Should you be honest with your kids about your own drug use?

glockmail

VIP Member
Aug 31, 2006
The beautiful Yadkin Valley
I'm talking about past use, as most who grew up in the 60's or 70's did. I always figured that I would be honest until I was talking to a friend about this subject a few weeks ago. He figured that he would as well, but then heard Dr. Laura's views on this. A caller called in about it, and she told him in no uncertain terms "absolutely not". What do ya'll think?

Last edited:
I have two grown children that grew up seeing me smoke weed openly..one smokes weed as a adult.. the other has no interest ,,they would never do chemicals I never had alcohol in my home and they have never seen me drunk,,and neither of them drink alcohol..which pleases me..so one child that is completely drug and alcohol free and one that enjoys a few puffs after work like the old man. is success in my book

I'm talking about past use, as most who grew up in the 60's or 70's did. I always figured that I would be honest until I was talking to a friend about this subject a few weeks ago. He figured that he would as well, but then heard Dr. Laura's views on this. A caller called in about it, and she told him in no uncertain terms "absolutely not". What do ya'll think?
I'm pretty sure they can tell you're stoned all the time without you spelling it out.

• Banned
I have two grown children that grew up seeing me smoke weed openly..one smokes weed as a adult.. the other has no interest ,,they would never do chemicals I never had alcohol in my home and they have never seen me drunk,,and neither of them drink alcohol..which pleases me..so one child that is completely drug and alcohol free and one that enjoys a few puffs after work like the old man. is success in my book

In the age of zero tolerance laws and jail time for first offenders you may want to re-think your definition of success.

Not til they're over 18 years old.... and even then I'm not so sure. I never agree with Dr Laura, but I think she's right on this one.

I was honest with my kids about my past drug use.
The way I saw it was this,
How could I truly give them the benefit of my experiences and knowledge without telling them the truth?

drinking and driving is a criminal act and a far greater concern than smoking a joint at home..as well as fueling the potential for other drunken acts that are both dangerous and criminal...
Nice comparison there,
Drinking and Driving vs Joint at Home.
Why didn't you compare.....
Joint and Driving vs Drinking at Home?

Possession of less than 40 grams of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia are misdemeanors in the state of Washington. ...
If your smoking pot and someone J walks they have to go after the J walker first in Washington! And half the time when you get caught with it they plea out so you don't even get a misdemeanor ANd are you from Washington EOt's?

Last edited:
And as for telling my children, that is hard one. I think if they asked I might tell them about somethings, my problem is I did other things besides marijuana that I wouldn't want them to know about. I might tell them about my DUI and other arrest so they know what can happen when you are stupid enough to drink and drive and if my kids go to parties I sure as hell going to be picking their ass up.

And as for telling my children, that is hard one. I think if they asked I might tell them about somethings, my problem is I did other things besides marijuana that I wouldn't want them to know about. I might tell them about my DUI and other arrest so they know what can happen when you are stupid enough to drink and drive and if my kids go to parties I sure as hell going to be picking their ass up.
So, you would only be partially honest?

Nice comparison there,
Drinking and Driving vs Joint at Home.
Why didn't you compare.....
Joint and Driving vs Drinking at Home?

because he doesn't smoke and drive..but fine smoking a joint and driving is much less dangerous than the risk taking behaviors of drinking and driving
as well i have never known anyone to become violent at home after smoking a joint,,there is no question alcohol cause far more destruction and death than smoking weed.. be it driving or at home

because he doesn't smoke and drive..but fine smoking a joint and driving is much less dangerous than the risk taking behaviors of drinking and driving
as well i have never known anyone to become violent at home after smoking a joint,,there is no question alcohol cause far more destruction and death than smoking weed.. be it driving or at home
Did you know that it is more dangerous to text while driving then drive while stoned. Texting impares you by 95 to 98% while being stoned only does 35%!

No.

I've changed my mind on this. I was never a heavy drug user. I smoked pot a couple dozen times in university and dropped acid once. I do believe in legalization and think that recreational drug use of soft drugs is less dangerous than alcohol.

I used to think I'd tell my son. He's 10. But my wife and I talked about this. Our goal is to keep our son off drugs. The question we asked is what option is most likely to keep him off drugs, telling him or not telling him? By telling him, you are legitimizing behavior you are trying to discourage. So what is the point in telling him? You are undermining your message. If I want to keep him off drugs, I see no upside in telling him.

FYI I drink at home, but usually only 1-3 drinks a night. I have been rip roaring drunk once since he was born, and fortunately, he was long asleep after I got home. My son has never seen me drunk and he never will.

So, you would only be partially honest?
maybe when they got older I would tell them the truth but not when they are in high school. If my kid know about how I dropped acid or shroomed I don't want them thinking it is alright for them to try the same thing and then there is the fact I was coke head during my early twenties and that is something they shouldn't know until they are older. I didn't have some simple recreational problem with drugs and alchohol and I don't want them to end up like me. For one I will never drink around them !

Forum List

Back