Should Wild Pets Be Banned?

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Madeline, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    We have one of the most active Humane Societies in the nation here in Ohio. A proposed bill the OHS drafted has been tendered to the governor following the mauling death of a local man, Brent Kandra, by a pet bear. Brent Kandra was on Mazzola's property doing work when he was killed. Mazzola had previously been stripped of his Federal license to exhibit wild animals and had a history of legal problems concerning his animals or attempts to acquire more. Truely, a horrifying case.

Elyria man dies after being mauled by showman's pet bear | cleveland.com

There are so many instances of such deaths (normally though, it is the animal's owner who is killed, not a guest) that the Animal Planet Channel has built a reality tv show on the topic called "Fatal Attractions".

Note: this video is very disturbing.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NECsA-AvnmA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NECsA-AvnmA[/ame]

The show is so graphic a paper no less jaded than the NY Post called it "extreme". The Animal Planet Channel defended the show, claiming the number of people who own venomous snakes, constrictors, big cats and chimps or apes, etc. has exploded in the past 20 years and the trend shows no sign of slowing. APC says the purpose of the show is to explore the motives people have for owning such animals as pets.

What do you say? Is this a symptom of a new mental illnesses? Should wild animal ownership by private persons be illegal?

Reality TV's new extreme programming - 'Fatal Attractions,' 'Prison Wives' - signals end of an era

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Sheldon

Sheldon Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,330
    I always wanted a chimp as a pet. He could ride around town in the passenger seat and I could teach him how to flip pedestrians off. It would be like having an even more immature little brother.

3. The Infidel

The Infidel EVIL CONSERVATIVE

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,173
    :lol:

4. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,922
    i have been bitten by a monkey ...a small one...but it inflicted a lot of harm in a little time...a friend of mine was attacked by a chimp.....bad bite to the hand...another friend worked with chimps in florida and has the scars to prove it...

i love my cats...but they are small and cannot do much damage...if they were large they would

bears are strong predators...simple as that...

5. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    Chimps are quite capable of killing an adult human, silky. I hope you rethink this.

Chimp attack victim Charla Nash discharged from Cleveland Clinic | cleveland.com

6. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,403
  7. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    So bones, do you think people who own such creatures are mentally ill? Do we need a new law outlawing them as pets?

8. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,922
    no i dont think they are mentally ill....my friends mother trained chimps....so of course he got to join the family business....chimps are powerful animals....and not docile...

i think most people who try to own a wild animal have major egos...and that is the problem....we all do stupid things....

me: we are in the smokies when a bear ambles up to the car...i got blueberry muffins and begin to feed the bear thru the side window....when da man ...goes..what the fuck are you gonna do when you run outta muffins.....oooooooo mal....good point....

9. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,403
    I don't think people who own wild animals are mentally ill. I think they are recklessly stupid. I think that they have vanity issues.

Animals are animals. Even domesticated pets can turn on people and kill. Dogs and cats are only 6 months from feral. I don't understand why people think wild animals are tame.

10. zzzz

zzzz Just a regular American

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +429
    I think it is a control issue with the people who desire to own wild animals.

I think it should be illegal to own wild animals no matter the threat. If you want a pet get a cat or dog, domesticated animals and leave the wild animals alone!