Should we legalize marijuana?

Luissa

Annoying Customer
Sep 7, 2008
TARDIS
I was watching Marijuan Inc on CNBC last night and one of the DEA agents I believe said there is no way we are winning the war on drugs and that we are a marijuana society.
If we legalize marijuana completly that would mean government regulations just like there is for tobacco and alchohol even though the drug is habit forming not addictive. It would also either cut down on the amount of illegals entering this country to sale and grow marijuana or more would enter the country. Yes anyone might then be able to have a marijuana farm but what would stop some from hiring illegals to tend to their crop just as they do now?
Then also would we have the Walmart effect by putting the small business owner(your small time drug dealer) out of business because people with larger operations would be able to now sale it at a lower price?I know a few people that support their families by dealing just marijuana!
Plus there is the whole going 'green' issue, wouldn't legalizing and producing marijuana go along with that?
As a former pot head and someone who still smokes it every once in awhile I really don't know how I feel about making it legal. I am of course for decriminalizing it being someones who was arrested for possession of marijuana when I was younger!

It's impossible to win the war on drugs, and it's just wasting resources on non-violent crimes.

Should we legalize marijuana?

Yes.
I know as a liberal this might sound wierd asking this but do you want to then have to pay taxes on it and put people out of business!

I would be fine with it being regulated, taxed, and sold in stores with an ID requirement for purchase. Yeah, it would put some people out of business ... I'm willing to accept that. You?

It's impossible to win the war on drugs, and it's just wasting resources on non-violent crimes.

And it's creates breeding grounds FOR violent crime.
Pretty much! On the special I watched a large amount of the marijuana is coming from big time operations that are out of mexico and columbia but have people growing it here.
I am happy to say living in Washington, we mostly get home grown pot and it is usually small time compared to those guys and it usually is some middle aged white guy running the show!

pretty much and do you ever hear of anyone really being stoned commiting violent crimes!:lol:
Maybe if it was a grocery store!

At the very least, decriminalize it and as long as liquor is legal, pot should be also. Hell, housewives have been on valium for years and it is so much stronger than the very best pot I have smoked( yea, I've smoked some killer pot, Columbian Gold and Panama Red in the late seventies..... incredibly good). I smoked almost everyday for 35 years, quit to get a job I wanted. Just like alcohol it's best in moderation, a couple of one-hits in the morning, couple more for the afternoon buzz and a few more for the evening....... less than probably half a joint. This, of course, depended on your work. When I was a draftsman and I did a little at lunch I would usually really get into the drawing and would get a lot more done. It's not for everyone just as drinking isn't but under the right circumstances it's great..... I miss it.

Last edited:

Pretty much! On the special I watched a large amount of the marijuana is coming from big time operations that are out of mexico and columbia but have people growing it here.
I am happy to say living in Washington, we mostly get home grown pot and it is usually small time compared to those guys and it usually is some middle aged white guy running the show!

Most of the pot around here comes from Canada but the small time indoor operations are around too (and produce very high quality dank). I haven't even heard of any of dirt weed being around in a LONG time. It's like one year in the late 90's it just disappeared.

I think it would be fun to grow a plant or two if they legalized it.

Most of the pot around here comes from Canada but the small time indoor operations are around too (and produce very high quality dank). I haven't even heard of any of dirt weed being around in a LONG time. It's like one year in the late 90's it just disappeared.

Yeah it would be!
We get a lot of BC bud here but it isn't as good as the stuff grown locally, the Olympia area in Washington probably has the best pot I ever had also.
My worry also would be get dirt weed all the time if they legalize it, mass production would kill marijuana!

Yeah it would be!
We get a lot of BC bud here but it isn't as good as the stuff grown locally, the Olympia area in Washington probably has the best pot I ever had also.
My worry also would be get dirt weed all the time if they legalize it, mass production would kill marijuana!

lol ... the BCs yep! They ship that stuff there too then, huh? Your market sounds a lot like mine.

And I wouldn't worry about being limited to dirt weed. There will be a market for a quality product.

I wonder how many drug addled waste of space morons started out on marijuana?

I say no, let them do it illegaly at least that way everyone elses conscience is clear.

Legalize it, collect the taxes. It's a 'gateway drug' ONLY because it's illegal.

The next gateway drug would be? Whatever it turned out to be would then be up for debate to be legalised.

The next gateway drug would be? Whatever it turned out to be would then be up for debate to be legalised.
Then that would be dealt with. Prohibition let the mafia flourish, now it's drugs.

Then that would be dealt with. Prohibition let the mafia flourish, now it's drugs.

They had drugs then as well.It is a problem that will never go away but it has to be policed or you will end up with druggies rolling around on every street corner.I have seen first hand what drugs do to families.

They had drugs then as well.It is a problem that will never go away but it has to be policed or you will end up with druggies rolling around on every street corner.I have seen first hand what drugs do to families.

The damage they do? Immeasurable. However, same with alcohol. There were few if any drug laws in 19th century, plenty of opium eaters, (some damn good writers with the addiction), however most people never touched it. Same with grass throughout the early 20th C, when not illegal. Used recreationally in 'hip' areas.

Forum List

Back