Should you have to tell your boss you're a pedophile?

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake signed an executive order Monday that requires city employees to inform supervisors if they have been charged with a crime, reported the Investigative Voice, a Baltimore news website.

The move came in response to a report by the city watchdog showing that Dennis J. McLaughlin, an employee of the city's Department of Public Works' Bureau of Water and Wastewater, received $12,700 in sick leave, vacation and holiday pay by the city while serving an eight- month sentence for sexually abusing a minor, the site reported.

When McLaughlin ran out of sick leave, union officials approved 24 extra paid days from the "sick bank" -- a deal that the city's labor commissioner also approved, the site said.

When McLaughlin later returned to work, he was assigned to a sensitive position investigating water leaks in both private residences and schools, the site reported.

The Inspector General's report revealed that registered sex offenders employed by the city are not required to report either convictions or arrests for sex crimes.

The mayor's order will now require employees to report within 24 hours when they are arrested for any crimes excluding minor traffic offenses.

FOXNews.com - Baltimore Cracks Down on City Employees Getting Paid While in Jail

And I'm sure the union is fighting this... Unbelievable.

Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake signed an executive order Monday that requires city employees to inform supervisors if they have been charged with a crime, reported the Investigative Voice, a Baltimore news website.

"Charged" with a crime? That's quite different than being convicted of a crime.

I wonder if this quote is correct. I wonder if the executive order requires employees to report convictions, rather than merely being charged. A charge is nothing more than an accusation which may or may not be sustainable in a court of law. Cases are routinely overfiled by prosecutors, hoping for a quick disposition or compromise jury verdict which will get them what they wanted in the first place.

I would hope the quote is incorrect, and that if they are required to report anything, it is limited to convictions.

No because the paedophile should be dead and unable to speak or do anything and certainly not be working with anyone who has children.

I agree with George, being charged with a crime and being convicted of a crime are two entirely different things.

No because the paedophile should be dead and unable to speak or do anything and certainly not be working with anyone who has children.

I don't know about the "dead" part, but I agree with you that no pedophile should ever be allowed to work with children (I think that's what you meant, right? I mean, what's the problem about a pedophile working with anyone who HAS children, so long as the pedophile isn't anywhere near the CHILD or CHILDREN?)

But child molestation is a charge that is very easy to make and very hard to defend. A child says something his parents pick up on. The police are called in. The child is immediately questioned by a "skilled" child molestation detective, who makes up his/her mind before the actual conversation with the child ever begins, that the suspect is guilty. The rest is totally predictable - and the poor defendant could easily be totally innocent.

No, I think this is PRECISELY "the question" in the scenario presented by the OP.

They shouldn't be allowed to work with anyone with children unless they have informed co workers of their sexual perversions.Would you like to befriend a paedophile and introduce them to your children or discuss your family with a paedophile?Not working with children is a given.Dead is about right.

Maybe a better answer would be.No you shouldn't tell your boss you are a paedophile unless it is true because it wouldn't be funny as a joke.

Need to know means need to know.

Also, usually, there is a requirement that persons convicted of crimes not be around kids anyway. So reporting back to work would be a probation violation.

I don't get why the city would be paying anyone who didn't show up to work without having an excused absence approved by a manager.

Yet another example of a public employee union interfering in proper staff management.

Last edited:
Every job I have gotten in the last few years ran a background check on me, so I think they would find out that way.
And unless he was convicted, he should have gotten his sick leave, something you usually earn through working a certaian amount of time.

I don't get why the city would be paying anyone who didn't show up to work without having an excused absence approved by a manager.

Yet another example of a public employee union interfering in proper staff management.

I don't know why you like to attack city employees all the time.

That's the big question, Since when is jail "sick time"? They may try and get the money back.

Why? Sick time is usually something you earned. If he worked the right amount of hours, he could use it for what he wants.

Last edited:
No Luissa. Vacation time and personal days are "earned" Sick time is for when you are sick. Otherwise it would just be called "Whatever the hell you want time"

No Luissa. Vacation time and personal days are "earned" Sick time is for when you are sick. Otherwise it would just be called "Whatever the hell you want time"

Well I know for a fact my father who works for the city earns his sick time. So how about you show me that in Baltimore you don't earn sick time. My dad can also use his sick time for " whatever the hell he wants".
My father also brings in more business for our city than most private business owners.

You and Bod just love attacking city and state employees, along with unions.

Bank I worked at just lumped it all into a single budget called PTO. You could use it for whatever.

Multnomah County had a policy that sick time was as many days as you needed, but found it was horribly abused, and several corrections officers wound up in the cells over it. Sick was for sick, and vacation was for vacation.

I'd like to see his contract. I've worked for two public unions and in the private sector. Sick time is sick time. After 3 consecutive days, they can ask for a doctor's note. I've got about 100 days right now. Hmmm Maybe I'll take next year off.

Its that entitlement mentality that separates public and private employees. I just count my lucky stars that I've been healthy. If I need it; I have it. If not I will give those days to someone who does.

Chanel hit the nail on the head: it's the entitlement attitude.

This is what is bankrupting the U.S.

Forum List

Back