Sick, frail struggle most in aftermath of superstorm Sandy

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Some of society's most vulnerable people -- the elderly, the disabled and the chronically ill -- have been pushed to the brink in the powerless, flood-ravaged neighborhoods struggling to recover from Superstorm Sandy.

The storm didn't just knock out electricity and destroy property when it came ashore in places like the Far Rockaway section of Queens. It disrupted the fragile support networks that allowed the neighborhood's frailest residents to get by.

Here, the catastrophe has closed pharmacies, kept home care aids from getting to elderly clients and made getting around in a wheelchair impossible. The city has recorded at least two deaths of older men in darkened buildings.

For some living in the disaster zone, it has all been too much.

When a team of medics and national guardsmen turned up at Sheila Goldberg's apartment tower in Far Rockaway on Friday to check on the well-being of residents, floor by floor, the 75-year-old burst into tears and begged for help caring for her 85-year-old husband.

"This is a blessing. I'm at my wit's end," she sobbed.

Read more: Sick, frail struggle most in aftermath of superstorm Sandy | Fox News

It's a dismal democrat fucking National Disgrace. But they voted for obama anyway. sure is tuff.

and what have the great republican gods done? not a damn thing......mitt could donate money..trump could donate the 5 million.....

We lost. We're not supposed to do anything but sit here and rely on big Government. Romney and Trump will donate in the form of MORE TAXATION to big Government.

i saw the greatest shirts on two motor cycle people yesterday....

"a blood donor saved my life"

damn that is way too big lol i do not know how to resize

i saw the greatest shirts on two motor cycle people yesterday....

"a blood donor saved my life"

damn that is way too big lol i do not know how to resize

You can send em some blood, we'll see if they're inventive enough to turn that into electricity.

Some of society's most vulnerable people -- the elderly, the disabled and the chronically ill -- have been pushed to the brink in the powerless, flood-ravaged neighborhoods struggling to recover from Superstorm Sandy.

The storm didn't just knock out electricity and destroy property when it came ashore in places like the Far Rockaway section of Queens. It disrupted the fragile support networks that allowed the neighborhood's frailest residents to get by.

Here, the catastrophe has closed pharmacies, kept home care aids from getting to elderly clients and made getting around in a wheelchair impossible. The city has recorded at least two deaths of older men in darkened buildings.

When a team of medics and national guardsmen turned up at Sheila Goldberg's apartment tower in Far Rockaway on Friday to check on the well-being of residents, floor by floor, the 75-year-old burst into tears and begged for help caring for her 85-year-old husband.

Read more: Sick, frail struggle most in aftermath of superstorm Sandy | Fox News

Yes they do struggle...let us all help as much as we can.

given the outage i think the utility teams are doing a great job.....it has been under 2 weeks...i realize that is no comfort to those in the hard hit areas but it will take time to fix all the problems and get all the electric restored...i dont think the people of this region had any clue what was going to happen....

Sick, frail struggle most in aftermath of superstorm Sandy

That is crazy talk. It's always the strong and willfull morons that suffer the most. The ones that go surfing in hurricanes.

Aren't the weak, elderly, isabled; etc, the takers and the leeches we hear so much about? Now the right uses them as "poster-childs" to bash the very government they condemn for helping the weak, elderly, disables; etc, them too much!
Amazing.
My wife and I donated to the Red Cross over week ago.

Where's the media???

The media went along with bullshit claims Bush flooded the black projects on purpose and left them there to die.

Obamination is hiding in the White House from the Libya scandal while people die in NY, CT and NJ.....not a peep from the media, par for the course.

Remember when everyone on the right here was saying that the people who didnt get out should have been left to die because they refused to get out?

these are those people you hated a couple of weeks ago

Donate to who? The Red Cross has already taken the money and passed out cookies and hot chocolate, one cup of chocolate and two cookies.

obama went golfing. Then he's going to Burma.

Democrats can't imagine what they created so they are blaming republicans.

Where's the media???

The media went along with bullshit claims Bush flooded the black projects on purpose and left them there to die.

Obamination is hiding in the White House from the Libya scandal while people die in NY, CT and NJ.....not a peep from the media, par for the course.

Uh, no they didn't.

Forum List

Back