Should you be honest with your kids about your own drug use?

I never asked my parents and they never offered anything up, but it's hard for me to imagine that they were ever into drugs. My father has the occasional drunk and I don't think my mother ever does. However, if they had and I found out they had lied... that would have destroyed a lot of credibility they have with me. For my part if my kids ever ask me I'll be as honest as I can be without saying anything that will scar them. I only tried a few things a few times and I found that I wasn't really interested in drugs. I preferred to have sex. Now that is a subject I may have trouble being honest about with them.

I'm talking about past use, as most who grew up in the 60's or 70's did. I always figured that I would be honest until I was talking to a friend about this subject a few weeks ago. He figured that he would as well, but then heard Dr. Laura's views on this. A caller called in about it, and she told him in no uncertain terms "absolutely not". What do ya'll think?

how many drugs did you do?:cool:

I say YES to the original topic.

But tell them EVERYTHING about it, focus on the addiction and how much that sucks. I never would have started smoking tobacco if I actually understood addiction and I think that's the biggest anti-drug selling point, but no one ever focus' on it. The addiction, how bad it was worrying about getting that fix, how you were always compelled to spend money on it even when you still had it available. The addiction is the key to keeping kids from starting. All the health concerns are meaningless, and most people are not even threatened by them in spite of their fears of dying. But wasting money and time on something, losing control of your life to it, that's scary, no more choice, no more free will, until you manage to finally kick it, but even then, it's always there. Haunting you, taunting you, calling you. THAT is one thing no living creature could ever want to sacrifice, the freedom of choice, and addiction takes that away.

As for 'pot', well .... kind of stuck on the line there, just tell them to wait until they move out of the house if they still want to experience it for themselves and hope they forget by then.

Forum List

Back