Should Wild Pets Be Banned?

Madeline

Rookie
Apr 20, 2010
Cleveland. Feel mah pain.
We have one of the most active Humane Societies in the nation here in Ohio. A proposed bill the OHS drafted has been tendered to the governor following the mauling death of a local man, Brent Kandra, by a pet bear. Brent Kandra was on Mazzola's property doing work when he was killed. Mazzola had previously been stripped of his Federal license to exhibit wild animals and had a history of legal problems concerning his animals or attempts to acquire more. Truely, a horrifying case.

Elyria man dies after being mauled by showman's pet bear | cleveland.com

There are so many instances of such deaths (normally though, it is the animal's owner who is killed, not a guest) that the Animal Planet Channel has built a reality tv show on the topic called "Fatal Attractions".

Note: this video is very disturbing.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NECsA-AvnmA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NECsA-AvnmA[/ame]

The show is so graphic a paper no less jaded than the NY Post called it "extreme". The Animal Planet Channel defended the show, claiming the number of people who own venomous snakes, constrictors, big cats and chimps or apes, etc. has exploded in the past 20 years and the trend shows no sign of slowing. APC says the purpose of the show is to explore the motives people have for owning such animals as pets.

What do you say? Is this a symptom of a new mental illnesses? Should wild animal ownership by private persons be illegal?

Reality TV's new extreme programming - 'Fatal Attractions,' 'Prison Wives' - signals end of an era

I always wanted a chimp as a pet. He could ride around town in the passenger seat and I could teach him how to flip pedestrians off. It would be like having an even more immature little brother.

i have been bitten by a monkey ...a small one...but it inflicted a lot of harm in a little time...a friend of mine was attacked by a chimp.....bad bite to the hand...another friend worked with chimps in florida and has the scars to prove it...

i love my cats...but they are small and cannot do much damage...if they were large they would

bears are strong predators...simple as that...

• Banned
  • Banned
i have been bitten by a monkey ...a small one...but it inflicted a lot of harm in a little time...a friend of mine was attacked by a chimp.....bad bite to the hand...another friend worked with chimps in florida and has the scars to prove it...

i love my cats...but they are small and cannot do much damage...if they were large they would

bears are strong predators...simple as that...

So bones, do you think people who own such creatures are mentally ill? Do we need a new law outlawing them as pets?

no i dont think they are mentally ill....my friends mother trained chimps....so of course he got to join the family business....chimps are powerful animals....and not docile...

i think most people who try to own a wild animal have major egos...and that is the problem....we all do stupid things....

me: we are in the smokies when a bear ambles up to the car...i got blueberry muffins and begin to feed the bear thru the side window....when da man ...goes..what the fuck are you gonna do when you run outta muffins.....oooooooo mal....good point....

I don't think people who own wild animals are mentally ill. I think they are recklessly stupid. I think that they have vanity issues.

Animals are animals. Even domesticated pets can turn on people and kill. Dogs and cats are only 6 months from feral. I don't understand why people think wild animals are tame.

I think it is a control issue with the people who desire to own wild animals.

I think it should be illegal to own wild animals no matter the threat. If you want a pet get a cat or dog, domesticated animals and leave the wild animals alone!

I have a BFF who once owned a dozen adult venomous and constrictor type snakes....and she had small kidlets in the house. She was careful, nothing happened, and we don't talk about it. I know her "dangerous snake" license has expired and in Florida, it's not likely she can get another one...but the desire seems to have passed.

When she owned these snakes, she had a very dark personal life, and I wonder if having a pet capable of killing a human feeds some need to feel powerful when you otherwise don't. (She had an evil fucktard dealing misery to her and her kids at the time.) I suspect this need could rise to the level of a mental illness, though my BFF just moved heaven and earth to straighten her life out, and is very happy today.

I suppose it could also be akin to these extreme sports some people like -- addicted to the danger, etc. If you ask me, no good is served by allowing this to continue and I say HELL YES, outlaw wild pets. That would include wolves, for all the wolfdog enthusiasts reading this thread.

hmmm what about orphan wild animals....fawns are hard to raise now due to all the new regulations...raccoons are still taken in....i have always wanted a crow....they make excellent pets if you get the when they are very young....problem...i dont climb and its hard to convince someone to climb and steal the chick when the momma crow is trying to peck your eyes out....rural areas you just never know who is keeping what for a pet...

fucking wildlife officiers are in between a rock and a hard place...if you raise a fawn from the wild..they must come and take it and kill it...makes for great public relations....but its to prevent the spread of the bleeding disease

true story: in my younger (much younger) dazes....i use to date a snake handler from sc...he made his living hunting snakes and milking them for their venom. above his bed was a large piece of driftwood and cargo netting suspended from the ceiling...decore' he said....sooooo one night i wake up in the middle of the night...he is laying on his back smoking a ciggie.....he is looking up....so i snuggle up and look up...he has put a snake in the cargo netting over the bed...and is watching the snake to relax...honey hush....i got my clothes on....laid my key on the night stand and said good bye.

true story: in my younger (much younger) dazes....i use to date a snake handler from sc...he made his living hunting snakes and milking them for their venom. above his bed was a large piece of driftwood and cargo netting suspended from the ceiling...decore' he said....sooooo one night i wake up in the middle of the night...he is laying on his back smoking a ciggie.....he is looking up....so i snuggle up and look up...he has put a snake in the cargo netting over the bed...and is watching the snake to relax...honey hush....i got my clothes on....laid my key on the night stand and said good bye.

:eusa_hand:

I fucking hate snakes.

no mal...and the guy was a really decent man...but that snake thing....i was willing to accept that was his business....but to bring them inside...

And what if the snake fell through a hole in the netting and lands right on the bed. I'd hop out of that shit so quick, and hit it with a lamp or something. :lol:

Things are nasty. Just the way they move and they way they look. Evil.

hmmm what about orphan wild animals....fawns are hard to raise now due to all the new regulations...raccoons are still taken in....i have always wanted a crow....they make excellent pets if you get the when they are very young....problem...i dont climb and its hard to convince someone to climb and steal the chick when the momma crow is trying to peck your eyes out....rural areas you just never know who is keeping what for a pet...

fucking wildlife officiers are in between a rock and a hard place...if you raise a fawn from the wild..they must come and take it and kill it...makes for great public relations....but its to prevent the spread of the bleeding disease

Lots of tear jerkers along these lines, bones. I never understood why these movies were considered suitable for kids. I am still traumatized by some of them.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPQNQlMvrEs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPQNQlMvrEs[/ame]

cool-story-sis

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2egfIrXJMM&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited:

Forum List

Back