Shutting of the air and opening the windows in your car does not save gas.

Charles_Main

AR15 Owner
Jun 23, 2008
Michigan, USA
In todays highly aerodynamic Cars, shutting of the Air conditioning and opening the windows will actually use more Gas than keeping the windows shut and running the Air.

In older cars, that were less aerodynamic, and had Air conditioners that used a lot more power the opposite was the case, but with todays cars when you open the windows at speed you create massive drag on otherwise highly aerodynamic vehicles and actually use more gas.

It pays to know these things.

Last edited:
I tested this theory this week. I drove to south bend using air with the windows up and averaged 37 MPG in my Saturn.

Then when I drove home I kept the Air off and opened both front windows, and I averaged 33 MPG.

Seems like a no brainer to me.

Last edited:
In todays highly aerodynamic Cars, shutting of the Air conditioning and opening the windows will actually use more Gas than keeping the windows shut and running the Air.

In older cars, that were less aerodynamic, and had Air conditioners that used a lot more power the opposite was the case, but with todays cars when you open the windows at speed you create massive drag on otherwise highly aerodynamic vehicles and actually uses more gas.

For those of us who drive not-so-aerodynamic 4 cylinder trucks with a sliding rear window, running the A/C is still worse. Maybe if I was at the indy oval and someone to draft off of. :D

For those of us who drive not-so-aerodynamic 4 cylinder trucks with a sliding rear window, running the A/C is still worse. Maybe if I was at the indy oval and someone to draft off of. :D

That is true, if your car is not aerodynamic You may use more by running the air, but then would point out, if your truck is newer, the air conditioning does not use nearly as much gas as older models.

I suggest you try what I did. Next time you make a trip, do it both ways and test the millage you get. Then you will know for sure.

I will say that when I am driving truck(semi) over the road. The truck seems to get about 7MPG with or with out the air on. As long as I keep it at about 58 to 60 MPG and use the techniques taught to me by my employer to save fuel.

I have a better idea. Keep the windows up and don't run the air conditioning.

1. Wear a bathing suit (and a change of clothing if necessary)
2. Bring along an ice chest full of ice.

If you get too hot, put your face in the chest. Drink the ice water and put your hands in it.
Basically find other ways to keep cool.

That is true, if your car is not aerodynamic You may use more by running the air, but then would point out, if your truck is newer, the air conditioning does not use nearly as much gas as older models.

I suggest you try what I did. Next time you make a trip, do it both ways and test the millage you get. Then you will know for sure.

I will say that when I am driving truck(semi) over the road. The truck seems to get about 7MPG with or with out the air on. As long as I keep it at about 58 to 60 MPG and use the techniques taught to me by my employer to save fuel.

I have tried it. It's certainly a point that will work on certain vehicles but I somehow I don't think that put every model vehicle in a wind tunnel. Worth trying tho---what the hell.

Cranking the air, and opening the windows while rolling along at freeway speeds wastes even more gas; aerodynamic car or not. :)

Can't argue with that. Wouldn't recommend it but I sure can't argue with it.

Yeah, well..sometimes you just can't help it...especially with the right CD. You just want to share the music. :p

In older cars, that were less aerodynamic, and had Air conditioners that used a lot more power the opposite was the case, but with todays cars when you open the windows at speed you create massive drag on otherwise highly aerodynamic vehicles and actually use more gas.

Depends on the speed that you are going. There has been studies done, while I am sure it doesn't apply to every vehicle though. I believe if you are going under 35 mph it is cheaper to ride with the windows down. If you are going above 35 mph it is cheaper to turn the A/C on and roll your windows up. Generally speaking though I am sure....

Depends on the speed that you are going. There has been studies done, while I am sure it doesn't apply to every vehicle though. I believe if you are going under 35 mph it is cheaper to ride with the windows down. If you are going above 35 mph it is cheaper to turn the A/C on and roll your windows up. Generally speaking though I am sure....

Sounds reasonable to me, at lower speed the wind matter less. But at high speed in a car like Mine when you roll down the windows you can feel the drag buffeting you all over the place.

Forum List

Back