Should Women be Held to the Same Standards as Men in the Military?

Should Women be Held to the Same Standards of Men in the Military?

• Total voters
I believe this is the best paragraph and explains what so many are trying to say. This is not about equality but standards which are designed to ensure safety, quality and assure that people can succeed without putting others and themselves in danger.

Finally, what are the Marine Corps standards, particularly physical fitness standards, based on—performance and capability or equality? We abide by numerous discriminators, such as height and weight standards. As multiple Marine Corps Gazette articles have highlighted, Marines who can run first-class physical fitness tests and who have superior MOS proficiency are separated from the Service if they do not meet the Marine Corps’ height and weight standards. Further, tall Marines are restricted from flying specific platforms, and color blind Marines are faced with similar restrictions. We recognize differences in mental capabilities of Marines when we administer the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery and use the results to eliminate/open specific fields. These standards are designed to ensure safety, quality, and the opportunity to be placed in a field in which one can sustain and succeed.

Which once again leads me, as a ground combat-experienced female Marine Corps officer, to ask, what are we trying to accomplish by attempting to fully integrate women into the infantry? For those who dictate policy, changing the current restrictions associated with women in the infantry may not seem significant to the way the Marine Corps operates. I vehemently disagree; this potential change will rock the foundation of our Corps for the worse and will weaken what has been since 1775 the world’s most lethal fighting force

Get Over It! We Are Not All Created Equal | Marine Corps Gazette

Some women are as fully capable as some men as qualified infantry: no doubt about it.

Some women are as fully capable as some men as qualified infantry: no doubt about it.

Certainly. I'm sure there are short people who make great basketball players. But they are few and far between.

Doeis not mean they should not be given the opportunity to prove themselves.

Good for Panetta and the Chief of Staff who approved this change.

If you read that article the female Marine wrote she says she was also fully capable, benching 200 plus pounds attaining better PT scores than her male counterparts. However the toll a mere 7 months in combat put on her body--(which also rendered her sterile) was far worse and happened a lot quicker than her male counterparts. She is correct, everyone is not created equal and there are standards there for a reason. They are neither sexist but put there for safety-- for everyone.

CaféAuLait;6720255 said:

If you read that article the female Marine wrote she says she was also fully capable, benching 200 plus pounds attaining better PT scores than her male counterparts. However the toll a mere 7 months in combat put on her body--(which also rendered her sterile) was far worse and happened a lot quicker than her male counterparts. She is correct, everyone is not created equal and there are standards there for a reason. They are neither sexist but put there for safety-- for everyone.

I agree the rules are there for everybody, but one incident does not invalidate the women combat fighters in the Israeli and Soviet armies. Their performances fully confirm that women can do the job.

CaféAuLait;6720255 said:

I agree the rules are there for everybody, but one incident does not invalidate the women combat fighters in the Israeli and Soviet armies. Their performances fully confirm that women can do the job.

Israel doesent really have a choice due to their population and the Soviet women fighters evolved into mass prostitution.

Rush Limbaugh proposes all-women battalions with ‘synchronized menstrual cycles’

I don't care who you are, that's just funny!

Limbaugh proposes battalions with 'synchronized menstrual cycles' [AUDIO] | The Daily Caller

There is no more dangerous creature on the planet than a woman with PMS

Yet another fallacy. Correction: There is nothing more dangerous than a woman with PMS until you are allowed to shoot them. Then again, a woman on PMS might be a great help to our enemies so they will probably leave them be.

Unfortunately, most White Republicans women. will not join the armed forces, So it will be business as usual.

If white republicans women were the majority, then the scumbags would cease and desist invading every country on the face of mother earth.

CaféAuLait;6720255 said:

Yet, it is not just one. If you read the article in fully she supports her argument with detailed reports, from rates of attrition to changing standard to accommodate women—which is dangerous not only to the women but their battle buddies.

In Israel they are given certain duties, sniper, etc. In Russia it worked the same. Also in one unit they went from 2000 all female unit to 250 in three months due to being killed.

As this NPR article points out what Israel and Russia did in no way compares to what the US is doing:

Around The Globe, Women Already Serve In Combat Units : NPR

And:

"The question will be whether the military can keep its standards in place and make them gender-neutral," Carter says. "If they can, this will be a smashing success. But if the military relaxes them even a little bit, then that could potentially degrade combat readiness."

Around The Globe, Women Already Serve In Combat Units : NPR

It's become common enough at this point for women to end up in combat situations anyway. We may as well allow them the chance to undergo the full training, so that they are better equipped to survive such situations.

With Respect to Combat Jobs, Should Women be Held to the Same Standards as Men in the Military?

Since the topic of military equality has shot into the mainstream I have a few questions. Should Women be Held to the Same Standards as Men in the Military?

Should they be held to the same physical fitness scale? (Both the physical fitness test and the MOS specific test)
Should they be subject to 20 mile ruck marches?
Should they be required to fight males in martial arts training?
Should they be required to carry male soldiers (gear and all) to safety in combat training?
Should they be required to register for selective service?

If so then I say let em try. If not then we are risking lives for a feminist form of political gain.

No. They are women, and men and women have always been treated differently.

Lets add another question to your list - should women be paid the same as men?

With Respect to Combat Jobs, Should Women be Held to the Same Standards as Men in the Military?

Since the topic of military equality has shot into the mainstream I have a few questions. Should Women be Held to the Same Standards as Men in the Military?

Should they be held to the same physical fitness scale? (Both the physical fitness test and the MOS specific test)
Should they be required to carry male soldiers (gear and all) to safety in combat training?

If so then I say let em try. If not then we are risking lives for a feminist form of political gain.

Why should they be treated any different if they want a combat position? Why should they be held to different standards if it will put them at risk or other soldiers.

Men and women are paid the same in the Military. If they are in a Combat Zone they are paid combat pay. If they are a WO4 they are paid the same as their male counterpart WO4.

CaféAuLait;6720707 said:

Why should they be treated any different if they want a combat position? Why should they be held to different standards if it will put them at risk or other soldiers.

Men and women are paid the same in the Military. If they are in a Combat Zone they are paid combat pay. If they are a WO4 they are paid the same as their male counterpart WO4.

I don't believe women should be near the combat zone, so I am the wrong person to ask.

CaféAuLait;6720707 said:

I don't believe women should be near the combat zone, so I am the wrong person to ask.

I happen to agree with you. But if they push for it and that is what they want, do you think they should be held to the exact same standards?

CaféAuLait;6720778 said:
CaféAuLait;6720707 said:

I happen to agree with you. But if they push for it and that is what they want, do you think they should be held to the exact same standards?

Yes - but what happens when they can't deliver?

CaféAuLait;6720707 said:

And why should women not be "near" a combat zone?

We're talking about front line units here....We're talking about infantry roles.....Personally, I don't see it happening, as far front line infranty units are concerned, based solely on the physical limitations, and nature of the beast....And that's not being sexist, it's about dealing with reality.

Forum List

Back