Should we legalize marijuana?

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by Luissa, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Luissa

Luissa Annoying Customer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    I was watching Marijuan Inc on CNBC last night and one of the DEA agents I believe said there is no way we are winning the war on drugs and that we are a marijuana society.
    If we legalize marijuana completly that would mean government regulations just like there is for tobacco and alchohol even though the drug is habit forming not addictive. It would also either cut down on the amount of illegals entering this country to sale and grow marijuana or more would enter the country. Yes anyone might then be able to have a marijuana farm but what would stop some from hiring illegals to tend to their crop just as they do now?
    Then also would we have the Walmart effect by putting the small business owner(your small time drug dealer) out of business because people with larger operations would be able to now sale it at a lower price?I know a few people that support their families by dealing just marijuana!
    Plus there is the whole going 'green' issue, wouldn't legalizing and producing marijuana go along with that?
    As a former pot head and someone who still smokes it every once in awhile I really don't know how I feel about making it legal. I am of course for decriminalizing it being someones who was arrested for possession of marijuana when I was younger!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. Article 15

Article 15 Dr. House slayer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,859
    Should we legalize marijuana?

Yes.

3. Luissa

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    I know as a liberal this might sound wierd asking this but do you want to then have to pay taxes on it and put people out of business!

4. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,027
    It's impossible to win the war on drugs, and it's just wasting resources on non-violent crimes.

5. Article 15

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,859
    I would be fine with it being regulated, taxed, and sold in stores with an ID requirement for purchase. Yeah, it would put some people out of business ... I'm willing to accept that. You?

6. Article 15

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,859
    And it's creates breeding grounds FOR violent crime.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. michiganFats

michiganFats BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Yes.

8. Luissa

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    Pretty much! On the special I watched a large amount of the marijuana is coming from big time operations that are out of mexico and columbia but have people growing it here.
    I am happy to say living in Washington, we mostly get home grown pot and it is usually small time compared to those guys and it usually is some middle aged white guy running the show!

9. Luissa

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    pretty much and do you ever hear of anyone really being stoned commiting violent crimes!:lol:
    Maybe if it was a grocery store!

10. sitarro

sitarro Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,001
    At the very least, decriminalize it and as long as liquor is legal, pot should be also. Hell, housewives have been on valium for years and it is so much stronger than the very best pot I have smoked( yea, I've smoked some killer pot, Columbian Gold and Panama Red in the late seventies..... incredibly good). I smoked almost everyday for 35 years, quit to get a job I wanted. Just like alcohol it's best in moderation, a couple of one-hits in the morning, couple more for the afternoon buzz and a few more for the evening....... less than probably half a joint. This, of course, depended on your work. When I was a draftsman and I did a little at lunch I would usually really get into the drawing and would get a lot more done. It's not for everyone just as drinking isn't but under the right circumstances it's great..... I miss it.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009