Should Wild Pets Be Banned?

What is the problem?

If someone wants to own a T-Rex let them, just as long as they are able to keep it away from their neighbors using a 50 foot high, 10,000 volt fence.

The truth is that humans have been keeping wild animals for millennium. Royalty used to have menageries that included the big cats, and bear baiting was a common sport in the middle ages. Do you really think dogs and cats decided to move in with us when they say how good we were at farming?

Part of the problem is when these "pet" owners are no longer able to keep and or control their pets. Most will just let them go. This kind of thing is a HUGE problem with "pet" snakes in Florida.

I always wanted a chimp as a pet. He could ride around town in the passenger seat and I could teach him how to flip pedestrians off. It would be like having an even more immature little brother.
While I enjoy watching all other species of monkey, and I kind of like Orangs, I strongly dislike Chimps and I fear them. I believe it's a primal thing because of our genetic proximity to them.

true story: in my younger (much younger) dazes....i use to date a snake handler from sc...he made his living hunting snakes and milking them for their venom. above his bed was a large piece of driftwood and cargo netting suspended from the ceiling...decore' he said....sooooo one night i wake up in the middle of the night...he is laying on his back smoking a ciggie.....he is looking up....so i snuggle up and look up...he has put a snake in the cargo netting over the bed...and is watching the snake to relax...honey hush....i got my clothes on....laid my key on the night stand and said good bye.

:eusa_hand:

I fucking hate snakes.
I can't understand why any human would want to be anywhere near a snake. Yet some people seem to really like them. They are repulsive to me.

What is the problem?

If someone wants to own a T-Rex let them, just as long as they are able to keep it away from their neighbors using a 50 foot high, 10,000 volt fence.

The truth is that humans have been keeping wild animals for millennium. Royalty used to have menageries that included the big cats, and bear baiting was a common sport in the middle ages. Do you really think dogs and cats decided to move in with us when they say how good we were at farming?

Part of the problem is when these "pet" owners are no longer able to keep and or control their pets. Most will just let them go. This kind of thing is a HUGE problem with "pet" snakes in Florida.

I have had to chase snakes and scorpions out of my yard when I was growing up, and some people in El Paso have had the pets killed by coyotes, or mountain lions. the wild animals are going to be there whether epople keep them as pets or not, the smart thing to do is learn how to deal with them. That way you do not have cops killing a fawn because it got into a neighborhood.

We have one of the most active Humane Societies in the nation here in Ohio. A proposed bill the OHS drafted has been tendered to the governor following the mauling death of a local man, Brent Kandra, by a pet bear. Brent Kandra was on Mazzola's property doing work when he was killed. Mazzola had previously been stripped of his Federal license to exhibit wild animals and had a history of legal problems concerning his animals or attempts to acquire more. Truely, a horrifying case.

Elyria man dies after being mauled by showman's pet bear | cleveland.com

There are so many instances of such deaths (normally though, it is the animal's owner who is killed, not a guest) that the Animal Planet Channel has built a reality tv show on the topic called "Fatal Attractions".

Note: this video is very disturbing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NECsA-AvnmA

The show is so graphic a paper no less jaded than the NY Post called it "extreme". The Animal Planet Channel defended the show, claiming the number of people who own venomous snakes, constrictors, big cats and chimps or apes, etc. has exploded in the past 20 years and the trend shows no sign of slowing. APC says the purpose of the show is to explore the motives people have for owning such animals as pets.

What do you say? Is this a symptom of a new mental illnesses? Should wild animal ownership by private persons be illegal?

Reality TV's new extreme programming - 'Fatal Attractions,' 'Prison Wives' - signals end of an era

What is the problem?

Cats are a different kettle of fish, but dogs we have manipulated so damned much who knows what the original dogs were like. I think if I assaulted Nosmo King, his little poodle would die trying to fend me off and protect her master. But I could slap the snot out of you and that big orange bathmat you call a cat would just snooze. Cats are affectionate and all, but seem to feel something entirely different for their humans than dogs do.

Do you honestly think outlawing wild pets is a bad thing? And if so, do you agree with me that the bear's owner in the Op story should have been charged with a homicide?

We have one of the most active Humane Societies in the nation here in Ohio. A proposed bill the OHS drafted has been tendered to the governor following the mauling death of a local man, Brent Kandra, by a pet bear. Brent Kandra was on Mazzola's property doing work when he was killed. Mazzola had previously been stripped of his Federal license to exhibit wild animals and had a history of legal problems concerning his animals or attempts to acquire more. Truely, a horrifying case.

Elyria man dies after being mauled by showman's pet bear | cleveland.com

There are so many instances of such deaths (normally though, it is the animal's owner who is killed, not a guest) that the Animal Planet Channel has built a reality tv show on the topic called "Fatal Attractions".

Note: this video is very disturbing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NECsA-AvnmA

The show is so graphic a paper no less jaded than the NY Post called it "extreme". The Animal Planet Channel defended the show, claiming the number of people who own venomous snakes, constrictors, big cats and chimps or apes, etc. has exploded in the past 20 years and the trend shows no sign of slowing. APC says the purpose of the show is to explore the motives people have for owning such animals as pets.

What do you say? Is this a symptom of a new mental illnesses? Should wild animal ownership by private persons be illegal?

Reality TV's new extreme programming - 'Fatal Attractions,' 'Prison Wives' - signals end of an era

What is the problem?

Cats are a different kettle of fish, but dogs we have manipulated so damned much who knows what the original dogs were like. I think if I assaulted Nosmo King, his little poodle would die trying to fend me off and protect her master. But I could slap the snot out of you and that big orange bathmat you call a cat would just snooze. Cats are affectionate and all, but seem to feel something entirely different for their humans than dogs do.

Do you honestly think outlawing wild pets is a bad thing? And if so, do you agree with me that the bear's owner in the Op story should have been charged with a homicide?

If it makes a bunch of idiots feel safe it will happen, and people will ignore it. Does that make sense to anyone besides someone who thinks that regulations and laws change people's behavior?

As for the guy in the OP, I didn't read the article, so have no way to answer your question. I am only here because someone thought I would be fun to argue with, but I only argue about things I care about, or to mock some idiots. Neither applies here.

poster%20captive%20wild%20women.jpg

What is the problem?

If it makes a bunch of idiots feel safe it will happen, and people will ignore it. Does that make sense to anyone besides someone who thinks that regulations and laws change people's behavior?

As for the guy in the OP, I didn't read the article, so have no way to answer your question. I am only here because someone thought I would be fun to argue with, but I only argue about things I care about, or to mock some idiots. Neither applies here.

Fair enough. I shall endeavor to better amuse you in the future.

Peace out, brotherman.

I can't understand why any human would want to be anywhere near a snake. Yet some people seem to really like them. They are repulsive to me.

They're only attracted to us for our heat.

I've actually walked up on rattlers, and they run away from me.

I'm too big, and THEY'RE afraid of me.

Let me lie down? They just want to snuggle me up, for my heat.

They mean me no harm, and if I sort of push them off?

They slink off.

Study animals, and their motivations.

If they can't EAT you? They probably don't have any use for you, so you don't have much to fear, unless you threaten their very LIVES.

They're nice, like that, to us.

UNLIKE how WE are, to them...

When we get scared? WE ARE KILLERS. No thought, no compassion, no being MORE than just us.

IF we think they could harm us?

We go into KILL mode.

How the fuck do you think TPTB could play us, the way they most assuredly HAVE,

without knowing that?

It's "A Sad Day In Mudville," folks...

Last edited:
I don't study snakes. I spent about a third of my life in the orient, all snakes there are deadly and you kill them before they kill you. I carry that sentiment with me no matter where I am, I don't do snakes.

I have no snake phobia but their appeal escapes me. But then, so does the idea of owning a grizzly as a pet.

*Color me rational*
I wouldn't want a bear as a pet because they are too big and smelly. But I think the white tigers I've seen on a documentary are magnificently beautiful animals and they appear to be absolutely tame. They were raised from birth by humans and have been living with humans for years with absolutely no problems, clearly because of the comfortable condition of their lives.

They aren't forced to do anything they don't want to do and that seems to be the key to keeping them tame. Their veterinary needs are attended to after they are made unconscious by a drug in their food, so they sleep through all imposed unpleasantness.

This documentary is shown at least once a year on the Animal Planet tv program.

I think it is a control issue with the people who desire to own wild animals.

I think it should be illegal to own wild animals no matter the threat. If you want a pet get a cat or dog, domesticated animals and leave the wild animals alone!

Totally agree.

A wild animal is just that. "A wild animal." It may be cute and cuddley when its young but its going to grow up some day and then the cute and cuddly comes to an end.

A tiger, bear, lion, wolf, coyote, fox, chimp, monkey or any other Wild animal has the capacity to inflict deadly harm on a human.

These are wild animals and they belong in the wild. Not in someones house, apartment or back yard.

Common sense folks. Apparantly there are all kinds out there without a lick of it. Jeeze.

I have no snake phobia but their appeal escapes me. But then, so does the idea of owning a grizzly as a pet.

*Color me rational*
I wouldn't want a bear as a pet because they are too big and smelly. But I think the white tigers I've seen on a documentary are magnificently beautiful animals and they appear to be absolutely tame. They were raised from birth by humans and have been living with humans for years with absolutely no problems, clearly because of the comfortable condition of their lives.

They aren't forced to do anything they don't want to do and that seems to be the key to keeping them tame. Their veterinary needs are attended to after they are made unconscious by a drug in their food, so they sleep through all imposed unpleasantness.

This documentary is shown at least once a year on the Animal Planet tv program.

Ya, but "tame" is relative. The duo Seigfried and Roy a had a tragedy a few years ago when a tiger attacked -- Roy barely survived.

Roy, of 'Siegfried and Roy', attacked by tiger - CNN

Forum List

Back