Shouldn't the GOP be genuinely worried about 2012?

Based on what they have done so far, they seem to not really want it.

That's a good assessment, but it's based purely on trends. The race very well could be close, but there are X factors to be considered. Obama for instance, is a damn good campaigner - even Fox News can admit that.

Oh I think it will be very close. Right now I have it 276-262 Romney over Obama but so much can happen in a year. The economy may start to turn around, we may have to bomb Iran, Solyndra may break wide open, Fast and Furious may break wide open, scandals may be exposed, Obama may find a theme that resonates, the GOP may screw the pooch and nominate someone that is so polarizing that they snatch defeat from the jaws of victory (a'la Sharon Angle or Christine O'Donnell). Hell yeah...a million things could happen. My analysis was simply "where the smart money is as of right now".

Republicans don't need scare tactics, they just have to point to the economy.

Obama's vague Hopey Changey campaign from 2008 can't be repeated.

He has to run on his (horrible) record. Buh-bye.

You are dead on the nose. Obama can't run on his record, "hope and change" aint gonna fly this time...I don't even think he can pull off "I suck but my opponent sucks more". It will have to be "I suck but my opponent is crazy".

You are dead on the nose. Obama can't run on his record, "hope and change" aint gonna fly this time...I don't even think he can pull off "I suck but my opponent sucks more". It will have to be "I suck but my opponent is crazy".

So true. They tend to forget that "It's Bush's fault" won't work this time.

And to answer the question of the OP, I think the GOP should be concerned about this election. The last person in the world (excluding TDM) I want sitting in the Oval Office in 2013 is Barack Obama, but, I fear this "we can't lose" attitude that so many on the right are displaying.

I'm afraid that they can lose. I'm afraid that the GOP is doing its damnedest to snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory.

It's too damned early to claim victory. If I am not mistaken, some of the rightwingers on here were certain McCain would win in 2008... absolutely certain and he lost. And now, the "right" is set to nominate Romney so that it really doesn't matter if Obama wins or not, we get more of the same old shit.

Immie

This is the biggest flaw in republican strategy, they are certain that they will win by just doubling down with the scare tactics, and that the republican nominee is a certain winner. Hubris embodied.

Precisely. He has his fantasy world of blame...and the reality of his record.

Buh-bye indeed.

Or, I suck but my opponent is a perv, or a womanizer, or isn't a real christian. :eusa_whistle:

Notice how obama has stopped all that support for the OWS shitters. If Virginia is his test, by the time next November rolls around, obama won't be able to get elected to a county school board. Of course the OWS crowd will try to shut down republican functions. The last thing they can stand is free speech exercised by someone else.

It will be 1968 all over again.

They will still try. Just yesterday or the day before Nanci Pelosi was on the Daily Show and said that the Democrats had not proposed a budget for so long because the GOP would simply filibuster it and went on about "Republican obstructionism".

My first reaction was fury.

Did she forget that for the first two years of Obama's term the Democrats had super-majorities in both the Senate and the House (which ended only with the election of Scott Brown - R, MA who was elected specifically to STOP Obamacare) and the Republicans didn't have the power to stop a fruit fly at that point. Has she overlooked that since January of this year when the GOP took the House they have passed 17 bills dealing specifically with the economy that Harry Reid won't even bring up for debate in the Senate let alone a vote. And Republicans are the obstructionists?

That was my first reaction.

My second reaction was to remember some words from a very powerful European leader in the late 1930s through the early 1940s who pointed out that 1) when given the choice between believing the truth and a huge lie, the people will believe the lie every time, and 2) it doesn't matter what the truth is. If you tell the story enough it will become the truth.

Pelosi's comments were indicative of my second reaction.

No doubt. They haven't exhibited much intelligence thus far.

In truth, the only viable candidate is Romney, so if he doesn't win the primary, the GOP might as well throw in the towel because the rest of them suck.

Romney is pretty evenly matched with Obama right now in the polls. However, they are tied despite a sluggish economy. That says a lot about Obama. I think he is bound to only gain momentum from here on out. Afterall, the economy is actually improving a smidge. It just needs to remain consistent until 2012 (not very likely).

Sex scandal or no sex scandal, Cain doesn't know what the hell he is doing. His only solution to growing the economy is his 999 plan which would raise takes on 87% of the population. It would hardly be a cure-all.
Not only does he not have any experience in foreign policy, he knows nothing about it. He's demonstrated that several times in the debates.

I'm not sure about Newt's policies. I don't think it matters, though. He isn't going to win the Primary. It will likely be Romney.
Newt has been pulling himself up in the debates.

Politics have gotten tough these days, and the press had made it clear the sole and only qualification they will accept is the ability to scorch the earth in debate.

There is a brutal battle going on in the land, free enterprise v marxism, and those expecting the presidency to be a pampered pal existence are in for a rude awakening. If anyone has the clout and wherewithal to intimidate today's dirty press, it's Newt Gingrich. There might be a 4-year opening for someone who can counter brutalize the asinine press and send their sorry heineys to the corner.

Last edited:
Or, I suck but my opponent is a perv, or a womanizer, or isn't a real christian. :eusa_whistle:

Well what else do they have? They have got to get Cain out of this race. The longer he stays in the less liberals can use "white guilt" and racism to manipulate the vote. David Axelrod is absolutely notorious for using sex scandals to bully opposition out of Obama's way. He did it several times when Obama was running for the Senate and city-council (if I am not mistaken).

I predict that as more comes out on this it will eventually lead back to Axelrod and the Illinois Restaurant Association.

Newt Gingrich is really the best. He's the most intelligent, is the best speaker, is the most expienced and would reduce obama to blithering in debates. He has a lot of personal baggage. It could be that republicans are ready to dismiss personal baggage as trivial in exchange for what is truly the best candidate.

Well what else do they have? They have got to get Cain out of this race. The longer he stays in the less liberals can use "white guilt" and racism to manipulate the vote. David Axelrod is absolutely notorious for using sex scandals to bully opposition out of Obama's way. He did it several times when Obama was running for the Senate and city-council (if I am not mistaken).

I predict that as more comes out on this it will eventually lead back to Axelrod and the Illinois Restaurant Association.

David Axelrod was successful in forcing an obama opponent out of a senate race for propositioning his own wife!

In truth, the only viable candidate is Romney, so if he doesn't win the primary, the GOP might as well throw in the towel because the rest of them suck.

Romney is pretty evenly matched with Obama right now in the polls. However, they are tied despite a sluggish economy. That says a lot about Obama. I think he is bound to only gain momentum from here on out. Afterall, the economy is actually improving a smidge. It just needs to remain consistent until 2012 (not very likely).

Sex scandal or no sex scandal, Cain doesn't know what the hell he is doing. His only solution to growing the economy is his 999 plan which would raise takes on 87% of the population. It would hardly be a cure-all.
Not only does he not have any experience in foreign policy, he knows nothing about it. He's demonstrated that several times in the debates.

I'm not sure about Newt's policies. I don't think it matters, though. He isn't going to win the Primary. It will likely be Romney.
Newt has been pulling himself up in the debates.

Politics have gotten tough these days, and the press had made it clear the sole and only qualification they will accept is the ability to scorch the earth in debate.

There is a brutal battle going on in the land, free enterprise v marxism, and those expecting the presidency to be a pampered pal existence are in for a rude awakening. If anyone has the clout and wherewithal to intimidate today's dirty press, it's Newt Gingrich. There might be a 4-year opening for someone who can counter brutalize the asinine press and send their sorry heineys to the corner.
And it's been absolutely wonderful how ALL the candidates have been firing back at the media...and it's long past due...

They will still try. Just yesterday or the day before Nanci Pelosi was on the Daily Show and said that the Democrats had not proposed a budget for so long because the GOP would simply filibuster it and went on about "Republican obstructionism".

Did she forget that for the first two years of Obama's term the Democrats had super-majorities in both the Senate and the House (which ended only with the election of Scott Brown - R, MA who was elected specifically to STOP Obamacare) and the Republicans didn't have the power to stop a fruit fly at that point. Has she overlooked that since January of this year when the GOP took the House they have passed 17 bills dealing specifically with the economy that Harry Reid won't even bring up for debate in the Senate let alone a vote. And Republicans are the obstructionists?

My second reaction was to remember some words from a very powerful European leader in the late 1930s through the early 1940s who pointed out that 1) when given the choice between believing the truth and a huge lie, the people will believe the lie every time, and 2) it doesn't matter what the truth is. If you tell the story enough it will become the truth.

You are correct. And that is the only thing that worries me; that the left propaganda machine is better than the truth.

Newt Gingrich is really the best. He's the most intelligent, is the best speaker, is the most expienced and would reduce obama to blithering in debates. He has a lot of personal baggage. It could be that republicans are ready to dismiss personal baggage as trivial in exchange for what is truly the best candidate.

Actually much of his so called baggage is Bull shit......

You are correct. And that is the only thing that worries me; that the left propaganda machine is better than the truth.
That might be because the Republicans have been lackluster to the point of being limpwristed in rebuttals. From what I have seen from the Candidates? They have been firing back hard...so don't despair...it's gonna get brutal...and it needs to happen. Fire the shit right back at them and all based in fact.

It isn't true that the incumbent normally has a big lead at this point in the race. At this point in the race -- one year away -- the challenger normally polls about 5-10 points better against the incumbent than he will on election day, because the incumbent hasn't started campaigning yet.

Where you expect the incumbent to have a lead and the race to tighten from is after Labor Day election year, after both nominations have happened. From here, Obama tying Romney is very bad news for Romney.

Actually much of his so called baggage is Bull shit......

I know. The left has been saying it for so long, and so many republicans believe it, it's hardly worth it to tell the truth anymore.

Then too, Gingrich has to explain his appearance with Nancy Pelosi lying about global warming. His spot was before the truth about the warming hoax came out so there is a chance that he could squeeze out of it. He still needs to do that.

Forum List

Back