finance' classes, as do some high schools. I always thought that teaching college seniors this stuff was best because they will retain the information and use it sooner. I think I was wrong. Having this as part of high school and college curriculum (not an an elective but as part of the gen ed required stuff) is paramount to getting these kids/young adults to understand that it's not a game and screwing your credit up has serious consequences.

As for parents riding to the rescue -- if it were my kid, I'd pay the bill off to save their credit but I'd make them pay me back, with interest, in order for them to learn the lesson.

I don't disagree about any of the points you raise. And I would do the same thing if my son ran up debt. But I'd also prohibit credit card companies from targeting college kids. If they don't have a job, they shouldn't be getting credit offers. That's my own opinion on the subject.

I seem to recall, not too long ago, that there was some university that was turning over the names of students to credit card companies. I think that's wholly and totally inappropriate.

They are in business and lent money to people who now cant pay it back. There solution is to make their good customers pay the differance.

Funny you guys think that is just fine.

1. The businesses didn't hold a gun to the borrowers heads and forced them to borrow the money in the first place.

2. The government forced them to lend to everyone, even those who were high risk through regulations (Clintons fault for starting it, Bushs fault for not overturning it).

If you aren't smart enough to first live within your means and go borrowing money in spite of all the government programs to help you avoid that, then fuck you. Those people who borrowed the money knowing they couldn't pay it back caused the whole mess to begin with.

Forum List

Back