Should we penalize smokers and the obese?

If you give it to them? I know it's illegal to sell, but giving it to them I don't see how the FDA can regulate that any more than giving a friend a venison steak.

No, apparently you cannot give away unpasteurized milk, at least not in this state.

They have to do it that way. Otherwise the laws banning sale are relatively easy to get around. What if I was 'giving' away unpasteurized milk and accepting charitable contributions from the recipients of my gifts? Where do you draw that line? That's why commercial regulation of this nature is so poisonous. It inevitably violates our rights and needlessly inserts the authority of government into personal, private decisions.

Seriously, is this what government's for? To tell us how to eat?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b27EFldZ17k"]Police "Guns Drawn" Raids on Organic Food Stores[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW00OqtQyqw"]RAWESOME RAID[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdLxMKuxyr4"]Ohio food coop raid[/ame]

I think the world's gone nuts. If you have a cow and extra milk and your neighbors are poor and can't afford milk and you give them your extra milk, you can go to jail.

If you give it to them? I know it's illegal to sell, but giving it to them I don't see how the FDA can regulate that any more than giving a friend a venison steak.

No, apparently you cannot give away unpasteurized milk, at least not in this state.

Big Corporations won't even allow you to say your milk is free of artificial hormones.

"In 2003, Monsanto sued Oakhurst Dairy over Oakhurst's label on its milk cartons that said "Our farmer's pledge: no artificial hormones," referring to the use of bovine somatotropin (rBST). Monsanto argued that the label implied that Oakhurst milk was superior to milk from cows treated with rBST, which harmed Monsanto's business. The two companies settled out of court, and it was announced that Oakhurst would add the word "used" at the end of its label, and note that the U.S. FDA claims there is no major difference between milk from rBST-treated and non rBST-treated cows."

Last edited:
The food stamp program cannot be used to buy fresh, unprocessed foods. You can buy a bag of potato chips with your food stamps, but not a fresh, uncooked potato. You can buy a box of pizza pockets, but not a whole uncooked chicken. What kind of nutritional program favors processed foods over fresh?

The food stamp program cannot be used to buy fresh, unprocessed foods. You can buy a bag of potato chips with your food stamps, but not a fresh, uncooked potato. You can buy a box of pizza pockets, but not a whole uncooked chicken. What kind of nutritional program favors processed foods over fresh?

Huh? That is not true. The only thing in my state that I cannot get with food stamps is something from a deli located in the market that is pre made or pre cooked.

Also higher premiums for those who do not eat at least 5 fruits and vegetables each day, sedentary people whether thin or fat, soda drinkers, insomniacs since sleep deprivation severely affects health, those that drive recklessly, and anyone else engaging in any type of unhealthy behaviors. Sounds fair to me. NOT!

Those in high risk professions should pay more as well then.

Police
Firefighters
crane operators
taxi drivers
window washers
construction workers
fisherman
sushi makers...(real sharp knives)
animal handlers in a zoo
drug dealers
explosive manufacturers

and so on and so on.....:tongue:

I am not pissed, I think you are a loon who is on a rant. In my state if I buy as "luxury" item I pay a "luxury" tax. That is punitive especially that I have busted my butt to get the money to pay for the item.

I think you should take that up with your legislators but its an interesting point since, until the ACA, health care was a luxury to many.

Had that where I live back when Romney was governor. "The Massachusetts health care insurance reform law, St. 2006, c.58, informally referred to as Romneycare, is a state law enacted in 2006, signed into law by then-governor Mitt Romney. The law mandates that nearly every resident of Massachusetts obtain a state-government-regulated minimum level of healthcare insurance coverage and provides free health care insurance for residents earning less than 150% of the federal poverty level (FPL)"

I suggest you speak with your legislators.

Yet they still have 215 thousand adults and 43 thousand children still without healthcare.

Also higher premiums for those who do not eat at least 5 fruits and vegetables each day, sedentary people whether thin or fat, soda drinkers, insomniacs since sleep deprivation severely affects health, those that drive recklessly, and anyone else engaging in any type of unhealthy behaviors. Sounds fair to me. NOT!

Those in high risk professions should pay more as well then.

Police
Firefighters
crane operators
taxi drivers
window washers
construction workers
fisherman
sushi makers...(real sharp knives)
animal handlers in a zoo
drug dealers
explosive manufacturers

and so on and so on.....:tongue:

Exactly. And so on.

What we need is a system that itemizes responsibility accurately. Something that encourages people to be accountable for maintaining healthy habits.

Hmmm....

Forum List

Back