Should We Hit North Korea With An EMP?

It is never good policy to take revenge when an opponent discovers and takes advantage of one of your weaknesses. Better to strengthen the weakness so it can not be used against you in future attacks. Allow your opponent to have false sense of confidence and attempt a similar attack after you have prepared for it.

So in Pearl Harbor we should have just strengthened our air defenses? All we should do is sit and defend? That's ridiculous.
No, I recognize the difference between an offensive measure made as a defense against further attack, and a response based on emotion and for revenge.

No, you don't. If North Korea did this and it was against an American company, it is clearly an attack which should be responded to forcefully. However, as I already pointed out, it isn't an American company, it's a Japanese one and we aren't policeman to the world. You as liberals always do even when you have the right position it's for the wrong reason.

The measures being suggested in this thread do not seem to address the issue and suggest an escalation that would include the general public. I would be in favor of wreaking havoc on North Korea's abilities to mount a similar attack and attacking an entity of theirs with a similar hacking attack that would be many times more costly to them than the one they waged on Sony. Sony being a Japanese company, I would suggest they occupy the front line of attack.

You ALWAYS escalate if you respond Responding in kind is the dumbest thing you can do. Better to ignore it. You're a terrible strategist.
It's a multi-national company with a movie studio and thousands of stock holders (owners). They are due protection from foreign governments.

I'm tired of that whole policeman to the world thing, you can have it

It is never good policy to take revenge when an opponent discovers and takes advantage of one of your weaknesses. Better to strengthen the weakness so it can not be used against you in future attacks. Allow your opponent to have false sense of confidence and attempt a similar attack after you have prepared for it.

So in Pearl Harbor we should have just strengthened our air defenses? All we should do is sit and defend? That's ridiculous.
No, I recognize the difference between an offensive measure made as a defense against further attack, and a response based on emotion and for revenge.

No, you don't. If North Korea did this and it was against an American company, it is clearly an attack which should be responded to forcefully. However, as I already pointed out, it isn't an American company, it's a Japanese one and we aren't policeman to the world. You as liberals always do even when you have the right position it's for the wrong reason.

The measures being suggested in this thread do not seem to address the issue and suggest an escalation that would include the general public. I would be in favor of wreaking havoc on North Korea's abilities to mount a similar attack and attacking an entity of theirs with a similar hacking attack that would be many times more costly to them than the one they waged on Sony. Sony being a Japanese company, I would suggest they occupy the front line of attack.

You ALWAYS escalate if you respond Responding in kind is the dumbest thing you can do. Better to ignore it. You're a terrible strategist.
It's a multi-national company with a movie studio and thousands of stock holders (owners). They are due protection from foreign governments.

This isn't "policing the world" this is retaliating against an act of state sponsored terror. Huge difference. They're not in the stone age like so many morons on this thread have been saying, but we should put them there. Can they retaliate with an EMP against us? Not if they can't even communicate with their own satellites. Yeah, they have those. Not so unsophisticated after all.

Does it matter to the RW cranks that there is no proof that N Korea is responsible for the hacking?

This isn't "policing the world" this is retaliating against an act of state sponsored terror. Huge difference. They're not in the stone age like so many morons on this thread have been saying, but we should put them there. Can they retaliate with an EMP against us? Not if they can't even communicate with their own satellites. Yeah, they have those. Not so unsophisticated after all.

I don't expect you to read the whole thread, so I'll re-cap.

Yes, it is policing the world because Sony is a Japanese company. If it were an American company, then I am behind retaliation. But retaliating for foreign companies against foreign countries is certainly policing the world. My philosophy if it were an American company is to retaliate 10 times over.

Yes, it is policing the world because Sony is a Japanese company. If it were an American company, then I am behind retaliation. But retaliating for foreign companies against foreign countries is certainly policing the world. My philosophy if it were an American company is to retaliate 10 times over.
Then you should be on board with this. And by the way this is my thread so of course I read it all.

Sony's assets are almost all here and they pay monstrous taxes on the business they do here. The threat was made on US operations, releasing a movie in American theaters. This in every way was an attack on an American business.

Then you should be on board with this. And by the way this is my thread so of course I read it all.

Sony's assets are almost all here and they pay monstrous taxes on the business they do here. The threat was made on US operations, releasing a movie in American theaters. This in every way was an attack on an American business.

OK, but you seemed to not know what my position was, I've said it several times. And obviously we agree on most things. But no with this I'm not on board, it's a Japanese company. That we allow our neighbor's kids to eat dinner with us any time they want, every night if choose, doesn't mean that we're responsible for their college tuition. This is Japan's responsibility. Of course I would support them, but I would not do it for them.

Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc. (SPE) is the American entertainment subsidiary of Japanese multinational technology and media conglomerate Sony.

Sony Pictures Entertainment - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Sony and SPE have facilities and shareholders in the United States. SPE, the target of the attacks is headquartered in Culver City California. It is, for all intents and purposes, a US corporation.

OK, but you seemed to not know what my position was, I've said it several times. And obviously we agree on most things. But no with this I'm not on board, it's a Japanese company. That we allow our neighbor's kids to eat dinner with us any time they want, every night if choose, doesn't mean that we're responsible for their college tuition. This is Japan's responsibility. Of course I would support them, but I would not do it for them.
There's some kind of disconnect here. Your neighbors kids don't pay taxes to you so your analogy flops right there. Sony isn't a neighbor kid, it's a major American based multi billion dollar corporation that pays taxes here and is a significant part of our economy. It's unreasonable to deny them protection.

Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc. (SPE) is the American entertainment subsidiary of Japanese multinational technology and media conglomerate Sony.

Sony and SPE have facilities and shareholders in the United States. SPE, the target of the attacks is headquartered in Culver City California. It is, for all intents and purposes, a US corporation.

Nope, Japanese. I'm not interested in hair splitting to justify an action. The US Constitution doesn't give authority to use the military for foreign companies. I like Sony, I like the Japanese, it's not an issue of not being for them. It's an issue of not doing it for them.

There's some kind of disconnect here. Your neighbors kids don't pay taxes to you so your analogy flops right there. Sony isn't a neighbor kid, it's a major American based multi billion dollar corporation that pays taxes here and is a significant part of our economy. It's unreasonable to deny them protection.

That something is no identical in every way does not make it not an analogy. And that I am denying them protection is a strawman, I am not fighting overseas for them.

Nope, Japanese. I'm not interested in hair splitting to justify an action. The US Constitution doesn't give authority to use the military for foreign companies. I like Sony, I like the Japanese, it's not an issue of not being for them. It's an issue of not doing it for them.

It is Japanese, but the point is moot; the Constitution doesn't give the military (or Congress) the authority to act on behalf of foreign OR domestic companies. Really doesn't matter where it's based.

I don't hear a lot of people discussing this as a plausible way to strike back at the Norks. What other alternatives do we have....to put them back on the terrorist watch list? I'm sure they're quaking in their commie boots!

emp_bomb_226.gif

And I really don't like the idea of conventional attacks. What are we going to shed blood because of an internet hack? Doesn't seem right.

I just think that if North Korea wants to engage in electronic international warfare, we should give them a taste of what we can do. You say North Korea doesn't have a lot of electronics? They had enough to bring a multi billion dollar company to it's knees inside the United States. And because it's estimated that the amount of information they stole might take up their entire storage infrastructure, an EMP blast might just cause them to lose much or all of the information they're extorting Sony with.

Just and idea. I'm no expert on these things, but would like to know what others think.

09korea1-articleLarge-490x294.jpg

"EMP burst over all NK Intel facilities"

What is the appropriate response to N. Korea US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Hire Monty Python to do a Movie about North Korea, it would totally devastate the country, their depression would be unbearable, and maybe the half the Chinese leadership would die laughing..the two stone stratagem.

It is Japanese, but the point is moot; the Constitution doesn't give the military (or Congress) the authority to act on behalf of foreign OR domestic companies. Really doesn't matter where it's based.

Say huh? Providing for the common defense of the American people is one of the most basic principles if not the most basic principle of the document. What you said is like saying a cook book has no recipes. Explain what is more basic than protecting the people of the United States in the Constitution? You have mental issues.

Say huh? Providing for the common defense of the American people is one of the most basic principles if not the most basic principle of the document. What you said is like saying a cook book has no recipes. Explain what is more basic than protecting the people of the United States in the Constitution? You have mental issues.

Let's run that back in slo-mo. See if you catch it.

Providing for the common defense of the American people is one of the most basic principles if not the most basic principle of the document

Indeed.
Oh I left a little clue in there. See if you can spot it.

Sony is not a "who". It's a "what".

Mental issues... SMH

I love hearing the idiots opine about what the Constition allows for our military. In fact, the Constitution allows broad discretionary power for our government to deploy our forces, form alliances, and sign treaties. The Branch Paulinians can whine about our global military presence, but they cannot claim it's unconstitutional. We have forces in South Korea. If anyone attacks North Korea, we'll defend it. Same with Japan.

So much for Kaz's idiotic theory that we don't fight for foreign nations.

Forum List

Back