Showers 'may damage your brain'

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
Washington - Traces of manganese found in household water could be sufficient to cause permanent brain damage to those who take a regular shower, according to a report published in the US journal Medical Hypotheses.

John Spangler of the Wake Forest University School of Medicine in North Carolina and his team suggested that breathing in vapour containing manganese salts could be dangerous over the longer term.

"Inhaling manganese, rather than eating or drinking it, is far more efficient at delivering manganese to the brain. The nerve cells involved in smell are a direct pathway for toxins to enter the brain," Spangler wrote.

The team used animal studies aimed at showing how much a person who showered for 10 minutes a day would absorb.

The effects are dependent on the levels of manganese in household water. In the United States, a limit of 0.5 milligrams a litre of water is imposed by the Environmental Protection Agency, while in the European Union, an upper level of just a 10th of that was set only in 1998.

Spangler suggested that even levels below the US upper limit could lead to brain damage.

Ten years of showering in water containing concentrations of manganese around the US limit would expose young people to levels three times higher than that found to leave deposits in rats' brains.

The longer the exposure, the worse the risk.

Manganese poisoning leads to tremors in sufferers - much like Parkinson's disease.

Apart from natural sources in ground water, manganese is sometimes added to petrol. This also finds its way ultimately into drinking water.

http://www.news24.com/News24/Technology/News/0,,2-13-1443_1741000,00.html

I don't think so. We women LOVE our long showers. They are vital to our physical and mental health. :p:

You can use and abuse us in many different ways and we will put up with it. But try to take away our detachable shower heads, and there is going to be SERIOUS gender warfare. :firing:

Gabriella84 said:
I don't think so. We women LOVE our long showers. They are vital to our physical and mental health. :p:

You can use and abuse us in many different ways and we will put up with it. But try to take away our detachable shower heads, and there is going to be SERIOUS gender warfare. :firing:

Hmm.. .we don't have a detachable shower head - what's that have to do w/ anything? ???

Well i guess its a good thing im too tall to have my head under the showerhead too long.

Hmm.. .we don't have a detachable shower head - what's that have to do w/ anything? ???

If you were female, you would understand. :p:

I would suspect that INHALING maganese by using a detachable shower head in the manner that is implied by a certain poster would be damn near impossible...but then (being 100% male) I may be totally wrong here.

sounds like a EPA conspiracy theory to me...whats up with all these studies anyway...one moment beer will kill ya then some beer and wine will increase your lifespan! Then some say cigaretts will give ya cancer while again some say gigaretts will impeade dementia...ie:alsheimers disease........ :teeth:

You inhibited male types have no clue about the wonderful relationships that females can develop with detachable shower heads. You guys are stuck with tube socks and apple pies. We get Valhalla in liquid form.
So get a clue, girls. If you don't use your shower heads, then the terrorists win. :terror:

Gabriella84 said:
You inhibited male types have no clue about the wonderful relationships that females can develop with detachable shower heads. You guys are stuck with tube socks and apple pies. We get Valhalla in liquid form.
So get a clue, girls. If you don't use your shower heads, then the terrorists win. :terror:

did we go from showers to terrorists...all in one breath..ya mean the beheaders shower there victims before they behead them..or that it would be nice to shower before ya lose your head..? :gross2:

Gabriella84 said:
You are so clueless. :rotflmao:

I get your drift now...guys are by females definition... terrorists...so if ya don't wash "Gidget" they will carry on wiithout ya...cute!
:bj2:

Forum List

Back