“show me your papers law”

Discussion in 'Immigration/Illegal Immigration' started by LilOlLady, Apr 6, 2012.

1. LilOlLady

LilOlLady Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +761
    “SHOW ME YOUR PAPERS LAW”

That is what Lawrence O’Donnell call Arizona’s anti-illegal immigration law. What’s wrong with asking those who are stopped on a traffic violation or arrested of a crime or suspected of being in the country illegally for identification. Papers show your status in the country. If they have none there is a high probability that they are in the country illegally and that is a crime punishable with deportation.

“Show me your papers” is not a new law. From the day of my birth my status as an american citizen has been recorded on paper. Recorded by the country and my mother was given papers to go to the county to get a certificate of my birth. My children born in the 60s were given social security numbers. The day I enrolled in kindergarten my mother was require to show my birth certificate. When I went to work I had to show identification. Social Security card and sign a statement of my citizenship. When I cashed a check I had to show identification. When I opened a back account, applied for a loan to buy my first car I had to show identification, etc. When I was stopped running a red light and speeding I had to show a driver’s license, registration and proof of insurance. When I registered to vote and to vote I had to show identification and the list goes on and on were American citizens are required to show their papers. If I have to show my papers, Illegal Aliens should have to show their papers. Those who came to Ellis Island were given papers. Slaves when off the plantation had to carry papers. Farmers are required to have papers for their live stock. Dogs have to have papers. Show me your papers have been around for hundreds of years for Americans, etc but Illegal Aliens are not required to have papers and to show them when they are required to show papers?:evil:

2. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    So ALL people will have to show papers or only those looking hispanic?

3. LilOlLady

LilOlLady Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +761
    Did you read my post?:confused:

4. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    I honestly tried but got lost in the incoherent rambling.

I thought all this was covered, If you are driving or supected of a crime you must produce a DL, etc to a law officer upon request.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  5. C_Clayton_Jones

C_Clayton_Jones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,869
    It’s wrong because there’s no probable cause, police need evidence of a crime before they can arrest or investigate. One is innocent until proven guilty, one is not required to prove his innocence, and it is incumbent upon the state to prove guilt.

All persons in the United States are entitled to due process and “shall [not] be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself…’ Sixth Amendment, US Constitution. The 14th Amendment affords all person due process rights, including those allegedly in the country illegally. (See: Plyler v. Doe (1982))

That one ‘lacks papers,’ or is unable to produce ‘papers’ at a given time is not evidence or proof of guilt. There is no such thing as someone ‘looking illegal.’

‘High probability’ is not evidence, and attempting to compel one to incriminate himself is illegal.

Moreover, 1070 is un-Constitutional as it preempts Federal law and Congress’ authority to address National issues, including immigration.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,879
    Millions of older Americans were born at home with the help of a midwife. They have no birth certificate. It's not required in the constitution. That document Republicans claim to love.

7. Intense

Intense Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,863
    State Laws Require it. My Kids were born at Home, with a Midwife. We were required to report Their Births to the County.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. MikeK

MikeK Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,703
    In the interest of controlling illegal immigration I am strongly in favor of a requirement for every U.S. citizen over age eighteen to possess an addressable biometric identification card. Anyone who employs someone in exchange for a wage should be required by law to make or obtain and retain a photocopy of that card and violations should carry criminal penalties. These cards will carry a photo, fingerprint and/or iris coding and would address a central database via swipe terminal similar to credit card terminals. Portable terminals would be carried by ICE inspectors and regular employers of more than three workers will be required to have one on premises.

The reason ICE cannot at present effectively control employment of illegal immigrants is the ready availability of high-quality fake ID documents. It is common for employers of illegals to refer them to fake ID vendors, because so long as the illegal is in possession of fake ID the employer is covered. The addressable biometric card would eliminate this critical window and when illegals can no longer obtain work the problem will be almost totally eliminated within a few months.

I am aware of no good reason why any American citizen should not be willing to comply with such a requirement, but I invite disagreements.

9. MikeK

MikeK Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,703
    Mainly those seeking employment.

Illegal immigration is a very serious problem and is responsible for a significant percentage of unemployment. Illegal immigrants will work for less than minimum wage and are unable to complain about unlawful working conditions. Foolproof ID will solve the problem once and for all.

10. chikenwing

chikenwing Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,960
    One of ours was born at home,same thing,the county issues a certificate,they don't care where the birth happened.

The feds should help the states improve their fraud control policies ,instead of a national ID,fraud will happen with that as well .Stop it now at the state level.