Should We Jack The Debt Limit ?

why did the last time you guys try to default on our debt did our ratings get down graded then?

how would it twart distruction you fool?
Thwart - my key board is sticking badly. If we were on a path of destruction because we were borrowing and spending more than what we can pay back, and the service on that debt was becoming to burdensome, is denying an increase an option?

and you pose that that is where we are?

No that would NOT Fix anything though
We are definately on that trajectory; the debt cannot grow continuously! Why wouldn't it stop our borrowing?

here is one way to think of it.

we are a big family and will have children and grand children and grand grand grand children.

If you are building infrastructure to be used by them so you can improve their futures your debt in reasonable.

You see people die but countries are NOT designed to die

Congress has raised the debt ceiling 78 times since 1960.

True.......but it's never been this high, has it?

If you want to become Greece get rid of the debt-ceiling.

debt-ceiling-raises-by-president-rr-to-bo.jpg

The debt ceiling does not curtail spending, congress can, does, and will continue to raise it as high as they want.

I'm sure they will.....and lose the confidence of lenders in the process. We've already dropped our credit rating once already and it's getting to the point that nobody trusts our government anywhere. Their reckless actions have made us a joke in the world economy. Soon nobody will lend us any.

Obama has been trying to minimize the debt by monetizing it through Quantitative Easing. Printing billions of dollars to keep beneath the debt-ceiling causes inflation and basically steals from you and me. The value of our cash sinks as that reckless POS spender continues to spend. It's basically a tax on all of us.

Last edited:
A certain level of debt is actually SMART if you are buying the right things.

the way you lower the debt is to steam on the economy so you get more revenue.

we are NO where near collapsing.

We do need to spend on the right things though

You see the lower your rating the MORE you pay to barrow
I understand full well the mechanics involved. Stop beating around the bush. If we were on a path of continued borrowing, would it make since to default? If financial collapse comes we will have no credit!

You still owe it if you default.

Now you will just have a higher interest rate

You see if you did really understand it like you claim to you would already know it would be really dumb to default

The debt ceiling does not curtail spending, congress can, does, and will continue to raise it as high as they want.

I'm sure they will.....and lose the confidence of lenders in the process. We've already dropped our credit rating once already and it's getting to the point that nobody trusts our government anywhere. Their reckless actions have made us a joke in the world economy. Soon nobody will lend us any.

Obama has been trying to minimize the debt by monetizing it through Quantitative Easing. Printing billions of dollars to keep beneath the debt-ceiling causes inflation and basically steals from you and me. The value of our cash sinks as that reckless POS spender continues to spend. It's basically a tax on all of us.
I completely undersand that.

What the tea party did by playing with our credit rating was completely unprecidented and idiotic

Congress has raised the debt ceiling 78 times since 1960.

The debt ceiling is only now being used as a tool to curtail spending.

It is proving to be a powerful one, as we saw from the budget act of 2011.

You see the lower your rating the MORE you pay to barrow
I understand full well the mechanics involved. Stop beating around the bush. If we were on a path of continued borrowing, would it make since to default? If financial collapse comes we will have no credit!

Do you understand that raising the debt ceiling IS NOT "continued borrowing"??

they always pretend they understand it all but say such silly things which PROVE they dont know what they are talking about

did you guys even LOOK at the chart of who caused the debt?

Democrat Congresses, to the tune of about 90% of it if you consider the fact that Reid has refused to do budgets for purposes of locking in their destructive trillion dollar deficits from fiscal 2009.

Put Democrats in charge of the checkbook, and disaster ensues.

Forum List

Back